Bobby Abreu... has won a Gold Glove Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Abreu... has won a Gold Glove Award

How does something like this happen? I never bought into most of the talk about him being an absolutely awful RF, but a Gold Glover? Is this a sick joke?

Originally posted by MasonDixon

How does something like this happen? I never bought into most of the talk about him being an absolutely awful RF, but a Gold Glover? Is this a sick joke?
    If it is not a sick joke, this award proves how meaningless Gold Glove awards are. Abreu did not have a good year in the field this year, and he has been consistently awful since the Phillies installed him in right. However, this award might make him more attractive in a trade.

Is there a rightfielder who fields his position worse than Abreu? Is there anybody less willing to injure himself in pursuit of a fly ball?

Comment

Originally posted by MasonDixon

Is this a sick joke?
      Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It's a shame he gets this award because he really dogs it in the outfield. It's not worth it to Abreu to hustle in the outfield and risk hurting himself ,because if he does, the stats that he loves so much might suffer.
      "For who? For what?" - Ricky Watters

Comment

It's all about rep. He enhanced his overall rep by hitting all those homers at the AS game. What a joke. Did you hear Gillick gushing about him and Burrell today? Yikes! Gonna be another long year next year!

Comment

Originally posted by johncap
          It's all about rep. He enhanced his overall rep by hitting all those homers at the AS game. What a joke. Did you hear Gillick gushing about him and Burrell today? Yikes! Gonna be another long year next year!
          Sometimes you can overlook a good thing when its right in front of you. Abreu is a quality major league outfielder, and has been for years. Burrell is getting close. Rollins is on the verge of being a great player...Utley and Howard look like they have potential.... there is a good nucleus here...

as for Abreu, who is better in the NL? the only other option may be Guillen...
          Walker is too old and hobbled up, and a lot of the other RFs were journeymen or young guys...

Great Ball Teams: Tigers '68, Phils '80, Tigers '84

Comment

Originally posted by LP fan
            Sometimes you can overlook a good thing when its right in front of you. Abreu is a quality major league outfielder, and has been for years. Burrell is getting close. Rollins is on the verge of being a great player...Utley and Howard look like they have potential.... there is a good nucleus here...

as for Abreu, who is better in the NL? the only other option may be Guillen...
            Walker is too old and hobbled up, and a lot of the other RFs were journeymen or young guys...
            And sometimes the old adage, "there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics" rears it's ugly head. The guy is a stone cold dog! Roof roof! He's petrified of the fence and quits on more balls than Tony Gonzalez (the baseball player, not the tight end), he makes more mental mistakes than Jeff Stone and he's the LEAST clutch ~.300 hitter in the majors.

Other than that he's great. Let's hope to God Stand Pat doesn't stand pat. Neither of the corner outfielders hits in the clutch and neither is downright dependable when it really counts.

Hell, third inning, 5-1 game, both are superstars. Loosey goosey, dynamite. Eigth inning, 3-3 game, they both melt like spring snow on a chimney top.

Abreu is the FIRST move I make. Especially now that he's got another crown to add to his trade value. Because mark my words, in two years he'll be a run of the mill .265 hitter who's timid in the outfield and will have ZERO trade value. Which is what makes him our kind of guy.

To answer your question, I'd take Jeff Francouer, Shawn Green, absolutely Brian Giles, today, over him in the NL, and in the AL there aren't too many I WOULDN'T take over him!

This year get the MLB package and watch some Phillies games. You'll be enlightened.

Comment

And sometimes the old adage, "there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics" rears it's ugly head. The guy is a stone cold dog! Roof roof! He's petrified of the fence and quits on more balls than Tony Gonzalez (the baseball player, not the tight end), he makes more mental mistakes than Jeff Stone and he's the LEAST clutch ~.300 hitter in the majors.

Other than that he's great. Let's hope to God Stand Pat doesn't stand pat. Neither of the corner outfielders hits in the clutch and neither is downright dependable when it really counts.

Hell, third inning, 5-1 game, both are superstars. Loosey goosey, dynamite. Eigth inning, 3-3 game, they both melt like spring snow on a chimney top.

Abreu is the FIRST move I make. Especially now that he's got another crown to add to his trade value. Because mark my words, in two years he'll be a run of the mill .265 hitter who's timid in the outfield and will have ZERO trade value. Which is what makes him our kind of guy.

To answer your question, I'd take Jeff Francouer, Shawn Green, absolutely Brian Giles, today, over him in the NL, and in the AL there aren't too many I WOULDN'T take over him!

This year get the MLB package and watch some Phillies games. You'll be enlightened.
              another point of view:

Abreu's steadiness finally got him noticed. Runners have long ago stopped challenging his cannon arm and he rarely leaves his feet, but the Venezuelan seldom misses a game -- or a play that has to be made.

2005 GOLD GLOVE WINNERS

P Kenny Rogers 4 Greg Maddux 15
              C Jason Varitek 1 Mike Matheny 4
              1B Mark Teixeira 1 Derrek Lee 2
              2B Orlando Hudson 1 Luis Castillo 3
              SS Derek Jeter 2 Omar Vizquel 10
              3B Eric Chavez 5 Mike Lowell 1
              OF Torii Hunter 5 Andruw Jones 8
              OF Vernon Wells 2 Jim Edmonds 8
              OF Ichiro Suzuki 5 Bobby Abreu 1

all those managers and coaches can't be that wrong.....and they all have pretty good seats to watch the games from....Francoeur? he's only played a half year..aren't you jumping the gun a bit???

Comment

all those managers and coaches can't be that wrong.....and they all have pretty good seats to watch the games from....Francoeur? he's only played a half year..aren't you jumping the gun a bit???
                Really? The quality of the decisions the likes of Charlie Manuel made on the field last year is supposed instill confidence that his ilk recognizes the value of a defensive player that anyone here who knows baseball clearly sees as timid and avoids any kind of difficult play? I referenced Tony Gonzalez earlier for a very good reason. In his day, the early 60s, he set a record for consecutive errorless chances in the OF, which kind of puts an exclamation point on my earlier reference to stats being a kind of lie. The pure and simple fact about Tony G was he never went after anything that wasn't hit right at him. He never dove, never left his feet and only played the safe chances. It's an afront to a guy like Larry Bowa who gave his all on every ball and led the league year after year in every defensive category including attempts assists, fewest errors but won exactly how many Gold Gloves? And why was that? Because Dave Concepcion was a better hitter. No other reason. Abreu's stock rose because of his show at the AS game, no other reason. He was third on the Phillies in OF assists behind a part time player in Jason Michaels, and spare me that they were afraid of his arm. He's no Johnny Callison! He has a strong but relatively inaccurate arm, and he's not feared because half the time he's taking the wrong route or lolly gagging after the ball. Pat Burrell has had more assists than him every year they've played together but two and no one will mistake him for Roberto Clemente anytime soon either.
                Last edited by johncap; 11-03-2005, 08:18 AM.

Comment

another point of view:

Abreu's steadiness finally got him noticed. Runners have long ago stopped challenging his cannon arm and he rarely leaves his feet, but the Venezuelan seldom misses a game -- or a play that has to be made.

2005 GOLD GLOVE WINNERS

P Kenny Rogers 4 Greg Maddux 15
                  C Jason Varitek 1 Mike Matheny 4
                  1B Mark Teixeira 1 Derrek Lee 2
                  2B Orlando Hudson 1 Luis Castillo 3
                  SS Derek Jeter 2 Omar Vizquel 10
                  3B Eric Chavez 5 Mike Lowell 1
                  OF Torii Hunter 5 Andruw Jones 8
                  OF Vernon Wells 2 Jim Edmonds 8
                  OF Ichiro Suzuki 5 Bobby Abreu 1

If you continue to make comments like the above, you will continue to have zero credibility. Abreu is a lousy rightfielder; if you worship him, you are worshipping a golden calf, not a gold glove. Abreu seldom misses a game because he tip toes around the outfield like the timid little man he is. Where the hell is your common sense? If it were true that Abreu was the best rightfielder in the NL (and he is not even close to that), then the gold glove award should have been vacated for 2005.

Comment

I'm all for Bobby winning the Gold Glove because it means Endy has a pretty good chance of getting voted MVP.
                    The Phillies Barstool Lives!

Comment

As a group of Gold Glovers the NL team can really hit.
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                        As a group of Gold Glovers the NL team can really hit.
                        Then give them a Gold Bat.
                        The Phillies Barstool Lives!

Comment

I too haven't noticed Abreu to have a great glove.
                          Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

The facts don't support you.... a good idea to compare Abreu with Giles: not counting the first two years of their careers, when they didn't get many at bats, Giles has 9 years experience with 3 clubs, Abreu 8 years patrolling the outfield with the phillies.

At bats per year: Abreu 565; Giles 503 abreu is either more durable or puts the ball into play more;
                            runs per year: Abreu 104; Giles 92 - you're giving up some runs scored
                            RBIs per year: Abreu 94; Giles 92 - pretty much a wash
                            HR per year: Abreu 23; Giles 27 - pretty much a wash
                            offensively, abreu is better with runs scored and stolen bases

Fielding:

Total chances per year: Abreu 309; Giles 294
                            Abreu gets to more balls per year - so that timid stuff is just a load of cr#p
                            Put outs per year: Abreu 293; Giles 280 - encore
                            Assists per year: Abreu 10.6; Giles 8.4
                            Errors per year: Abreu 5.5; Giles 5.78
                            FPCT: Abreu 0.982; Giles 0.981

Abreu is a better right fielder - no contest

maybe you need to get the mlb package and watch some more padres games

Comment

Here's an assignment for you, LP fan. Analyze your stats, and you tell us what they do not cover and where they fall short.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X