Bobby Abreu... has won a Gold Glove Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ed hardiman
    Rickey's clearly discussing the importance of intangibles not statistics...
    Well, then you're quite obviously daft.

In fact, here's the headline and the tagline to the article that quote is pulled from:

GOODBYE TO SOME OLD BASEBALL IDEAS

The 'Brain' of the game unveils formula that statistically disproves cherished myths and demonstrates what really wins

by Branch Rickey

These are the very things we're discussing about Abreu lacking.
    So while SD was exceedingly Freudian to paste a passage impaling his cherished notion statistics solely measure the value of a player I surely thought a towering arbiter of intellect like yourself easily grasped the suitably obvious irony of SD hoisting himself on his own petard.
    Actually, Rickey supports my position.

And I've yet to find any evidence whatsoever that I've positioned the idea that a player's value is "solely" based on his numbers.

The only irony is that you continue to attempt to position yourself as an intellectual, yet fail miserably at being able to accurately interpret even simple passages and have continually relied on being intellectually dishonest during this debate.

I like many others in this thread base their opinion on actually observing Abreu play on the field and consequently find the statistically driven uninitiated unable to draw a proper inference and incapable of expressing themselves in an adult manner befitting reasonable discourse.
    Translation: "Ed's ignorant about the entire concept of statistical analysis as it pertains to baseball, so his mission is to debase the use of analytics rather than to undertand their relevance."

I don't own a dog.
    Considering the quality of your posts during this discussion, if you had a dog I have no doubt that he'd own you.

Comment

I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere. Your etch-a-sketch analysis is hard to follow...
      so you're what...14?
      RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
      Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
      Infamous butcher,
      Angel of Death

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravenlord
        so you're what...14?
        No actually I'm not. Thanks for asking.
        The Phillies Barstool Lives!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelSD
          "This space for rent"
          Boy that hurt my feelings.

Comment

No actually I'm not. Thanks for asking.
            then how about you act appropriately to your age? if you're older than 16, changing a post of objective points to a bunch of 'blah, blah, blah,' is decidingly lacking in maturity. and tells more about you than choosing to totally ignore everything resembling a point in this thread while positioning yourself on continual false premise (read as putting words in people's mouths) with fanatic like reverence.

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
            Infamous butcher,
            Angel of Death

Comment

then how about you act appropriately to your age? if you're older than 16, changing a post of objective points to a bunch of 'blah, blah, blah,' is decidingly lacking in maturity. and tells more about you than choosing to totally ignore everything resembling a point in this thread while positioning yourself on continual false premise (read as putting words in people's mouths) with fanatic like reverence.
              Your point is well taken I suppose but then again since SD has practiced unhindered the clumsy art of insult I think he should speak for himself but given the very real indication he's only capable of cutting and pasting and hurling insults without provication it surprises me not in the least to see you take up where he can't possibly follow. As for your baseless remarks about my character I suggest you read the thread and put his behavior in context before you find fault with me.

Comment

• As for your baseless remarks about my character I suggest you read the thread and put his behavior in context before you find fault with me.
                as i've read it, you keep claiming people are making a point that is the exact opposite of the one they've made, and now you're frustrated that you keep running into:

A). the brick wall of reality that you can't keep claiming people are saying things that they're not (but on the other hand, that could get a job for a newspaper).

or

B). unwillingness to even attempt to understand a majority of what has been said in this thread, so now you've been forced to using the only bullet you have left in hoping that it's silver: "childishness."

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
                Infamous butcher,
                Angel of Death

Comment

I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere. Your etch-a-sketch analysis is hard to follow...
                  Y'know, at least you TRY to smack talk a little bit. You're no good at it, but the effort is nice and, at minimum, it's a little creative. Bully for you!

Heck, if you keep working at it you might improve to the point of being mediocre. But hey, everyone needs a goal. The refreshing thing is that your ilk is generally too lazy to continue along an intellectually dishonest path while fighting a losing battle because they tend to be afraid of losing all credibility; the inevitable result of your modus operandi. But you? You seem to welcome the opportunity to say stupid things. Not that I don't like whacking your "rebuttal" softballs out of the park. It just tends to get boring after a while, that's all.

Now, you want to actually talk about real baseball or just your myopic version of it? At least donzblock is trying to work everything through. I'll talk with that guy all day because his responses actually demonstrate that he's interested in...oh...I dunno...LEARNING? Heck, I learn stuff by researching the info I need to respond to his positions.

But you? Heck, all I've learned there is that you're someone I wouldn't trust to tell me what's happing in a game if you were sitting next to me at the stadium. An empty chair would divulge as much relevant information as you and at least I'd have someplace to sit my nachos and beer.

You've basically got one more post to demonstrate some kind of intellectual proficiency, reading comprehension, and a base level of honesty. After that, I'm done wasting my time with the likes of you.

Comment

Your point is well taken I suppose but then again since SD has practiced unhindered the clumsy art of insult I think he should speak for himself but given the very real indication he's only capable of cutting and pasting and hurling insults without provication it surprises me not in the least to see you take up where he can't possibly follow. As for your baseless remarks about my character I suggest you read the thread and put his behavior in context before you find fault with me.
                    You are ignorant as to how statistical analysis pertains to baseball as I am ignorant as to how to play a piano.

Neither is a qualitative inference. Both are nothing but truth. The difference is that you neither understand or care about your limitation.

Secondly, your methodology demands that you create numerous strawmen even though you've been told multiple times (and have a TON of demonstrable evidence in this very thread) that others do not and have never positioned the arguments you claim they have. The methodology is, at minimum, intellectually dishonest and demonstrates a lack of ability to process information.

Now, considering how unequivocably inaccurate you've been during this discussion, you'd love to degenerate the conversation into an area where poster behavior rather than baseball was the topic, but I'm not going to let you do that. It's too common a practice and too easily identified.

Either you talk about baseball from here on out or you remove yourself from the conversation. Your choice.

Comment

as i've read it, you keep claiming people are making a point that is the exact opposite of the one they've made, and now you're frustrated that you keep running into:
                      A). the brick wall of reality that you can't keep claiming people are saying things that they're not (but on the other hand, that could get a job for a newspaper).
                      or
                      B). unwillingness to even attempt to understand a majority of what has been said in this thread, so now you've been forced to using the only bullet you have left in hoping that it's silver: "childishness."
                      The simple fact is SD has called everyone in here every name he can think of in an futile exercise of puerile self aggrandizement if that eludes you nothing I can say will illuminate it further.
                      As for lacking in logic or understanding I think it painfully obdurate of SD, PAP, etc. to lecture anyone in this thread.
                      Unfortunately in life there are people who do not agree with SD, are not ignorant for doing so and fully capable in a written forum of expressing themselves without SD's approval.
                      If SD insists on being insulting he should get used to being treated in kind and just as plainly when he gets a taste of his own medicine he acts like a child.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelSD
                        ...I am ignorant...
                        Finally we agree.

Comment

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
                          Infamous butcher,
                          Angel of Death

Comment

• Finally we agree.

will i get to '1' before "Black No. 1" ends?
                            Last edited by Ravenlord; 11-18-2005, 02:10 AM.

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
                            Infamous butcher,
                            Angel of Death

Comment

• Oh wait is this where I have to remove myself from the conversation at your behest?
                              Let's see so far I've maintained Abreu is a good player but lacking the intangibles neccessary to help the Phil's reach post season, is valuable to trade to get much needed pitching and is not a Gold Glove caliber player.
                              I'm once again not clear as to what you find so offensive, I base my opinion on facts I don't get lost in a thicket of abstract minutia.
                              You're welcome to plumb such depths as you see fit.
                              I don't care what you think until such time as you simply make a point and stop making judgements on the character, intellect and integrity of those who post here.
                              But of course that's not going to happen is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by LP fan
                                I'm only a bit player on this board, but I see the value of Abreu, the hitter, and do not agree with the others that he should be traded.....even though many would suggest he did not deserve the gold glove, I am happy for him, and proud as a phillie fan...just as I delight in the Rollins hit streak
                                LP fan, if I were you (particularly considering that I'm a Reds fan) I'd be proud to be a Phillies fan as well. Your team has a very good offense.

In 2005, the average MLB offense scored 4 or fewer Runs 89 times. The Phillies scored 4 or fewer Runs 81 times. That's a good thing because it's a key indicator that the Phillies will improve a great deal with better pitching. That's all they need to do.

In fact, even after the ASB last season where Montreal looked to be the hot team (they were bound to crash), I though Philly had a great chance to take the Wild Card because they had a strong Run Differential. If Gillick can re-energize himself and actually improve that pitching staff while keeping the offense constant, the Phillies could be looking at 95 Wins in 2006. That's no bull. They need to move either Thome (preferable) or Howard (probably get more of a return given his cost). If they get a real arm out of a deal like that, I'll pick them to win the NL East. And I'm very close already to picking them already considering the defection of Leo Mazzone from Atlanta.

Don't give up hope and don't stop being proud of your team. They haven't been to the playoffs recently, but that doesn't mean they're a bunch of losers.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X