X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johncap
    replied
    Originally posted by LP fan
    insult him all you want, he's still the straw that stirs the drink - if the Phils are going to anything, big bobby has to play well
    Phils go nowhere with him on the club. Numbers mean nothing. I guess we're back at the beginning again. Go read the thread.

Leave a comment:

• LP fan
    replied
    Originally posted by philsphan
    I thought the sand man was nickname for closers but i gotta give this to big bob. Maybe he thinks hes in sleeping beuty. I dunno Know
    insult him all you want, he's still the straw that stirs the drink - if the Phils are going to anything, big bobby has to play well

Leave a comment:

• philsphan
    replied
    I thought the sand man was nickname for closers but i gotta give this to big bob. Maybe he thinks hes in sleeping beuty. I dunno Know

Leave a comment:

• johncap
    replied
    Originally posted by sadiemae
    Steve Carlton won one with the Phillies and even he had to laugh.
    We weren't laughing this time. It was an afront to our collective baseball knowledge. The guy is a nickel shy of a butcher in the outfield.

Leave a comment:

• sadiemae
    replied
    Gold glove

Steve Carlton won one with the Phillies and even he had to laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Androctus
    replied
    Shhhhhh. Members of the Academy must not say or do anything that might tarnish his trade value....

Leave a comment:

• johncap
    replied
    Okay, so just when you thought it was safe to go back to the Phillies threads, I'm gonna dredge this one back up.

Let me start out by saying last year I bought exactly two newspapers. Today I bought my second for this year. Who knew the gems I'd find inside.

You may all recall the sordid and acusatory taunts and barbs that went back and forth in this thread regarding both the offensive and defensive prowess, or lack there of, of our Mr. Abreu. And while many of us who actually prefer to evaluate players based on what we see augmented by stats, we're all painfully aware of this hot new trend to reduce everything sports to numbers. Can you spell Sabremetrics (did I spell it right?).

Anyway, you may ask, where the hell are you going with this..... Well on page D5 of today's Philadelphia Inquirer is an innocent little aside about a new book called The Fielding Bible, written by Sabremetrics devotee John Dewann. Apparently, while it's worthless to measure one's capabilities by watching them, it's not so if you review tapes of defensive plays and then disregard minutiae such as errors, chances, put outs and assists. Anyway, where I'm going is I LOVE John Dewann! Because you may recall the reason d'tre of this thread was the incredulity that Abreu had actually won a Gold Glove, and those of us tortured to have to watch him butcher balls in RF KNEW, we KNEW this was a travesty! Well, my new hero, Mr. Dewann (who's probably 19 years old, so I'll call him Master Dewann) is here to prove us old codgers right and all the bookworms who argued with us that the numbers don't lie, wrong.

By this guy's metrics, Abreu was the third WORST RF in baseball last year! That's right, he came in 28th of 31 right fielders in defense based on this guy's numbers.

Of course, while this totally validates this formula for ME, the fact the David Bell is ranked first among 3B defeats it entirely. Hey, I'll take the good with the bad!

Oh yea, and the Phillies were ranked the best defensive team in the majors.

Leave a comment:

• Reds Nd2
    replied
    Originally posted by johncap
    With the state of the Reds, getting Tony Womack is the least of your problems. He's not a bad player used properly. Hell, you could have gotten Bobby Abreu!
    Unfortunantly, that trade was indicative of the very real problems the Reds have. A front office that doesn't have the first clue of judging baseball talent or the lack of, as may be the case.

The truth is, Bobby Darin would have had better success at getting on base than Blow-Mac will.

Leave a comment:

• Reds Nd2
    replied
    Originally posted by baseballPAP
    Just posting here for old times sake.....
    and to complain about the Reds trading for Tony BLEEPING Womack.
    Or, as he's to be refered to from this point forward, Tony Blow-mac.

Leave a comment:

• johncap
    replied
    Originally posted by baseballPAP
    and to complain about the Reds trading for Tony BLEEPING Womack. I hereby offer up Dan O'Brien and the rest of the Reds front office for a batboy to be named later.:grouchy
    With the state of the Reds, getting Tony Womack is the least of your problems. He's not a bad player used properly. Hell, you could have gotten Bobby Abreu!

Leave a comment:

• baseballPAP
    replied
    and to complain about the Reds trading for Tony BLEEPING Womack. I hereby offer up Dan O'Brien and the rest of the Reds front office for a batboy to be named later.:grouchy

Leave a comment:

• ed hardiman
    replied
    Originally posted by johncap
    Hey man, anyone willing to solve out 1B dilemna is in for some serious love. Come here, let me give you some noogies!

Just one question, why do the White Sox have red socks? Do the Red Sox have white socks? Is that like why you drive on the parkway and park on the driveway?
    No matter how good the White Support Hose felt winning the World Series they're still like 1 for 81 not exactly a dynasty...keeping it Phillies real...

Leave a comment:

• johncap
    replied
    Originally posted by runningshoes53
    I think there may actually be a little love going on here, as demented as that may sound.
    Hey man, anyone willing to solve out 1B dilemna is in for some serious love. Come here, let me give you some noogies!

Just one question, why do the White Sox have red socks? Do the Red Sox have white socks? Is that like why you drive on the parkway and park on the driveway?

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    replied
    I think there may actually be a little love going on here, as demented as that may sound.

Leave a comment:

• BoofBonser26
    replied
    Originally posted by donzblock
    Nggaaahhh! Nggaaahhhhh! Nyarlothotep! Cthulhu! Nggaaahhhh! Klark-Ash-Ton! No! No! NO!
    Do I hear a thread in distress?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X