Why Not Hinske?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Not Hinske?

Okay, so a former Rookie of the Year 3B is available for little more than assuming his salary, which is David Bell-like, and the Phillies let him got to the Red Sox. He came from Stand Pat's former team. What am I missing? Does anyone think Eric Hinske would NOT have been a good fit at 3B for this team?

Someone should start a two-column chart of all the players the Phillies sit on their hands and watch get moved....

I Thought Gillick came from SEA? I think *maybe* he was GM when they won in 93? But Hinske won rookie of the year only like 3-4 years ago, which was after Gillick was gone wasn't it? Cause TOR has J.P. Ricciardi up there now..Hinske won't help anyone, no reason to grab him in my opinion.

Comment

It may have bee worth a shot for atleast the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by SportStarMarc
        I Thought Gillick came from SEA? I think *maybe* he was GM when they won in 93? But Hinske won rookie of the year only like 3-4 years ago, which was after Gillick was gone wasn't it? Cause TOR has J.P. Ricciardi up there now..Hinske won't help anyone, no reason to grab him in my opinion.
        "Hinske won't help anyone..." That's your expert opinion?

Yea, I guess you're right. Why go for a guy who was hitting .268 with 12 HRs in 78 games when you've got one hitting .192 with 1 HR in 8 more games? Those BoSox must be pretty stupid...

Comment

Originally posted by johncap
          "Hinske won't help anyone..." That's your expert opinion?

Yea, I guess you're right. Why go for a guy who was hitting .268 with 12 HRs in 78 games when you've got one hitting .192 with 1 HR in 8 more games? Those BoSox must be pretty stupid...
          Agreed....besides, IMO anyone would be better than Nunez at thirdbase. C'mon man SportsStarMac, what are you thinking my friend? Hinske had a pretty nice game in his first game as sock. Two Doubles if I recall correctly.

Comment

Yes, Hinske had a decent game in his first game. Would he be an improvement? absolutely. But unfortunately, the Phillies aren't going to the post season, why pay to get him? And as far as the BoSox, when I mean he isn't helping anyone, he isn't a game changer. He's not an iconic superstar that can singlehandedly change the pace of the game with the swing of a bat. How many games has BOS won since they got him?

Comment

Yes, Hinske had a decent game in his first game. Would he be an improvement? absolutely. But unfortunately, the Phillies aren't going to the post season, why pay to get him? And as far as the BoSox, when I mean he isn't helping anyone, he isn't a game changer. He's not an iconic superstar that can singlehandedly change the pace of the game with the swing of a bat. How many games has BOS won since they got him?
              So, then, name the "iconic superstar" the Phillies will or should acquire to play 3B next year. The point isn't about making the post-season this year. It's simply about needing a third baseman. If the Phils are gonna get Troy Glaus or perhaps bring back Mike Schmidt in his prime, then cool, I'll wait....

Comment

I have to admit, after picking up Jamie Moyer yesterday, it's difficult to tell exactly what mode the Phillies are in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met
                  I have to admit, after picking up Jamie Moyer yesterday, it's difficult to tell exactly what mode the Phillies are in.
                  They're in the same mode they've been in for most of the last 130 years. If it's cheap, do it, otherwise, don't. I think they're surprised (as usual about most things) that they haven't folderd their tents. See, fact is, what aggravated most fans (who know what they're looking at) was the lack or urgency of certain players. Most of the guys getting extra playing time now are driven, guys like Victorino, Coste, etc. are busting it. So, Seattle, Stand Pat's last team, decised to get rid of a 72 year old pitcher from Philly and pay most of his remaining salary. Presto.... Not a lot of mystery here. Why they didn't go for Hinske is perhaps more mysterious, but in the Phillies tradition.

Comment

I'm not sure what Hinske's contract status is but I think he has 1 more year but that part of it is being covered by his old team. Seems like a fit to me.

I think the Phils have more talent than they seem to realize. I'd go with (L to R) Dellucci, Rowand & Victorino the rest of the year and let Burrell (the other 'stand Pat') sit and figure out where he'd like to play next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met
                      I'm not sure what Hinske's contract status is but I think he has 1 more year but that part of it is being covered by his old team. Seems like a fit to me.

I think the Phils have more talent than they seem to realize. I'd go with (L to R) Dellucci, Rowand & Victorino the rest of the year and let Burrell (the other 'stand Pat') sit and figure out where he'd like to play next year.
                      Platooning Burrell except against the Mets, is okay with me the rest of the way. He likes lefties and 'Ets' pitching. OF isn't the problem. 3B is and for the next 6 weeks I guess I'm okay alternating Coste and Lieberthal.
                      To be honest, my year would be made with the Reds winning the Central and the Phils knocking the Cardinals out of a wild card.

Comment

Originally posted by johncap
                        So, then, name the "iconic superstar" the Phillies will or should acquire to play 3B next year. The point isn't about making the post-season this year. It's simply about needing a third baseman. If the Phils are gonna get Troy Glaus or perhaps bring back Mike Schmidt in his prime, then cool, I'll wait....
                        Uhhh....ummmm....hmmmm....iconic thirdbaseman next year for the phillies.....I got it! Abraham Nunez, I'm sure Sportstarmac would be fine with him playing the hot corner....the next Mike Shmidt right Sportstarmac? 48 homeruns next year....he had one homerun today, he's improving.. Give me a break....to say that getting Hinske means nothing to anyone and a guy like him cannot make a difference is ridiculous, say that to Doug Meintkevitz or Orlando Cabrera who are not big name guys who helped the redsox win the series in 2004. Please stay out of the Phillies forum if youre going to say ludacris things sportsstarmac.

Comment

get it right the names marc..youve seen the way ive posted gomes, u know i pretty much take a win-now standpoint when it comes to making moves..an inconic superstar is a-rod, wright, cabrera, maybe glaus, those kind of guys but u dont even need those. you can get a solid 3B whos BETTER than hinske. well who could i possibly mean? well let see a lot of people. koskie, betemit if he can play third, zimmerman, randa, casey blake..not that all or any of them are available but theyre worth waiting for. how about the fall out from HOU? after this year they got Huff and Ensberg both..why not try to strike a deal with them? maybe im an everett hater since im certainly not a fan but why not take the SS henry from the abreu deal ship him to HOU for ensberg/huff?

Comment

get it right the names marc..youve seen the way ive posted gomes, u know i pretty much take a win-now standpoint when it comes to making moves..an inconic superstar is a-rod, wright, cabrera, maybe glaus, those kind of guys but u dont even need those. you can get a solid 3B whos BETTER than hinske. well who could i possibly mean? well let see a lot of people. koskie, betemit if he can play third, zimmerman, randa, casey blake..not that all or any of them are available but theyre worth waiting for. how about the fall out from HOU? after this year they got Huff and Ensberg both..why not try to strike a deal with them? maybe im an everett hater since im certainly not a fan but why not take the SS henry from the abreu deal ship him to HOU for ensberg/huff?
                            Wow, David Wright is already an "iconic superstar"! Well, this could quickly degenreate into a discussion of HOF candidates, but with this kind of value system I wouldn't dare. Please spare me the Betemit and Jor Randa conversation as well. First of all what do you think it would take to obtain Wright or Zimmerman from their respective teams? So, let's have a avlue discussion. Remember Hinske was taken for a PTBNL. Do you think even Betemit would go that cheaply?

Ridiculous conversation..... The Phillies two glaring weaknesses are 3B and catcher. A three-year-removed ROTY at 3B is available for a song and you want to debate whether there is someone better out there for next year? An "iconic superstar" as you call them? And what would the price be is that player even is there for the taking?

Comment

Paying a contract for starters? Making a deal, unloading Hamels or Rollins-heck i'd rather see Sandoval out there myself. And how many games have the Sox won since the Hinske trade? Who struck out on 3 straight pitches with 1 out and the bases loaded for the win? uh yeah before u jump on me, evaluate hinske's progress right now. i DID say he wont help anyone, and as of right now, according tothe Sox record, he HASNT. sure the sox will win some more games and they must really suck if after such a minor deal they would have a losing record (so i expect them to turn over a new leaf) but as of this moment, my comments have held up

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X