Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Phillies serious about making the playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Phillies serious about making the playoffs?

Whats goin on Philly Phanatics

I was wondering if the Phillies are actively seeking a replacement for Rowand, and if Pierre was considered an option. I think a prospect or two for a month+ rental is a good move for you guys, and the Cubs who aren't going anywhere this year.

Share your thoughts
    98 years of futility and counting...

Right now I would say that the our Phils dont need him. They have Victorino and Delluci who can play the outfield while Rowands gone, and hopefully they can hold up until the playoffs when Rowand could be back. I wouldnt trade any close to top prospects for the "newer" Juan Pierre, especially not for a month. Now the old Pierre, yes.

Comment

His OBP isnt stellar (.330 ) by any means, but he did improve to a respectable .287 and you know he will make contact for ya, and steal a load of bags (44, 3rd in Majors) and the man's got 12 triples (tied for 2nd), he can still fly so he's still got some "old" Pierre left in him and definitely gets it done in those aspects of the game.

If Rowand will be back this year ( I didn't know that ) I guess the Phills can get by, just a bit on the risky side. BTW, Im impressed that this is being done without Abreu (I realize the Phils were considered contenders heading into this season).
      98 years of futility and counting...

Comment

Originally posted by CubBlue
        His OBP isnt stellar (.330 ) by any means, but he did improve to a respectable .287 and you know he will make contact for ya, and steal a load of bags (44, 3rd in Majors) and the man's got 12 triples (tied for 2nd), he can still fly so he's still got some "old" Pierre left in him and definitely gets it done in those aspects of the game.

If Rowand will be back this year ( I didn't know that ) I guess the Phills can get by, just a bit on the risky side. BTW, Im impressed that this is being done without Abreu (I realize the Phils were considered contenders heading into this season).
        I'd take Pierre for a stretch drive as things sit right now, in a heartbeat! So long as the price wasn't that high. He's as much of a gamer as Rowand is and he's much more of an offensive weapon. The way Rollins is hitting right now, I'd have no problem plopping Juan into the leadoff spot to start the engine. But I'd prefer to see even someone like Jeff Cirillo come in to play 3B for six weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by CubBlue
          Whats goin on Philly Phanatics

I was wondering if the Phillies are actively seeking a replacement for Rowand, and if Pierre was considered an option. I think a prospect or two for a month+ rental is a good move for you guys, and the Cubs who aren't going anywhere this year.

Share your thoughts
          And sorry, I guess we really don't have experience answering your original question. We're so ued to Ed Wade finding a way to dampen these late season runs by sitting on his hands. Hopefully Stand Pat will make a couple moves more meaningful than Jose Hernandez.

Comment

i'm a red sox fan, but from what i've heard the whole team is playing with more energy than they have all year, and they certainly have the talent to win it.

and victorino, while not excellent, won't be a black hole; i doubt they need to panic too much to find a replacement.

i give them an incredibly slight edge over the reds in the wildcard
            Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

They do seem to have a little 'electricity' going lately. I have a hunch they're just going to pull this thing off. Looking forward to this weekend's games.

Comment

STOP IT ALL OF YOU, YOURE ALL JINXING US.:grouchy

Comment

I think Pierre is better than almost all of the OFers with teh exception of Rowand and maybe Dellucci (ok guys start trashing me now, i know you love to) but it's too much of a logjam out there if you have Dellucci, Burrell, Victorino, Roberson (though he never starts) and then Pierre and then when Rowand gets back..too much.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X