• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Phils: Ya love 'em, ya hate 'em

Morning Bytes | Our Phils: Ya love 'em, ya hate 'em

By Frank Fitzpatrick
    Inquirer Columnist

The 2006 diary of a Phillies fan:

Feb. 1: Spring training starts soon. Can't wait! Guess I'm just a natural optimist. Chase Utley and Ryan Howard really have my juices flowing. Got a feeling this is going to be a memorable summer.

April 3: We reek! Lost to St. Louis, 13-5, in the opener today. I've got zero hopes for these bums. I'm done with 'em. Won't see me at the ballpark until Montgomery and Manuel are gone. Trade Lieber, Abreu, Burrell, and everyone else with an "R" in their last name.

May 14: We are the champions, my friend! Won 13 of 14. I was there all three games with the Mets. Saw Rowand's stupendous catch. I'm telling you, it's destiny. This is the year we do it. What a lineup! And our pitching is way, way better than those media naysayers think. Hinted to my wife that World Series tickets might make a nice anniversary gift.

June 18: Booooo! How bad do we stink? Lost nine of 10. This is a disgrace. I've got absolutely no interest - zero, nada, zilch - anymore. Guys like Abreu and Lidle make me sick. Don't care if Abreu's a 40-40 guy and Lidle wins 20. Get rid of 'em! There's got to be a million other things to do besides wasting my time on this joke of a team.

June 24: Brett Myers got busted this weekend for belting his wife. Can't believe they let him pitch today. Just shows how clueless management is. Personally, I'm boycotting this team until they unload Myers.

July 11: How about that Ryan Howard? Stayed up till midnight watching him win the All-Star Game's home-run derby. Positive things like that can carry over to the rest of the team. I'm expecting a great second-half run.

Aug. 1: I want to puke. We're unloading the whole team and getting nothing in return? Been there, done that. How can you trade two veterans like Abreu and Lidle? Abreu is an on-base machine and a real class act. And Lidle is a solid pro. Who's going to take his place? Gavin Bleepin' Floyd? I'm sick of this same thing year after year. I'm done. At least Eagles camp has started.

Aug. 24: Read my lips - W-I-L-D C-A-R-D. We're rolling now, just like I predicted. Good hitting and fielding, and the pitching's been great. Myers was awesome last night. The guy's got real character. Pitching like that with all those bogus assault charges hanging over his head. Get off his case. A little domestic spat, that's all it was. Counting the days till October.

sounds familiar, except the part for cheering for the Eagles, I'm a seahawks fan hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Gomes
      sounds familiar, except the part for cheering for the Eagles, I'm a seahawks fan hahaha.
      Seahawks? Water pololo? Water ballet? Waht?

Comment

Originally posted by johncap
        Seahawks? Water pololo? Water ballet? Waht?
        Yeah, was an eagles fan when I was younger, then Ricky Watters went to the Seahawks and they became my favorite team, and ever since them I've cheered for them, but I do root for the eagles, when they're not playing the seahawks, but back to baseball...rats the PHils got blown out today..rats.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Gomes
          Yeah, was an eagles fan when I was younger, then Ricky Watters went to the Seahawks and they became my favorite team, and ever since them I've cheered for them, but I do root for the eagles, when they're not playing the seahawks, but back to baseball...rats the PHils got blown out today..rats.
          So, let me get this straight. The guy, who's legacy in Philly is the phrase, "for who, for what?", uttered when asked why he had alligator-armed a pass (and didn't catch it) in a critical game situation, is who dragged you along with him to Seattle?

Yikes!

Comment

That means he should be a Yankee fan now, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met
              That means he should be a Yankee fan now, right?
              Very good! You connected the dots very well!

Comment

'Aligator arms' was the give-away.

Comment

hate the yanks, I dont know why, but Ricky Watters has always been my favorite football player. But hey, that statement sounds like my house all the time, especially when my dad talks about the Phils hahahaha.

Comment

Can't really tell with Charles in charge.
                    In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X