Ryan Howard earns praise from Mike Schmidt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Howard earns praise from Mike Schmidt

Seemed like a nice article. Hope you folks enjoy it.

Mike Schmidt's Phillies club record of 48 homers
    in a season is on the verge of being surpassed
    by sophomore first baseman Ryan Howard. (AP)

Praise from high places for Howard
    Schmidt impressed as first baseman takes aim at club mark

PHILADELPHIA -- As Ryan Howard approaches Mike Schmidt's club record of 48 home runs in a season, Schmidt isn't comparing Howard to himself.

But that doesn't mean he's not mentioning Howard in the same breath as another Hall of Famer.

"He might be the modern-day Willie Stargell," Schmidt said during a Tuesday conference call. "Left-handed hitter with a distinct approach to hitting that I'm sure guys will be imiitating for years. Making that extension with the bat just like [Stargell] used to windmill that bat as the pitcher was winding up. Both can hit the ball in the upper deck. Willie used to hit some of the longest balls in the history of the league and they talked about them, just like they're talking about some of Ryan's home runs."

Not only are they talking about the distance of Howard's homers, which have included balls into the third deck in right at Citizens Bank Park, and over the batter's eye in center, but they're now talking about the absurd frequency.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

This kid is unbelievable!!!!!! i have a signed ball from him from when he was with single a lakewood. the park is like 15 min from my home town. i will go out on a limb and say he is a future hof
    R.I.P Cory Lidel We Miss You

Comment

..and to realize that this is his first full year in the majors!

Meanwhile Chase Utley is also having a monster year. It's a shame the previous regime waited so long to bring these guys up.

Comment

Howard is showing everyone what we knew last year here in Philly, he's the real deal and so is Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, MVP anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Go Gomes
          Howard is showing everyone what we knew last year here in Philly, he's the real deal and so is Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, MVP anyone?
          A-man 2 that!!!!!! he is the only good hitter (save 4 chase utley) in that lineup and he has truly carried that team
          R.I.P Cory Lidel We Miss You

Comment

Ryan Howard, MVP, check out the thread in the current events forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met
              ..and to realize that this is his first full year in the majors!

Meanwhile Chase Utley is also having a monster year. It's a shame the previous regime waited so long to bring these guys up.
              you think so? i'd say there looking pretty smart right now

who knows what they'd be doing if they came up 2-3 years earlier...but i'd say its pretty safe to say they wouldn't be doing any better, and it could've fried em.

it would be cooler if they came up at like 22-23, just so that didn't sap their ability to put up even more gaudy counting stats.
              Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

chase utley should have been the starter on this team two years ago in his first season with the Phils, and a trivia answer for you, he was the last batter ever at the Vet, but, yeah...he should have started at second then, and Howard could of but they had another great guy, Jim Thome anyone?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X