Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, in Ryan Howard fashion, blasting an upper decker becomming the ballclub leader for most home runs in a season. :gt
    Go Phils.

He's amazing, he is a complete stud, MVP! MVP!

Comment

It's a shame he couldn't start playing in the BIG's a few years ago when Thome had first base locked. Great ballplayer, and fun to watch!

Comment

Thats why they should be in the AL, Thome at DH, Howard on First....that would be sweet...hahaha

Comment

And why the hell did the Phillies sign Thome when they had this masher waiting in the wings!??!

And what a shot No. 49 was!! Talk about exclamation point!
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Originally posted by Phillie_Fan
            It's a shame he couldn't start playing in the BIG's a few years ago when Thome had first base locked. Great ballplayer, and fun to watch!
            Well, I'd LOVE to dig up the article written around the time Thome was signed when the Phillies "braintrust" stated publicly that Ryan Howard was NOT a prospect. He was at Lakewood at the time and putting up pretty good numbers and someone asked them about him and why they'd got for Thome and they said he really wasn't a prospect.

I can't wait to hear how they knew all along.... I'll tell you this, if Wade was here, Thome would still be here, and it's likely Howard would be putting these numbers up somewhere very annoying.

Comment

Well I can somewhat understand the 'politics' behind the Thome signing. They were trying to sell tickets to the new joint at basically double the rate that people were paying at the Vet. Howard was in the low minors at the time and you don't really have a clue about some of these guys until they're in AA.

Utley is a different story though. Are you telling me Polanco & Bell were holding him down?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met
                Well I can somewhat understand the 'politics' behind the Thome signing. They were trying to sell tickets to the new joint at basically double the rate that people were paying at the Vet. Howard was in the low minors at the time and you don't really have a clue about some of these guys until they're in AA.

Utley is a different story though. Are you telling me Polanco & Bell were holding him down?
                There are MANY negative things VERY consistent with the Phillies over their LONG, HORRIBLE existence. One of the WORST is this insistence on playing guys just because they're getting paid. They flat out refuse to sit or eat salaries of their mistakes and it has crippled numerous teams over the years. Of ALL the stubborn stupidities of this organization, of all the cultural shortcomings, THIS one is the worst and the one that HAS to change for them to ever be effective at the business they're in. Sometimes you have to just eat your young and move on. The blocking of Utley coming up and actually playing sooner than he did is case in point.

Comment

Another thing, is you really don't know what guys will do in the Majors

see: Mike Piazza

You can't scout adaptation

Then you have guys they rush like Oliver Perez who probably will be gone from the majors in 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by Imapotato
                    Another thing, is you really don't know what guys will do in the Majors

see: Mike Piazza

You can't scout adaptation

Then you have guys they rush like Oliver Perez who probably will be gone from the majors in 2 years
                    Well, there are teams that do seem to be able to find the right people consistently. It's not luck.

Let's see, the Marlins win two WS, by my calculations, that's 100% more than the Phillies, in what, 20 years of existence? And imediately after each, they completely gut the club, only to come RIGHT back with competitive and then championship teams. Take a look at the team they have now with a $15M payroll. Are they just lucky? I think not. But it DOES always seem like the Phillies are lucky when they do get something right. Not that it occurs that often.

Comment

What's the Phillies record for longest hitting streak? Congrats Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met
                        It stems back to last year even when the Phils decided to keep Polanco and Utley platooning at second base. Polanco could have been moved over to third base and Bell, even though I love the guy, been put on the bench/traded. Other that you just have to look at who was running the team to tell what happend there. Thanks for nothin ED.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Gomes
                          It stems back to last year even when the Phils decided to keep Polanco and Utley platooning at second base. Polanco could have been moved over to third base and Bell, even though I love the guy, been put on the bench/traded. Other that you just have to look at who was running the team to tell what happend there. Thanks for nothin ED.
                          Yes, the Phillies wouldn't play Utley so long as Polanco was still here, and Wade aded icing to all his other stupid moves by trading Polanco instead of Bell. Polanco's bat would look very nice in the lineup right now playing 3B.

Comment

Originally posted by overhandgas53
                            What's the Phillies record for longest hitting streak? Congrats Howard

just recent to the game? ever hear of Jimmy Rollins??

Great Ball Teams: Tigers '68, Phils '80, Tigers '84

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X