Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schilling dealt back to hometown Phillies

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Schilling dealt back to hometown Phillies

    Well, so I fibbed.

    The real headline was

    Wells dealt back to hometown Padres

    ...but I was wondering the other day if now that the BoSox are all in intensive care if maybe they'd look to shed some payroll and maybe, just maybe, Curt would want to come back for a stretch run...

    Just a thought...

  • #2
    Originally posted by johncap
    Well, so I fibbed.

    The real headline was

    Wells dealt back to hometown Padres

    ...but I was wondering the other day if now that the BoSox are all in intensive care if maybe they'd look to shed some payroll and maybe, just maybe, Curt would want to come back for a stretch run...

    Just a thought...
    More like a dream....Curt is signed through next year, and said he wants to retire a Red Sox...with all the problems theyve had at SP, they would never trade their only reliable starter.

    Comment


    • #3
      Do Phillie fans actually care about Shilling?
      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TonyStarks
        Do Phillie fans actually care about Shilling?
        Phillies fans LOVE Schilling. Always did. He says what's on his mind and, pardon the cliché, doesn't leave anything on the field.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by johncap
          Phillies fans LOVE Schilling. Always did. He says what's on his mind and, pardon the cliché, doesn't leave anything on the field.
          How many other Phillies players are like this?
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mattingly
            How many other Phillies players are like this?
            Like what? Fan favorites?

            Now or historically?

            Rollins, Utley, Howard, Rowand, Gordon, Madson, Victorino... All of these are well-liked here now. They say the right things. They play hard. Abreu was a dog and pretty much everyone here agrees it was time for him to move on.

            Historically, players who played hard and didn't make asses out of themselves, or make stupid comments or blame the fans for their failings, which, by the way, was pretty common with the Wade regime.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by johncap
              Like what? Fan favorites?

              Now or historically?

              Rollins, Utley, Howard, Rowand, Gordon, Madson, Victorino... All of these are well-liked here now. They say the right things. They play hard. Abreu was a dog and pretty much everyone here agrees it was time for him to move on.

              Historically, players who played hard and didn't make asses out of themselves, or make stupid comments or blame the fans for their failings, which, by the way, was pretty common with the Wade regime.
              Well, Schilling was one of the most outspoken players to ever put on a Philly uniform... he didnt always say the right thing, and sometimes made an a** of himself. I dont get why he was so loved... I mean I like him, but i wouldnt think Philly would. Even Wade said "shilling is a horse every 5th day, and a horse's a** the other 4". He was also named the most hated man in baseball not too long ago i believe.

              So my question is why did philly fans love him so much?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by EvanAparra
                Well, Schilling was one of the most outspoken players to ever put on a Philly uniform... he didnt always say the right thing, and sometimes made an a** of himself. I dont get why he was so loved... I mean I like him, but i wouldnt think Philly would. Even Wade said "shilling is a horse every 5th day, and a horse's a** the other 4". He was also named the most hated man in baseball not too long ago i believe.

                So my question is why did philly fans love him so much?
                Yes, even Ed Wade said what he said. So why don't you get that the fans appreciated a guy willing to say what he thought. Yes, sometimes he didn't think about the consequences. Wade's reaction was because what Svhilling was saying was thet the team ewasnb't committed to winning. And obviously Wade took offense. The fans agreed with Schilling on this and many other points. We don't ask to always agree; just to stick to your beliefs and stand up; with regard to off the field issues.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johncap
                  Like what? Fan favorites?

                  Now or historically?

                  Rollins, Utley, Howard, Rowand, Gordon, Madson, Victorino... All of these are well-liked here now. They say the right things. They play hard. Abreu was a dog and pretty much everyone here agrees it was time for him to move on.

                  Historically, players who played hard and didn't make asses out of themselves, or make stupid comments or blame the fans for their failings, which, by the way, was pretty common with the Wade regime.
                  I'd meant made the unfiltered comments, a la Schilling on whichever topic chose his fancy at the moment.

                  As to players, what? No love for Mike Schmidt?

                  I'd meant to ask you about Abreu. He's been a fan favorite here in the Bronx. What was there about his playing style and/or personality that didn't suit you Phillie Phans? For us, it's his patience at the plate and slugging. I understand (from skimming some thread about him here in the past) that he didn't like getting his uniform dirty and disdained running into the wall.

                  So the players who blamed the fan were frequent? Pardon my ignorance, but who's Wade? I was thinking it was a manager, but other than Boggs, I can't think of anyone else. Sorry about that. :o
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    why must you play with my emotions?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mattingly
                      Pardon my ignorance, but who's Wade? I was thinking it was a manager, but other than Boggs, I can't think of anyone else. Sorry about that. :o
                      Ed Wade was the Philly GM from 98-05

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Go Gomes
                        why must you play with my emotions?
                        Myself or johncap? I wasn't playing with your emotions.
                        Originally posted by EvanAparra
                        Ed Wade was the Philly GM from 98-05
                        Thanks. Sorry for not knowing.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mattingly
                          I'd meant made the unfiltered comments, a la Schilling on whichever topic chose his fancy at the moment.

                          As to players, what? No love for Mike Schmidt?

                          I'd meant to ask you about Abreu. He's been a fan favorite here in the Bronx. What was there about his playing style and/or personality that didn't suit you Phillie Phans? For us, it's his patience at the plate and slugging. I understand (from skimming some thread about him here in the past) that he didn't like getting his uniform dirty and disdained running into the wall.

                          So the players who blamed the fan were frequent? Pardon my ignorance, but who's Wade? I was thinking it was a manager, but other than Boggs, I can't think of anyone else. Sorry about that. :o
                          First off, so you have your other facts straight, Mike Schmidt made his own bed uncomfortable here by starting a running feud with the fans. It was all patched over by the now famous wig event, which, for the first time, showed Schmidt to have a beating heart and sense of humor. Since, he's been revered out of respect for his baseball accomplishemtns, but it's never been the kind of warm relationship like it's been with Bowa, Clarke, and a lot of other stars over the years. He's just not a warm guy.

                          I'm sure Abreu is a darling there. He was here for five years until we got quite tired of his reluctance to get dirty, go anywhere near the wall, get picked off base in critical situations, and made it quite obvious his stats were more imprtant than winning. I'm confident it won't take him five years to wear out his NY welcome. Let's see what you think of him when he's hitting .289 and doing some of those things mentioned above. On the plus side, he'll probably help take a lot of the zing off of ARod.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by johncap
                            First off, so you have your other facts straight, Mike Schmidt made his own bed uncomfortable here by starting a running feud with the fans. It was all patched over by the now famous wig event, which, for the first time, showed Schmidt to have a beating heart and sense of humor. Since, he's been revered out of respect for his baseball accomplishemtns, but it's never been the kind of warm relationship like it's been with Bowa, Clarke, and a lot of other stars over the years. He's just not a warm guy.

                            I'm sure Abreu is a darling there. He was here for five years until we got quite tired of his reluctance to get dirty, go anywhere near the wall, get picked off base in critical situations, and made it quite obvious his stats were more imprtant than winning. I'm confident it won't take him five years to wear out his NY welcome. Let's see what you think of him when he's hitting .289 and doing some of those things mentioned above. On the plus side, he'll probably help take a lot of the zing off of ARod.
                            What was Schmidt's feud with the fans? Did he say something like the city and/or owners didn't want to win? Was attendance not there? He not receive enough applause or something? I'm trying to grasp what made for the feud. If any particular writer (Philly Inquirer, etc) got on his case, please do share.

                            For Abreu in NY, his popularity is that he is a bona fide (at least to me, anyway) #3 hitter, so Giambi and Rodriguez can get pushed back in the lineup. A-Rod for some reason, unlike his Texas years, isn't a #3 hitter, so he seems more productive batting 5th. Also, seeing lots of pitches, which he'd done in Philly seem to help. The guys batting behind him see those same pitches also.

                            I think that his contract only lasts until 2008, so I can't say whether he'll be here in 5 years. After all the mess we'd dealt with for Giambi, sometime I wonder if we can really get upset.

                            Looking at Abreu and perhaps looking at Scott Rolen, was it that they were not playing for a playoff team that bothered them? I'm not pretending that pinstripes make anyone play better (I'd never say that in here), but could it be playing for a contender may have changed him around? Just suggesting, since people say fine things about Rolen's offense and defense.
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mattingly
                              What was Schmidt's feud with the fans? Did he say something like the city and/or owners didn't want to win? Was attendance not there? He not receive enough applause or something? I'm trying to grasp what made for the feud. If any particular writer (Philly Inquirer, etc) got on his case, please do share.

                              For Abreu in NY, his popularity is that he is a bona fide (at least to me, anyway) #3 hitter, so Giambi and Rodriguez can get pushed back in the lineup. A-Rod for some reason, unlike his Texas years, isn't a #3 hitter, so he seems more productive batting 5th. Also, seeing lots of pitches, which he'd done in Philly seem to help. The guys batting behind him see those same pitches also.

                              I think that his contract only lasts until 2008, so I can't say whether he'll be here in 5 years. After all the mess we'd dealt with for Giambi, sometime I wonder if we can really get upset.

                              Looking at Abreu and perhaps looking at Scott Rolen, was it that they were not playing for a playoff team that bothered them? I'm not pretending that pinstripes make anyone play better (I'd never say that in here), but could it be playing for a contender may have changed him around? Just suggesting, since people say fine things about Rolen's offense and defense.
                              Rolen and Abreu are totally different issues. Rolen couldn't take the heat of a big city. He's much better off in the midwest. He'd get eatne alive in NY. Abreu, on the other hand, is just a dog. Yes, he's a three, on that point you're absolutely correct. You'll see... Hey, no one up there believed us when the Jets hired Kotite. 3-29 or something later, they did.

                              Schmidt is a long and complicated story that spans 20+ years and gets into personalities. He too was a midwesterner and very sensitive. He had a very thin skin and hardly ever smiled or said anything to lead the fans to think he ever cared. He learned later on that what Philly fans want is effort. Schmidt made it look so easy most ofthe time that we thought he wasn't trying. And he never got that. And a lot of fans here never got him. Sort of like ARod in NY I suspect.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X