Can Howard catch Maris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Howard catch Maris?

Wow....another 2....he's only 5 away from 61 with about 19 games to go...should be close...I'm thinking he's gonna do it...this is as exciting as Rollins hit streak at the end of last year

Great Ball Teams: Tigers '68, Phils '80, Tigers '84

I guess there might be some fans on this forum who would appreciate the fact that Ryan Howard has tied Hack Wilson with 56 home runs in a season.

Until after the 1994 debacle, Wilson led all National Leaguers with 56 home runs. It was almost always mentioned in the same breath as Ruth's 60 and then Roger's 61.

I have not yet seen ONE reference to the fact that Howard, in only his second season, has accomplished what Willie, Hank Aaron, Ralph Kiner, and Johnny Mize could not.

It is a disservice to Howard because he has accomplished one of the great feats in National League history and it isn't even being recognized by most.
    Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

--Since both 56 and 61 have been ecilpsed multiple times I can't see why there should be any fanfare associated with reaching those marks. Great season sure, but no records are going to be reached here.

Comment

It'll be awhile before we know how history is going to look at the feats of Mssrs. Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, et. al.

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
          --Since both 56 and 61 have been ecilpsed multiple times I can't see why there should be any fanfare associated with reaching those marks. Great season sure, but no records are going to be reached here.
          Because it will be the first time the record is broken by someone who didn't look like a 'cartoon character' ....seen any pictures of McGwire lately?..
          doesn't even look like the same guy....and, if you can get hold of the card, check out Bonds rookie card with the pirates.....

Comment

Yes!

Comment

For one thing, I sincerely doubt, to the extreme, that Ryan Howard is on steroids (unlike a certain other young player on another NL team in the Central Division...). And second, I do think he can catch Maris. If he does, he'll be the first non-steroider to do so, and kudos to him for it. IMO, he'll get the NL MVP for sure if he does. Even if he doesn't, I'm pretty sure he'll get it.
              "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
              -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Does that guy even need steroids - I don't think you can be any bigger...This feat is ultra impressive since it's the guys SECOND SEASON!
                ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
                ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by LP fan
                  Because it will be the first time the record is broken by someone who didn't look like a 'cartoon character' ....seen any pictures of McGwire lately?..
                  doesn't even look like the same guy....and, if you can get hold of the card, check out Bonds rookie card with the pirates.....

Really? Well Roger Clemens doesnt look like the same guy anymore, is he on roids??

well...he probably was anyway...nevermind

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                    Really? Well Roger Clemens doesnt look like the same guy anymore, is he on roids??

well...he probably was anyway...nevermind

good question....what do you think?....it wouldn't surprise me if he was on something

Comment

Originally posted by LP fan
                      good question....what do you think?....it wouldn't surprise me if he was on something
                      I think he was.... But you get threatened here if you suggest anything bad about Jeter or Clemens.. Anyway, i gotta get out of Go Gomes' forum, lol.

Comment

Try posting something negative about Bonds in the Giants forum.

Those threads disappear without a trace.
                        2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
                          Try posting something negative about Bonds in the Giants forum.

Those threads disappear without a trace.
                          Yeah, but Clemens doesnt even play for the Phillies! Its just ridiculous.

Comment

Granted, 61 is a LOT of home runs, but it's not nearly as significant as it once was before the days of tightly-wrapped balls, bandboxes called stadiums, regular weight-lifting regimens, diluted pitching talent due to far too many teams and, of course, performance-enhancing drugs. Maris hasn't been the standard bearer, and 61 hasn't been the benchmark, for almost a decade now. In fact, it only ranks 7th all-time.

Asking if Howard can catch Maris is a little like asking if Johan Santana can catch Rube Waddell, who at one time held the ML record with 349 Ks, but is now well down on the list. That may sound like a silly comparison, but in reality, it isn't at all. 61 home runs in this day and age is eye-popping, but certainly nowhere near a ML record. Now, if Ryan Howard played in the AL, he would have a chance to break a record (Maris), but he isn't, so the point is almost moot if he catches Maris, because he'd still have Sosa, McGwire and Bonds to catch.

That's pretty much the way I look at it, anyway.
                            Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

So, ANYWAY, i really hope Howard gets to 60. His shots have been amazing, he doesnt get many cheap ones.

Also, Howard is having a better season than Maris had in '61, although i dont know how it compares through the times.

Heres hoping Howards career turns out better than Maris'.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X