No announcement yet.

Can Howard catch Maris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now only imagine what he could do with another bat hitting behind him. Utley, Howard, (Insert Right handed slugger here), that would be nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgerfan1
      Granted, 61 is a LOT of home runs, but it's not nearly as significant as it once was before the days of tightly-wrapped balls, bandboxes called stadiums, regular weight-lifting regimens, diluted pitching talent due to far too many teams and, of course, performance-enhancing drugs. Maris hasn't been the standard bearer, and 61 hasn't been the benchmark, for almost a decade now. In fact, it only ranks 7th all-time.

Asking if Howard can catch Maris is a little like asking if Johan Santana can catch Rube Waddell, who at one time held the ML record with 349 Ks, but is now well down on the list. That may sound like a silly comparison, but in reality, it isn't at all. 61 home runs in this day and age is eye-popping, but certainly nowhere near a ML record. Now, if Ryan Howard played in the AL, he would have a chance to break a record (Maris), but he isn't, so the point is almost moot if he catches Maris, because he'd still have Sosa, McGwire and Bonds to catch.

That's pretty much the way I look at it, anyway.

But these gentlemen are tainted...thats the whole point.. Maris still stands in my books...

Great Ball Teams: Tigers '68, Phils '80, Tigers '84

Comment

58...the most in Philly history. In the words of Harry Khalis "move over mr. double x"

Comment

Everyone knows he is putting up great numbers, but he has not had a major injury yet, and he isnt the only one carrying this team.

I think that in his second season it is to early to tell. He is a great player though.
          “A lot of people said I could be a good player. I just wanted the opportunity to show it. I just let it happen.”

Albert Pujols

2006 Champions of the World

Life Untill Corked
          http://z6.invisionfree.com/Life_Untill_Corked/

Image Hosted by Free image hosting

Comment

What does an injury have to do with how great he is, he's amazing simple as that. Everyone last year thought this guy wouldnt come back and do what he did last year, and guess what, he's put up even better numbers this year. A great player for years to come. And right now, yes he is the one carrying the Phillies.

Comment

He nows has 58 , 3 away from Marris , Go Bat Go .
              I personally think he will join the .300/600/.420 Club .
              Last edited by TheKingofKings; 09-24-2006, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKingofKings
                He nows has 58 , 3 away from Marris , Go Bat Go .
                I personally think he will join the .300/700/.420 Club .
                Huh?? Whats the .420? OBP? Every group of stats is a club now. And the 700? HR? The chances of that are pretty darn low. Especially since almost 28. He would only have to average about 50 HRs a year for the next 12 years.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                  Huh?? Whats the .420? OBP? Every group of stats is a club now. And the 700? HR? The chances of that are pretty darn low. Especially since almost 28. He would only have to average about 50 HRs a year for the next 12 years.
                  Almost 27 , it's possible if he remains consistent , focused and healthy .
                  .300(AVG)/600(HR)/.420(SLUG%)

Comment

haha, well a .420 slugging percentage isnt going to be hard... Johnny Damon has a .431 SLG right now.

Anything i possible, but likely is a whole different story.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                      But you get threatened here if you suggest anything bad about Jeter or Clemens.
                      No...just accused of being beaten with a stupid stick.
                      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Praise the almighty derek and roger!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X