No announcement yet.

Best Phillies manager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becoming us in the aspect of being mistreated by ownership, or not being winners since whenever, or being a constant tease?

Comment

Originally posted by Go Gomes
      Becoming us in the aspect of being mistreated by ownership, or not being winners since whenever, or being a constant tease?
      Well, my sense is you're a lot younger than me. I grew up never once even considering that the Phillies might actually contend.When I was six they set the still-reigning record for futility losing 23 in a row. When I was nine they did '64 to me. The next few years were spent cursing Mauch and watching Richie, ooops, Dick Allen work his way out of town. Until '74 .500 was a dream I dared not go beyond.Since '94 it's been much the same. A few years of close but no cigar with teams that really were not contenders isn't teasing me. The Flyers, now they're a tease. The Eagles, they're a tease.

Comment

Yeah, I'm only around 19 years old, but I can remember back in 94' and those years with Francona etc. I never expected the Phillies to win those years, then there was the first year I beleive it was that Francona was done and Bowa was in and they improved. The the next year they landed Jim Thome, and they were so close to getting there, and ever since then it's been the same thing year in and year out. I'll admit that going into every season now I think hey, we could make the wildcard, but always expecting them to get so close but the blow it which has happened what, the last three years?

Comment

Yeah, I'm only around 19 years old, but I can remember back in 94' and those years with Francona etc. I never expected the Phillies to win those years, then there was the first year I beleive it was that Francona was done and Bowa was in and they improved. The the next year they landed Jim Thome, and they were so close to getting there, and ever since then it's been the same thing year in and year out. I'll admit that going into every season now I think hey, we could make the wildcard, but always expecting them to get so close but the blow it which has happened what, the last three years?
          Okay, Gomesy, since you're so young, here's the same advice I gave my son about being a Philadelphia sports fan.

Read my tagline. It's about character. Same as being a Cubs or Red Sox fan. Being a sports fan is NOT about picking your team every year based on who's doing well or the color of their unis or a great player you like. That is for cockroach Cowboys' fans. The REAL joy of being a sports fan comes from years and years of following and living and dying with your team and truly appreciating it when they finally do win.

My father's nicknames were Gene Mauch and Conie Mack. He managed baseball and men's softball for 40 years. Originally, as most Philadelphia baseball fans were, he was an A's fan. But whan the A's left he switched over to the Phillies. So having been born in 1913 he didn't get to enjoy a baseball championship in Philly after the age of 16 and considering his fater thad did when he was five, I'm sure he wasn't exactly into the late 20's A's. He died 10/6/80. Look up the significance of that date in Phillies' history.

The day before, he told me if the Astros beat the Dodgers (in their one game division title playoff) the Phillies would win the WS. I had season tickets back then and offered to take him to the first home playoff game. He declined and the next night during that playoff game, he drove himself to the hospital and died.

Having endured so many years of awful Phillies teams and events, as with all Phillies fans over most of the last 130 years, their winning that year was particularly emotional for me. Not being a big pro basketball fan, that was the last championship I've experienced, now 26 years ago.

As my tagline says, it builds character.

They didn't tease you this year. They gave you a glimpse of what a team of hungry kids can do that a team of fat dogs couldn't. They affirmed that the fans knew a hell of a lot more than idiot Wade when it came to making decisions for this team. And had Leyland been hired like we collectively wanted, I have NO doubt, the Phillies would still be playing ball this year, and the suggestion that Pat Burrell is a better choice to hit behind Ryan Howard than Hank Blaylock wouldn't have even come up cause Pat the Splat would have been long gone under Jim Leyland.

Comment

I wouldnt say I'm so young but hey, hahaha I'm fine with that. I'm not a new Phillies fan by any means at all, not saying you said I was. I've been a Phillies fan my whole life, havent rooted for another team at all. But I think now a days the perogative has really changed from the past, now it;s people expecting a winner each and every year and being disappointed year in and year out. I appreciate the Phillies, I really do, as much as I bash them here and outside of here, but who doesnt. I've never picked a team to love becuase they've done well or anything like that, well except back when i was about seven years old and was a Cowboys fan, just because all of my friends were. But I use the Seahawks as an example. When I joined their family they were horrific, Jon Kitna was smelling it up as thier starting quareterback, fumbling the ball more than he threw touchdown. I loved them becuase Ricky Watters was my favorite player, dont ask me why, I just loved that guy. But anyway back to the Phillies. My heart will always be with the Phillies, that's why I hate when people on here think I just stat things about the Phillies for the hell of it and assume I'm just a Devil Rays fan, thats not the case what so ever, Jonny is my favorite player, but the Phillies have always been my favorite and always will. And to be honest, when the Phillies do win the world series for the first time since 1980 I may cry with tears of joy, no lie what so ever. But yeah, I'll agree, you do have to have character to be a Phillies fans. This post was not to disagree with you at all either, I was just elaborating of sorts on your comments applying them to myself. To be honest, you and Imapotato are two of the only guys on this site I do respect and most of the time fully agree with. You guys value the same things I do in baseball, how a player plays not by Warp and all that junk. In a way could you call my thinking old school?

I just use the term tease because every year its the same thing in and out, but hey, it was nice to see a team come around this season after all the "experts" called the Phils dead in the water after Abreu was traded. And I'll blame Wade aswell, have for the last what two years he was in Philly. I even tried to convince a bunch of my friends to come with me and sit outside the stadium with big signs reading "fire Wade" and stuff of that nature. Although it never materialized and wouldnt have done anything it would have been a nice gesture to pay our friend Eddie boy a nice visit.
            Last edited by W_Marone; 10-10-2006, 05:59 PM.

Comment

...I loved them becuase Ricky Watters was my favorite player, dont ask me why, I just loved that guy...
              "For Who? For What?"

Comment

Hahaha, saw that one coming. But hey, at least he's not O.D.....I mean... T.O.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X