Pat Burrell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Burrell

I know you guys hate him, but I just want to know why. I understand that he strikes out a lot and his injured foot has made him a liability in the field, but the guy had a .388 OBP, 29 HR, 95 RBI last season. I'm sure most of you would agree that at this point, he would make a good DH, so a trade to the AL is the best case scenario, but how willing are the Phillies to eat a lot of his contract? I can see the A's being potentially interested in him just in case they don't re-sign Frank Thomas.
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Oh no... here we go again...

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
      Oh no... here we go again...
      As I said, I know some of the reasons why people hate him, but based on his stats, I don't understand.
      ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

I already know what they're going to tell you. "The stats lie. He never had hits in meaningful parts of the game. He sucks, and you don't know anything because you didn't watch the Phils games this year."

Comment

Ha, fair enough...does anyone know what his BA w/RISP?
          ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

Its pretty pathetic, so they do have a point. Let me look it up..

Comment

.222 with RISP
              .167 with RISP w/2 out

Comment

I get to see a fair amount of Phil's games. The best way to express it to a Met fan is that he plays with the same apathetic vigor that Kevin McReynolds did.

Comment

.222 with RISP
                  .167 with RISP w/2 out
                  Fair enough...thanks for the info...I guess some stats are deceiving
                  ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met
                    I get to see a fair amount of Phil's games. The best way to express it to a Met fan is that he plays with the same apathetic vigor that Kevin McReynolds did.
                    Oh boy...
                    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

check around in the Phillies forum, I think you'll find out why we have a beef with him.

Comment

I already know what they're going to tell you. "The stats lie. He never had hits in meaningful parts of the game. He sucks, and you don't know anything because you didn't watch the Phils games this year."
                        Thanx for making us not have to. What percentage of his strikeouts were looking? I don't know what the number is, but I'll tell you if it's not in the 70% range then the numbers DO lie? Fact is if he were a speed demon, his OBP might mean something. His docile approach to hitting over the last couple of years has left him looking like a spayed cat at the plate. The numbers ARE meaningless. His job is to knock in runs and to protect Howard. He was incapable of either, regardless of the number of raw RBIs, many of which were in garbage time in meaningless situations. Even management has acknowledged he can't do the job right on the official website, and is shopping him.

I hope someone out there wants him. We know the team will have to pay a considerable chunk of his ~$13M EACH of the next two years. Still think his numbers mean much at that price? This is the Phillies problem. Well, one of them. They'll pay Burrell $13M and Wolf $9M but they won't pay a Ramirez $15M or a top of the order starter $12.5M. I drives me nuts!

And now we'll be lucky to get one of the wrong Rodriguezs for him and take a hit for probqably $18M over the next two years...

God Bless Ed Wade!

Comment

I'm gonna be honest Evan, this season, Pat Burrell's stats were mostly meaningless. The only time he actually won the game for the Phillies was his grandslam agaisnt the astros. Other than that, he doesnt hit when needed to, as evident by his BA with RISP, and he truely hurts the team in the field. His arm also seems to have lost some zip to it, can that be contributed to his injury? Perhaps, but he still is more of a liabililty to the team, especially down the stretch. His contract, as JohnCap also mentioned.

Some of Pat's stats:

AVG W/RSP: .222
                          AVG W/ RSP & 2 OUTS: .167
                          AVG W/ Runners on two outs: .225
                          AVG when Close and Late: .217

Yeah, with runners on he's pretty terrible, and when it's close and late, althought I'm not sure of the guidlines for it being close and late is only .217 aswell. And when Pat Burrell pinch hit, he got all of 0 hits, althought that may not mean anything in the realm of stats.

Just Figured I'd put them up, take them as you may.
                          Last edited by W_Marone; 10-25-2006, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Gomes
                            I'm gonna be honest Evan, this season, Pat Burrell's stats were mostly meaningless. The only time he actually won the game for the Phillies was his grandslam agaisnt the astros. Other than that, he doesnt hit when needed to, as evident by his BA with RISP, and he truely hurts the team in the field. His arm also seems to have lost some zip to it, can that be contributed to his injury? Perhaps, but he still is more of a liabililty to the team, especially down the stretch. His contract, as JohnCap also mentioned.

Some of Pat's stats:

AVG W/RSP: .222
                            AVG W/ RSP & 2 OUTS: .167
                            AVG W/ Runners on two outs: .225
                            AVG when Close and Late: .217

Yeah, with runners on he's pretty terrible, and when it's close and late, althought I'm not sure of the guidlines for it being close and late is only .217 aswell. And when Pat Burrell pinch hit, he got all of 0 hits, althought that may not mean anything in the realm of stats.

Just Figured I'd put them up, take them as you may.
                            He's got tremendous physical tools, but he's just becaome a total head case. Just look at this swing. It's a mess. And then look at the pitches he swings at and the pitches he takes. Again, a total mess.

Comment

The patented Pat Burrel "Swing at a pitch without showing much effort, striking out" or the "watch strike three go right over the plate" Pat the bat.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X