No announcement yet.

Pat Burrell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he, imo, is 2nd to a-rod as the most overly-criticized player in baseball.

he says he isn't willing to waive his no trade clause, and i have no clue why. he's a legitimately good player who will never ever get the credit he deserves playing in philly.

given the PR mess he's become and all that, and mainlt his contract, i think the phils should defintely fight hard to trade him, but he's not the useless player he's made out to be at all.

like i said though, there are definitely better ways to spend the 12 mil a year or w/e he's getting though.

(and i'll be honest, i didn't watch games like i'm sure most of the phils fans on these forums did, but i did follow them more than anyone else in august and september, and usually watched about 1-3 games of theirs a week)
    Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by PhilWings24

he says he isn't willing to waive his no trade clause, and i have no clue why. he's a legitimately good player who will never ever get the credit he deserves playing in philly.

given the PR mess he's become and all that, and mainlt his contract, i think the phils should defintely fight hard to trade him, but he's not the useless player he's made out to be at all.

like i said though, there are definitely better ways to spend the 12 mil a year or w/e he's getting though.

(and i'll be honest, i didn't watch games like i'm sure most of the phils fans on these forums did, but i did follow them more than anyone else in august and september, and usually watched about 1-3 games of theirs a week)
      First off, he claims he was never asked to waive his no trade and denies the deal with the Orioles ever happened. I've nenver actually seen or heard anything to the effect that he wouldn't waive it. I have heard that he is enamored with the nightlife in Philly, which compared to Miami, LA, NY and a number of other places is right up there in mindboggle with how he looks at the plate most of the time.

I was a big Burrell fan his first few years but he's gone with the wind now. He has little to no value on a team where he is counted on for more than being a bit player. He wilts under the spotlight.

Comment

Here's a compromise. I'll stop criticizing Burrell when he ends up on another team. And I'll take full responsibility for trading him away if he does well on another team.

But to call him a legitimately good ballplayer ignores the fact that he is awful. How do you call an awful ballplayer legitimately good? When he was a good ballplayer, he had to be illegitimately good.

And he has been getting the credit he deserves in Philadelphia. In fact, he received so much credit during his first truly horrendous year as a Phillie three years ago that he owes the Phillie fans more than he can ever repay.

He remains another Wade monument in the mausoleum built by the GM that Montgomery would not fire. And given Pat's contract, Montgomery will probably scotch any deal that results in Burrell leaving town while the Phillies must pay him. Since the Phillies will never get rid of him while his contract is in effect, what they should do is put him to work selling beer at the ballpark. Anything that keeps him off the field would benefit this team.

Comment

Problem is that us Phillies fans got to watch Pat Burrell produce meaningless RBI and Homeruns and all that, other who perhaps watched only five to ten Phillies game just dont understand that most of his stats are simply meaningless, except for that slam against the astro's. But hey, he really did look terrible toward the end of the season, especially the last two weeks I think it was.

Feel free to take Pat Burrell off our hands gentleman, I think a couple Bats and baseballs will be a fair deal. But really I digress, anyone who obtains Pat in the future, whether from the Phillies or as an eventual free agent pickup, I'm sure a Pat Burrell hate thread will soon appear shortly after.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Thinslow
            Here's a compromise. I'll stop criticizing Burrell when he ends up on another team. And I'll take full responsibility for trading him away if he does well on another team.

But to call him a legitimately good ballplayer ignores the fact that he is awful. How do you call an awful ballplayer legitimately good? When he was a good ballplayer, he had to be illegitimately good.

And he has been getting the credit he deserves in Philadelphia. In fact, he received so much credit during his first truly horrendous year as a Phillie three years ago that he owes the Phillie fans more than he can ever repay.

He remains another Wade monument in the mausoleum built by the GM that Montgomery would not fire. And given Pat's contract, Montgomery will probably scotch any deal that results in Burrell leaving town while the Phillies must pay him. Since the Phillies will never get rid of him while his contract is in effect, what they should do is put him to work selling beer at the ballpark. Anything that keeps him off the field would benefit this team.
            It's standard fare on this site for these stat-crazed guys to base the value of a player strictly on the numbers. It's sad. It'd be like me putting in my two cents on A-Rod when I see him maybe 5 times a year. He puts up numbers too. I wonder why Yankee fans can't stand him. Hmmmm, what could it be.

Comment

They were just discussing the possibility of trading Burrell on WIP and supposedly a DBacks' scout said they "have no interest" in Burrell because "the guy gets 40 good swings a year".

They mustn't have seen his stats...

Comment

As Go Gomes and Philwings know, some on the Red Sox board are discussing the possibility of acquiring Burrell as a positive. While this makes me cringe terribly, I am interested in one thing. I've seen a few posts indicating that Pat has turned into a major "head case." What's meant by that? Just that he freaks with RISP? Or something more?
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                  As Go Gomes and Philwings know, some on the Red Sox board are discussing the possibility of acquiring Burrell as a positive. While this makes me cringe terribly, I am interested in one thing. I've seen a few posts indicating that Pat has turned into a major "head case." What's meant by that? Just that he freaks with RISP? Or something more?
                  when i say it, i mean that he's apparently incredibly self-absorbed, refuses to change his approach, and says he will veto almost any trade made with him. he's a head case in a somewhat similar way to alex rodriguez. he's a fine player playing in a city where he's hated, yet he seems entirely oblivious and doesn't seem to think it would be better to paly in a city that would appreciate him.
                  Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

when i say it, i mean that he's apparently incredibly self-absorbed, refuses to change his approach, and says he will veto almost any trade made with him. he's a head case in a somewhat similar way to alex rodriguez. he's a fine player playing in a city where he's hated, yet he seems entirely oblivious and doesn't seem to think it would be better to paly in a city that would appreciate him.
                    Would you say he's a head case in-game, too? Is that part of his problem at the plate or in the outfield?
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                      Would you say he's a head case in-game, too? Is that part of his problem at the plate or in the outfield?
                      I completely disagree with Philwings coments above. Pat Burrell is a likable, approachable guy and has tried very hard to fix things. The year he hit .207 and had an AWFUL year the fans here very uncharacteristically stuck with him. His problems are mental and physcial at the plate. His mechanics are awful probably from so much fiddiling and he looks like he has no idea what's going on at the plate. Some point to his OBP as positive. For a supposed middle of the order power guy he takes too many good pitches and then, in the hole, he swings at garbage. On top of that, his once surprisingly good outfield play has gone way downhill to boot.

I understand he has agreed to go to New York, Boston and San Francisco at this point. John Marzano claims a deal to the Giants for Armando Benitez is all but complete. (Hopefully, a deal to move Benitez follows an hour later.) There has also been some rumors of Burrell to Arizona for Johnny Estrada but quotes from Arizona posted here earlier this week claim they have no interest in acquiring Burrell.
                      Last edited by johncap; 11-06-2006, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johncap
                        I completely disagree with Philwings coments above. Pat Burrell is a likable, approachable guy and has tried very hard to fix things. The year he hit .207 and had an AWFUL year the fans he very uncharacteristically stuck with him. His problems are mental and physcial at the plate. His mechanics are awful probably from so much fiddiling and he looks like he has no idea what's going on at the plate. Some point to his OBP as positive. For a supposed middle of the order power guy he takes too many good pitches and then, in the hole, he swings at garbage. On top of that, his once surprisingly good outfield play has gone way downhill to boot.

I understand he has agreed to go to New York, Boston and San Francisco at this point. John Marzano claims a deal to the Giants for Armando Benitez is all but complete. (Hopefully, a deal to move Benitez follows an hour later.) There has also been some rumors of Burrell to Arizona for Johnny Estrada but quotes from Arizona posted here earlier this week claim they have no interest in acquiring Burrell.
                        From the sound of things, I have zero interest in him coming to Boston. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Yep, unless you like being disappointed on a daily basis during the season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X