Standing Pat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing Pat?

Well, you know, I daily check the Yahoo! Sports Baseball wire and it occurs to me the Phillies have not been mentioned AT ALL for weeks. Could it be that Stand Pat is? Nah, there'll be a barrage of great moves after the new year, I know it!
    Nah, he'll bring in a #1, an new 3B and numerous other upgrades before spring training
    0.00%
    Nah, nothing great but there will be some meaningful moves
    14.29%
    Yup, that's all she wrote: memoraize the numbers cause this is the 2006 Phillies team!
    42.86%
    What'd you expect, we gout our 57 year old closer!
    42.86%

Gillick will not get that job done. That is my vote. I think he got the job because he was able to figure out what management wanted to hear at the interview. What did management want to hear? Spend less money, create the illusion that you are trying to acquire significant ballplayers, put on the field a team that appears to be competitive, draw 2,000,000 fans, groom Amaro, and retain Manuel.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock
      Gillick will not get that job done. That is my vote. I think he got the job because he was able to figure out what management wanted to hear at the interview. What did management want to hear? Spend less money, create the illusion that you are trying to acquire significant ballplayers, put on the field a team that appears to be competitive, draw 2,000,000 fans, groom Amaro, and retain Manuel.
      So there is a plan after all...
      The Phillies Barstool Lives!

Comment

Have faith Phillies fans. Gillick has done wonders with any franchise he has been GM for. They haven't called him one of the greatest executives in baseball history for nothing.

Comment

Did Gillick do wonders for the last team he was GM for? Who gave him the nickname "Stand Pat," and why was he given that name?

Comment

He was with the Blue Jays, and orchestrated the megatrade that sent Roberto Alomar and Joe Carter to them in 1991.
            Hey, Dad.... wanna have a catch?

Comment

Originally posted by Clockwork
              He was with the Blue Jays, and orchestrated the megatrade that sent Roberto Alomar and Joe Carter to them in 1991.
              Aren't you forgetting Seattle? How much did Pat help Seattle? Why did Pat acquire in Seattle the nickname of Stand Pat? Please explain to us how Pat's tenure in Seattle was successful.

Comment

Nostalgia with roots a decade and a half in the past was obviously attractive to the Phillies who prefer what was to what could be in all transactions...

Comment

Originally posted by bluejaysfan
                  Have faith Phillies fans. Gillick has done wonders with any franchise he has been GM for. They haven't called him one of the greatest executives in baseball history for nothing.
                  Who called him that? I've never heard that. Philly is a town with litle patience, and for many reasons. He'd better get a move on or his tenure will be slightly less nasty than his predecessor's. At least this guy isn't condescending and has a baseball background.

Comment

Gillick was GM of a team in which Paul Abbott won 17 games, therefore he is the greatest GM of all time.
                    "For who? For what?" - Ricky Watters

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Wade is God
                      Gillick was GM of a team in which Paul Abbott won 17 games, therefore he is the greatest GM of all time.
                      And apparently a great pitching motivator as well.
                      I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Comment

We may have been a bit hasty with Gillick. He has just completed a blockbuster deal for the Phillies acquiring the fabulous Ryan Franklin, who was 8 and 15 last year with a 5.01 ERA. Franklin capped off his career year by being suspended for steroid abuse. It is not clear why Seattle would wish to part with him, but this acquisition should make it clear to division rivals that the Phillies will be players this year.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock
                          We may have been a bit hasty with Gillick. He has just completed a blockbuster deal for the Phillies acquiring the fabulous Ryan Franklin, who was 8 and 15 last year with a 5.01 ERA. Franklin capped off his career year by being suspended for steroid abuse. It is not clear why Seattle would wish to part with him, but this acquisition should make it clear to division rivals that the Phillies will be players this year.
                          Don you miss the essence of Franklin's signing it allows our young starters the luxury of staying in Wilkes Barre instead of getting MLB experience.
                          I call it "Pat Comb-ing" the staff.
                          Seattle obviously lost its mind letting go of Franklin who was clearly the linchpin of their success.
                          The Sage of Patterson Avenue© sees all and knows all.
                          Do not look behind the curtain!
                          When Franklin flamethrowers his way to 8 wins despite yet another pesky steroid episode we will marvel over our drinks and remark "Gillick's a genius."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X