So far, all of the Philles' retired numbers are hall of famers:

1 - Richie Ashburn
    14- Jim Bunning
    20 - Mike Schmidt
    32 - Steve Carlton
    36 - Robin Roberts
    X - Grover Cleveland Alexander
    X - Chuck Klein

(Klein and Alexander never had proper numbers, but as HOFers, are honored)

In 2010, the 30th anniversary of thre 1980 World Series, the Phils should break the HOF line and retire two more:

#45 - Tug McGraw,
    and
    #5 Paul Owens

Honoring Tug and the Pope would be a worthy addition to the pantheon.

Get as many of the 1972-84 Phils there as possible for the unveiling.
    Last edited by Ashburn1; 02-02-2007, 01:26 AM.
    "You should enter a ballpark the way you enter a church." - Bill Spaceman Lee

I'd love to see Tugger's number retired....I wouldnt mind if the Pope's was too. But I'd definantly like to see Tug's number retired.

Getting a bunch of them together shoudnt be a problem...it wasnt a few years ago, but then again we're talking about 2010, even then most of them should still be around.

Ashburn, who would you say is the Pride of the Phillies all time, behind Schmidty of course? I'd probably say Ashburn, he's a god to almost any phillies fan....your thoughts?
    Last edited by W_Marone; 01-28-2007, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by W_Marone

Ashburn, who would you say is the Pride of the Phillies all time, behind Schmidty of course? I'd probably say Ashburn, he's a god to almost any phillies fan....your thoughts?
      Well, obviously, I'm a bit biased on that question. There is no doubt that Schmidt is the greatest player in Phillies history, and in that sense, no one comes close to being the "pride" of the franchise, but Ashburn is easily the most popular. As a player, he was an almost perfect leadoff hitter and centerfielder. His decades of work in the broadcast booth made him a real institution. Several generations of baseball fans, myself included, grew up listening to him and remember him as they would an old friend.

Comment

Yuppers. Ashburn would be my all time Phillie not only as being a ball player but what he did for the Phillies.. I met the guy once after a Phillie game. His son and Tom Brookshire's kid were running loose in the stadium(they must have been 15 or 16 at the time) and we caught up with them for a few innings. Those kids knew how to get beer at their age, but the Vet wasn't too strict about carding in those days anyway(mid 70's)

We all had a good buzz going and I really didn't believe who he was until I asked him to go up to the radio booth and wave. Sure enough he was up there with dear old Dad waving down at us. I suppose you can get certain favors(buy beer, wander aimlessly about) if your father is Mr.Phillie.

Btw, I was pretty embarrased meeting him after the game being a 17 year old drunk kid with massive bloodshot eyes.

Kinda off subject but....

Comment

Here's a question, of the current Phils...any of them do you see as possibly having a chance beyond Chase and Ryan? More specifically do you think Jimmy Rollins in another 10 years will have his #11 retired?
          From Philly to Pittsburgh...

Comment

Way too soon to tell for any of them of course. The key is going to be longevity. Rollins has a great shot at surpassing 2000 hits, and how far beyond that he can go will depend on how long he can keep averaging 180+ a year. If he plays another ten years at a high level and stays with the Phils, he could go down as the #1 SS in franchise hitory.

"Could" is the operative word.

Comment

I dont see Rollin's number being retired....Howard, I'm not sure. Utley, perhaps.... I dont know..only time will tell.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X