Moyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moyer

Jamie Myer used to play fo rthe Mariners. I think Moyer will win 20+ gams fo

Originally posted by Seattle1
    Jamie Myer used to play fo rthe Mariners. I think Moyer will win 20+ gams fo
    Bartender, I'll have what he's having.

I'll be happy if he wins 12 games. I'll be freaking ecstatic if he wins 12 games. He wins 12 games, the Phillies run away with the East. He wins 20, we'll Philadelphia could be a very happy place to be in October.
    From Philly to Pittsburgh...

Comment

No way he wins 20 games, I think, and hope he pitches for the Phillies like he did last season when he came to the city or brotherly love, but I just dont see him being a 20 game winner this season. A big contributing factor is the bullpen, and I'm not sure right now if they're going to be able to keep enough of the leads going into the seventh-ninth inning to get Moyer 20 wins. I'll say 11-14 wins for old man this season.

Comment

So far, Jamie Moyer is having a pretty good spring training for the Philadelphia Phillies. He's got 14.1 IPs with a 2.51 ERA. He also has 10 Ks in those 14.1 IPs, not too shabby for Jamie Moyer.

I am jealous, I wish he was still pitching for the Seattle Mariners!

Comment

This is a pretty good article about Moyer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab3pos2

Moyer does so much more than pitch
          By LZ Granderson
          Page 2

The worst moment parents can ever experience is having to bury their own child. As the father of a 10-year-old boy, I have a difficult time even hearing a news report about the untimely death of a young person without getting misty-eyed.

But last week I was introduced to a statistic that I found to be far more heartbreaking -- one in 20 children in this country will experience the death of a parent by the time they graduate from high school. That's 14 million children thrust into a situation most adults aren't prepared to handle.

With only 75 bereavement camps in existence, there are a lot of young people out there without adequate professional support to help them navigate through such a difficult time. But Phillies pitcher Jamie Moyer and his wife Karen are working to change that.

The Moyer Foundation, which in seven years has raised over $9 million in support of more than 100 nonprofit organizations, is now joining forces with Major League Baseball to establish bereavement camps -- called Camp Erin -- in every city with a baseball team. Currently there are eight Camp Erins in six states. This week the Moyers announced plans to establish 10 more Camp Erins by the summer of 2008 and have enlisted some of baseball's biggest stars to help -- including Alex Rodriguez and his wife Cynthia; Kerry and Sarah Wood; Curt and Shonda Schilling; and Trevor and Tracy Hoffman.

The camps' name honors Erin Metcalf, a young woman the Moyers befriended who died of liver cancer in 2000. She was only 17. Jamie said Erin would always express concern over the well-being of the other children in the hospital, and after her passing the couple thought the camps would be a great way to remember her.

While the circumstances surrounding the camps' purpose is not ideal, news of the expansion warmed my heart. With so much recent pro sports talk being dominated by the likes of Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson and Pete Rose, it was nice to be reminded of the good deeds some athletes do.

"We don't think we're anything special; we're just trying to help any way we can," says Jamie, a winner of the Roberto Clemente and Lou Gehrig Awards, among other community service awards. "Being in baseball all of these years, you see how important charity work is. We just want to make as much of our lives about helping others as we possibly can."

Currently, Camp Erins serve about 450 children per summer. The first of these new camps will be in Philadelphia, where Jaime was traded late last season after 10 years in Seattle.

"You know when you see the pain in the kids' eyes when they arrive it just tears you up," Karen says. "But to see them smile and laugh again afterwards … that's all the motivation you need to keep working hard to help them and others."

And the Moyers' generosity is contagious. Tristana Leist was only 6 years old when she lost her mother, Victoria, in the summer of 2003 to cancer. The Camp Erin in her area was booked that year, but she and her brother Matthew were able to participate the following summer. Now 10, Tristana and Matthew are big Camp Erin advocates and have spoken at fundraisers about their experience.

"It has definitely changed my life and my view of things," Tristana says. "Now, I don't hate the world. I accept the world and I know my mom died for a reason. I know this because we've done a lot of volunteer work to try to help other kids who also lost a loved one. We call it giving back."

Tristana's father, Karl, says the camp helped him, as well. "I was devastated, and it was a struggle sometimes for me to get my two brokenhearted children dressed and ready for school," he said. "But after the camp the kids started laughing again and we were able to have fun again, and that really helped me deal with my own heart.

"Before, they felt like the only kids on the planet going through that kind of pain. But they met 40 other kids, and they cried together and did karaoke together and talked, and they realized God just didn't pick them out but that sometimes bad things happen to good people."

The weekend-long camp is for children aged 6-17 -- and because of the Moyer Foundation and community fundraising, it's free. Professional bereavement counselors work alongside community volunteers to help with the healing process. For more information go to the Moyer Foundation Web site.

One of the more amazing aspects of the Moyers' efforts is that they are able to give so much of themselves while still raising six children between the ages of 2 and 15. "We work really hard to make sure there's a good balance," says Karen, who plans to take her oldest son with her to Guatemala to volunteer in an orphanage for two weeks this summer. "We try to teach our children that there's no promise of tomorrow so we should make the most of today."

Jamie agrees. "I feel very blessed because I am living out the dream I had when I was 6 and 7 years old," he says. "So doing whatever we can to help is like us saying, 'Thank you.'"

Jamie went 5-2 with a 4.03 ERA in eight starts for the Phillies last season, including a 4-1 record in September, earning himself a new two-year deal with the club. But at age 44, the question of how much gas he has left in the tank is one he's frequently asked. The one-time All Star answers with: "I don't know."

But with a career record of 216-166 and an ERA of 4.17, it's unlikely that Cooperstown will be calling when he does eventually hang it up.

That's too bad. After all, if this era of steroids has taught us anything, it's that numbers don't always tell the full story.

LZ Granderson is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and host of the ESPN360 talk show "Game Night." LZ can be reached at [email protected].

Comment

Even though he lost, last night Jamie Moyer passed another milestone: 2,000 strikeouts for his career! Not too shabby for a guy who's not really a "strikeout pitcher" anyway.

Congrats Jamie Moyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
              Even though he lost, last night Jamie Moyer passed another milestone: 2,000 strikeouts for his career! Not too shabby for a guy who's not really a "strikeout pitcher" anyway.

Congrats Jamie Moyer.

Wes Helms lost the game last night, not Jamie Moyer. So far, Stand Pat's two acquisitions, Helms and Rod Barajas look to be total wastes. Helms is the worst defensive third sacker I've seen in Philly since Headly.

Comment

Moyer announced as fifth starter. That is right on the money:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300330118

Comment

Who would have thought this man would still be here this long - he is about to enter his 4th decade of play (80's, 90's, 00's, 10's). To put it another way, he started playing in the Major Leagues right around when up and coming phenom Felix Hernandez was born! Once he makes his first appearance of the 2010 season, he will become part of an 18 member group that have played 24+ seasons! That is pretty rarified air there.

If Glavine and Johnson stay away, that puts Moyer as the active leader in wins (258) and Innings (3908.2)! Moyer is what, 47 years old now? And pitching the same as the day he came up. It helps to stick around when your pitch speed hovers around the uppper 60's and you aren't even throwing a knuckleball

Here's to Moyer, may he have another wonderful season. May he go and win 20 games and another WS Title! And to all you young pitchers out there, go talk to this man - he is always willing to pass on some bit of wisdom.
                  Last edited by Edgartohof; 04-02-2010, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X