Abreu for Manny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abreu for Manny

Over in the Red Sox forum, they are discussing a rumored Abreu for Manny Ramirez trade. Mattingly asked me to give a heads up to Phils fans to chip in their two cents on Abreu for the benefit of Sox fans. Or you can discuss it here. Have a nice day.
    Let's rid baseball of the pestilence of the DH now and forever!

it was writen today in the philadelphia inquire, that all of theese rumors surrounding bobby have hurt him. how do you think this could affect his production?
    "I had a good look at the first pitch I ever saw from Drysdale. If I had not ducked, it would have hit my right between the eyes."

Comment

I'm really concerned about Bobby's feelings. Having watched him play right field for many years now, I know how much Bobby hates pain. In fact, during the off season, he is always lobbying his bosses to pad the walls with plushy pillows.

Those of us who have been urging a trade for Abreu probably never considered how much psychic pain we were causing him. It is now time to call a moratorium on all trade talks involving Bobby Abreu. After all, he is a human being, and we have no business treating him as if he were an inamimate object suitable for crass barter.

Comment

I saw this, since it was mentioned in this thread, from the Philly Inquirer:

Abreu is hurt by trade rumors, friends say
        Each passing day this off-season seems to have brought another trade rumor involving Bobby Abreu.

And each one has apparently cut the Phillies' rightfielder a little deeper.

"I think he's really hurt," a friend of Abreu's who asked not to be named said the other day. "He feels rejected."

The rumors started right after the World Series. Abreu has been headed to Toronto, Boston, Houston, Chicago (Cubs), Los Angeles (Dodgers) and Baltimore.

If Manchester United had a top-of-the-rotation starter it was willing to deal, Abreu might be headed there, too.

By all accounts, new general manager Pat Gillick still has a bunch of lines in the water as he fishes for a significant starting pitcher. Abreu, a valuable offensive talent whose 291 times on base last season were topped only by MVPs Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols, is his best piece of bait.
        I'm wondering why the Phillies would want to trade him. He's got a .879 OPS, 31 thefts, 24 dingers, 102 ribs, 37 doubles and 162 games.

Over on the Red Sox forum (please see this thread), I think it was philsphan that said he wasn't the most energetic person out there. Does he just let balls drop, or do they get by him a lot? From a purely offensive perspective, he seems very good, and his .286 BA, while not excellent, is at least very good.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 01-16-2006, 11:55 PM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

The answer is simple. You don't trade Abreu for Manny. Phils' have to be crazy to even talk of such a loss.
          Texas Ranger Baseball 2008.. :applaud:

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Rangers
            The answer is simple. You don't trade Abreu for Manny. Phils' have to be crazy to even talk of such a loss.
            Seems sometimes that the Red Sox fans are wondering about losing Manny's bat.

I'm personally very wary of what stunts Manny may pull this season, and with his displeasure in requesting a trade, I'd be more than willing to accommodate him.

I certainly don't see Boston willing to pay that much of Manny's approximately $60m over the remaining 3 seasons, but if Philly is willing to have a slower but much offensively stronger player out there in LF, and can find someone to play RF (Manny used to play RF in Cleveland), they've got a superstar available.

It may even benefit both clubs, as Manny has often requested trades, and the change in scenery could work to his advantage. If Boston were to deal with the lower offensive production, they may have a faster player on their hands. Also fewer lackadaisical plays being made.

On second thought, it may better benefit Boston in the end, but their fans here don't seem to agree.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Isn't it fascinating to see what non-Phillie fans think of Abreu? Not to know him is to love him.

Comment

Abreu is quite the statistical darling...
                Comparing Abreu to Pujols makes me want to hark milk through my nose.
                What are the odds so many people who have spent a decade watching Abreu would all flatly agree on his contributions with stark clarity?
                Despite this anamolous unanimity amongst Phillies fans, who live to contradict each other, it falls upon those who catch his cup of coffee All Star moment to tell us how good he really is on paper.
                The Phillies Barstool Lives!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Rangers
                  Our sad devotion to the Phils organization, despite their policy of remaining second best or worse, by definition make us crazy.

Make the deal.

Like the Thome trade, right now we'll settle for anything that might foster a spark of enthusiasm.
                  I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Comment

Wasn't the Abreu for Manny rumor going around months ago? Anyway, it won't happen. Manny is making more money than Abreu and the Phillies aren't in a rush to add salary. The trade would be interesting though, Red Sox fans are die hards and they would be able to notice Abreu's lethargic outfielding. Since the Red Sox are always on TV and we always hear about them, maybe the opinons of Abreu of non-Phillies fans will change.
                    "For who? For what?" - Ricky Watters

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X