Manager Charlie Manuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager Charlie Manuel

Now that the losses are again piling up like Carters little liver pills, it's time to guess how many of them it will take before management gets their collective heads out of their collective butts and replaces Uncle Charlie with one of the more quaified people on staff.

Say what you wantm but when you bring in a reliver in the bottom of the 7th and that reliever bats to lead off the top of the 8th, and THEN implodes (with the help of some more shoddy defense) in the bottom of the 8th, the manager had something to do with losing the game. I thought last year they explained the concept of the double switch to him?
    10-20
    15.79%
    21-30
    0.00%
    31-40
    10.53%
    41-50
    0.00%
    51-60
    5.26%
    61-70
    5.26%
    71-80
    10.53%
    81-90
    52.63%

The poll is expired.

I voted 81-90 because I think they ARE too stupid to fire him and will let him have the year, ANOTHER in a long list of wasted seasons in Phillies history.

Alas, all is not lost....who's planning the 10,000th loss party?

Comment

This guy lost with one of the best teams I've ever seen in Cleveland; at this poit, management is waisting time and talent with your manager. I judge him to be one of the all-time worst
      In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

I voted 71-80. Charlie Manuel is an awful manager on any team. I remember him running the Indians into the ground, and was pretty shocked when the Phillies hired him. I actually had Geoff Geary on my fantasy team last year and wasn't overly impressed. I'm not sure what if anything was going through his head when he had Geoff Geary pitching around Julio Franco (a 48-year-old right-handed bench guy...) to face Jose Reyes (a budding superstar who happens to bat better from the left hand side of the plate AND is on fire)...
        Last edited by Dalkowski110; 04-09-2007, 09:56 PM.
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Manuel Moronicus

"Believe me, if I knew what to do, I'd definitely do it." This quote from Charlie Manuel, the dumbest, most pathetic manager in baseball and therefore the perfect guy to be guiding the Phillies (who have been groomed expertly by Wade and Gillick to lose), ought to get him fired at once. Why retain a person who admits that he does not know what the hell to do? Not only does he say that he does not know what to do but his actions on the baseball field have been proving just that for the last three years. He still cannot make the double switch, he still cannot make up a lineup card, he still cannot speak English, he still cannot think (either on his feet or sitting down), and he still imagines that trial by combat is the way to decide who is right.

Last night, after an 8-1 loss to the Mets, Manuel at a news conference bristled at the suggestion from local sportscaster Howard Eskin that the manager should express some anger once in a while at the players. Manuel's response? To challenge Eskin to meet him in his office so that Eskin could witness some anger. Eskin naturally accepted the challange and Manuel proceeded to blow up at Eskin for being on him these past three years. Milt Thompson had to restrain Manuel from attacking Eskin, and that too was unfortunate. It would have been nice to see Manuel charged with assault, and it would have been just as nice to see Eskin get smashed. Two ugly birds could have been killed with one stone. "I been growed up," said Manuel eloquently as he was being led away by Thompson.

No doubt Manuel's performance will get him a one-year extension on his contract, at the same rate, of course, the one that happens to be the lowest in baseball.

Comment

I think the kinds of losses will be more important than the number. If they keep playing games where they're down 1 or 2 runs and then give up more runs, then he'll get fired sooner than if they lose games by 1-3 runs.
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

So, like losing close games will get him fired faster than games like last night's 8-1 sleeper against the 'Ets?

If they're gonna fire him, it'll be this week after they get swept in Washington by that dreadful team and probably lose 2-3 in Cincinnati.

BUT, the way that club operates, now that Howard Eskin called them out last night, they'll refuse to "give in" to the fans and fire the guy.

Comment

Does Cholly still bounce that ball on the dugout step, like he did in Cleveland.

Used to drive us nuts.

What's surprising is they kept Cholly after Thome left. No clue why they did that.

Comment

Originally posted by HDH View Post
                  This guy lost with one of the best teams I've ever seen in Cleveland; at this poit, management is waisting time and talent with your manager. I judge him to be one of the all-time worst

Cholly went 90-72 in his first-ever season as a manager, which was with Cleveland in 2000.

In his second season, Cholly went 91-71. Those are winning seasons, last I looked.

Cholly had a better W-L record in his first two seasons in Cleveland than Nap Lajoie did in HIS first two seasons. He was also better than Lou Boudreau in HIS first two seasons. Only two managers in Tribe history had better records in their first two seasons: Tris Speaker and Al Lopez. Cholly is third-best in the 100-plus year history of the franchise.

He was fired halfway through his third season, after starting 39-48. This was with Ricky Guitierrez at second base, since Robbie Alomar was already traded. Cholly's replacement, Joel Skinner, finished the season at 35-40.

Are you seriously stating that the 2002 Indians were "one of the best teams you've ever seen in Cleveland"? You need to take a look at the 1994-2001 Tribe teams a lil harder.

He may be everything you Philly fans say he is, but he was not a loser in Cleveland until they traded nearly everyone who was worth anything for some of the youngsters we are seeing today.

Did Cholly go 0-for-13 with RiSP against the Mets? No, that was his batters. Guys like Utley and Howard.

Cholly may be an inbred hillbilly who cannot speak English to save his life, but there is absolutely no evidence that he is any worse than any other manager.

Besides, who the hell else would be willing to work in Philly, home of the very worst sports fans in existence?
                  Last edited by Ytown Tribe fan; 04-18-2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Without looking it up, weren't Manny and Thome still there? Because a manager goes 90-72 doesn't mean the team shouldn't have gone 95-67. To wit (no pun intended) the last two years of the Phils. The line goes that managers don't lose games but, like a Jim Leyland, can win 4-5 games a year. In Manuel's case, his moves, and lack of moves, cost this team 8-10 games a year, no question in my mind. He STILL doesn't know what the purpose of a double switch is. Last week he changes pitchers in the 6th with the pitcher's spot leading off the next inning, let's the pitcher bat and strikeout, and then let's that pitcher blow the game in the following inning.

Comment

And let's look at Philly managers then.

Who has been better than Cholly in his first two seasons in Philly?

HoFer Harry Wright? Nope.
                      HoFer Hugh Duffy? Nope.
                      Red Dooin? Nope.
                      Burt Shotten? Nope.
                      Mayo Smith? Nope.
                      Gene Mauch? No sir.
                      Danny Ozark? Not even close.
                      Jim Fregosi? Nope.
                      Larry Bowa? uh uh.

Only Bill Shettsline (1899-1900), Billy Murray (1907-1908), Pat Moran (1915-1916) and Eddie Sawyer (1949-1950) were more successful in their first two full seasons with the Phillies than Cholly has been.

That's four managers in well over 100 years that started better in Philly than Cholly has.

Comment

So, what the hell does that prove? It's not an accident we'll hit 10,000 loses this year.

Again, fact is to measure a manager by his record doesn't cut it. In both cases, Manuel had VERY talented teams and in both cases he failed to get there. Contrast that with Jim Leyland.

Argue all you want, Manuel is an inept manager, period, end of story.

Comment

This is a Phillies rite of spring, starting like a huge, steaming disappointment stranding every runner, and then it clicks for some uber-talented player getting an everyday shot and they have a run at .500 if not the playoffs, Top 3 in runs even with low RISP.

Charlie Manuel isn't dragging this team down singlehandedly, it's guys like Ryan Madson and Barajas helping. I'm not sure which manager would do better, they shouldn't panic. But I do wonder what if Leyland had joined the Phils.

They can still put it together if Hamels keeps it up and Moyer can be a soothsayer again.
                          (fantasy football)
                          JM: Only did that for a couple of years and then we had a conspiracy so it kind of turned me sour. Our league's commissioner, Lew Ford(notes) at the time, was doing some shady things that ... I'd rather not talk about [laughs].
                          DB: Isn't he in Japan right now?
                          JM: I don't know where Lou is right now. He's probably fleeing the authorities [laughs].

Comment

Originally posted by johncap View Post
                            So, like losing close games will get him fired faster than games like last night's 8-1 sleeper against the 'Ets?
                            Other way around. Losing those games are worse, IMO. They could have come back but they just stopped trying and that's why it ended in a 8-1 blowout.
                            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

What does it prove?

It doesn't prove anything.

I'm simply stating a fact: Cholly Manuel has never had a losing full season as a manager, ever. How many managers can make that claim?

You don't like him? Well, gosh ... that just makes you a Phillies fan. Phillies fans don't like anything about their team. They found fault in 1950, they found fault in 1980 and they find fault today. They found fault with the best player in franchise history and they found fault with the best thirdbaseman in baseball history.

I'm saying, blame it on the players, not the manager.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X