Phillie Things to be Happy About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillie Things to be Happy About

1. Let's be happy the owners who have made this team so competitive remain the owners. And let us hope that they all discover the secret of eternal life so that the Phillies will never be without them.

2. Let's be happy that the Phillies were fortunate enough to sign Pat Gillick to replace Ed Wade. At the time, Ed seemed irreplaceable, and there was much mourning in Phillie town when the Phillies terminated his contract so that he could as a scout pursue talent for another organization. But wonderful Pat has made Phillie fans practically forget about Eddie by making such blockbuster deals as the signing of Tom Gordon and the retaining of Pat Burrell and the acquisition of Adam Eaton and the superb Freddy Garcia. And when fans contemplate the fabulous bench and fabulous bullpen of the Phillies, the only words that come to mind are "Eddie who?"

3. Let's be happy that Garcia was thoughtful enough to run into a utility cart during batting practice so that he could remove his 6+ ERA from the starting rotation. That kind of selflessness bespeaks character, the kind that makes a team competitive.

4. Let's be happy that the Phillies refused to give Ryan Howard another $100,000, thereby insuring that he would still be a hungry ballplayer this year. The incredible start that Howard has gotten off to this year proves how wise the Phillies were to continue to underpay him. Ryan no longer hits the ball to left field, and he is clearly enjoying himself immensely in playing for an organization that has always been so appreciative of his talent.

5. Finally, let's be more than happy--let's be ecstatic--that the Phillies have ignored the unfair criticism that has been leveled at Charlie Manuel and have kept him as the manager. "Keep it Simple, Stupid!" has been Charlie's personal mantra since day one, and the results speak for themselves. Manuel's eloquence, his ability to compress a tiny little bit of meaning into a large number of words, his skill at inventing new words like "flustrated," and the poetry in the man that produces memorable quotes such as "I done been growed up!" will eventually place him in the pantheon of baseball greats who were blessed with the gift of gab. But it is as a strategist that Manuel will stake his claim to Hall of Fame greatness. Gene Mauch may have invented the double switch, but Charlie--our very own Charlie--by ignoring it has made the genius of the double switch blatantly apparent to even the most dense baseball fan. This ability to teach by example shows how intelligent the Phillies' organization was to hire him and to retain him. Charlie teaches so skillfully by example that he does not even appear to be aware that he is doing so. He is a natural.

So there are many things to be happy about in Phillieland. It behooves all of us to stop being negative and to open our eyes to the magnificence that radiates from every pore of the Phillie corpus.
    Last edited by Johnny Thinslow; 05-07-2007, 08:00 AM.

1) the phillies have been competitive the last few years, and would a change in management or ownership change yopur feelings about the team? No.
    2) why would a team worry where a fired employee go to next, especially when said fired employee didn't visit the post season in his 8 seasons?
    3) with your reasoning on garcia you seem to want the phillies to just cut him completely, after a month? hmmm, i see why aren't a general manager.
    4) ryan no longer hits the ball to left field? relax buddy, he has a quad that is giving him problems and tweeked his knee a week and a half ago. after the shot to center last night, he seems to be getting a more consistent swing at the plate. he will come around. as far as the contract, its right on par with what pujols got after his great season. howard comes from a good family and isn't money hungry, he is patient unlike you and will get paid by the Phillies in due time.
    5) you act like charlie manuel has never done anything right for the phillies, that is getting old.
    Last edited by jalbright; 07-04-2007, 05:17 PM. Reason: bickering

Comment

I'd like the chime in here...

Aristocrat: What exactly makes you think (stats, etc...) that the Phillies could be a playoff team?
      ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
      ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

the starting pitching, they have an mvp on the team, the speed, the bats.
        Last edited by jalbright; 07-04-2007, 05:28 PM. Reason: bickering

Comment

They took their best starting pitcher and put him in the bullpen...
          ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

with good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ARISTOCRAT View Post
              with good reason.

With bad reason. The starting pitching is not strong. Only Moyer and Hamels are dependable. The removal of Myers was a desperate measure to cover up Gillick's off-season failure to acquire a closer.

Unfortunately, the 2007 Phillies are not a contender; they are not even competitive.

It is an old story. The Phillies can never overcome the chronic failures of Phillie management. The history of this team since 1983 is proof.

Comment

with good reason.
                I honestly can't tell if you're joking. You rival every other Phillies fan I've seen hear and know. I know I'd be furious if Billy Wagner was struggling a bit and the Mets decided to put Pedro Martinez in the bullpen (I know he's currently injured, but you get the point). How can getting 60-70 innings out of your best pitcher be better than getting 200 innings out of him?
                ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

moyers, hamels, garcia, and eaton are solid. eaton stepped up last night and had a good performance. its the best starting pitching the phills have had in years. the move by myers was something they planned back in spring training when they originally sent flash home.
                  Last edited by jalbright; 07-04-2007, 05:29 PM. Reason: name calling deleted

Comment

Originally posted by moebarguy View Post
                    I honestly can't tell if you're joking. You rival every other Phillies fan I've seen hear and know. I know I'd be furious if Billy Wagner was struggling a bit and the Mets decided to put Pedro Martinez in the bullpen (I know he's currently injured, but you get the point). How can getting 60-70 innings out of your best pitcher be better than getting 200 innings out of him?

no, that isn't a good point, pedro is old and doesn't have closer stuff. now if you were talking about pedro with the red sox towards the beginning of his career with them, then it would be similar. myers has closer stuff, i compare it to john smoltz, dennis eckersly. you do what your team needs.

Comment

no, that isn't a good point, pedro is old and doesn't have closer stuff. now if you were talking about pedro with the red sox towards the beginning of his career with them, then it would be similar. myers has closer stuff, i compare it to john smoltz, dennis eckersly. you do what your team needs.
                      Actually, I think Pedro would make a good closer. He has a nice arsenal of pitches and he thrives in pressure situations. For instance, Hoffman doesn't blow people away -- he has a nasty change. That's the general misconception about closers -- it's probably why so many teams take a chance on Jorge Julio.
                      ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

The guys you mentioned also started closing later in their careers. Myers has two seasons under his belt and was a budging stud starter.
                        ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

does the time of the career matter? no. pedro doesn't have closer stuff, he doesn't even have starting stuff anymore.

Comment

Yep. The Phillies offense is just mowing down the opposing pitching. :disbelief:

Rollins will be eating his pre season words come the post season when their watching the reigning NL East Champs.
                            P.S.
                            Starting pitching is nothing without an offense who can give them alot of run support. Think about that.
                            Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Moving Myers into the bullpen was a move the Phillies forced themselves to make because of crucial moves they failed to make during the off season. And it seems clear that the Phillies are now much weaker in the starting pitching category and may be stronger in the closing category. A definite negative is not canceled out by a possible positive. And Moe's point about the fewer innings that Myers will be pitching remains an excellent one.

Consequently, the Myers move offers little to be happy about.
                              Last edited by jalbright; 07-04-2007, 05:32 PM. Reason: recounting of fight

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X