No announcement yet.

Phillie Things to be Happy About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have at least brought him out to start the 9th inning. He was lights out until the walk & the HR, then he pulled himself together to finish the 7th. Then he pitched well in the 8th. I would stick with him as long as he didn't struggle in the 9th. If he doesn't struggle, he would throw 10-15 pitches in the 9th. That would give him a pitch count in the 130's I believe.

He wants to be the man & he is the future. Let him finish the job. The fact he's 23 is reason enough to let him finish the game. He's still young. His arm can handle it. Plus he's going to have bad games or be in close games where he may not get to 100 pitches.

Unfortunately Wednesday's game was more about Brett Myers' redemption than letting a young gun finish what he started.

Comment

Originally posted by mwb View Post
      I would have at least brought him out to start the 9th inning. He was lights out until the walk & the HR, then he pulled himself together to finish the 7th. Then he pitched well in the 8th. I would stick with him as long as he didn't struggle in the 9th. If he doesn't struggle, he would throw 10-15 pitches in the 9th. That would give him a pitch count in the 130's I believe.

He wants to be the man & he is the future. Let him finish the job. The fact he's 23 is reason enough to let him finish the game. He's still young. His arm can handle it. Plus he's going to have bad games or be in close games where he may not get to 100 pitches.

Unfortunately Wednesday's game was more about Brett Myers' redemption than letting a young gun finish what he started.
      hamels should never be allowed to throw 130 pitches, as i've told you before, see the cubs for your reasons why, please notice reasons is not singular there.
      Last edited by jalbright; 07-04-2007, 05:41 PM. Reason: bickering removed

Comment

For every Mark Prior & Kerry Wood you bring up, I'll bring up Dontrelle Willis or Livan Hernandez.

Not every pitcher's arm is going to fall off when they go over 100 pitches. Getting injured probably has more to do with genetics than how much someone pitches. That's why some guys develop arm problems in their 20's & others pitch 200 innings every year or pitch into their 40's. Besides, that's how it was done in the old days & the pitchers who could do it pitched 300 innings a year & others got hurt when they pitched 50 innings a year.

Comment

For every Mark Prior & Kerry Wood you bring up, I'll bring up Dontrelle Willis or Livan Hernandez.

Not every pitcher's arm is going to fall off when they go over 100 pitches. Getting injured probably has more to do with genetics than how much someone pitches. That's why some guys develop arm problems in their 20's & others pitch 200 innings every year or pitch into their 40's. Besides, that's how it was done in the old days & the pitchers who could do it pitched 300 innings a year & others got hurt when they pitched 50 innings a year.
          obviously you aren't an evolution fan mwb.

Comment

"Genetics" is a word Manuel can't spell or define, but it seems clear that pitchers like Wood and Prior would still end up on the DL even if they were babied.

Hamels and other starters should be allowed to finish, and Myers has to be used properly. Manuel will not be able to do either. He flies by the seat of his pants and usually crashes.
            Last edited by Johnny Thinslow; 05-18-2007, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Thinslow View Post
              "Genetics" is a word Manuel can't spell or define, but it seems clear that pitchers like Wood and Prior would still end up on the DL even if they were babied.

Hamels and other starters should be allowed to finish, and Myers has to be used properly. Manuel will not be able to do either. He flies by the seat of his pants and usually crashes.
              why wouldn't manuel be able to do either?

Comment

there are roster spots taken up by relief pitchers for a reason. Cole has had shoulder problems not unlike Freddy "200+ INNINGS LOOK GUYS HE THROWS A LOT OF INNINGS SERIOUSLY" Garcia, I don't understand what is accomplished by doing that.
                Last edited by jalbright; 07-04-2007, 05:43 PM. Reason: name calling deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Thinslow View Post
                  1. Let's be happy the owners who have made this team so competitive remain the owners. And let us hope that they all discover the secret of eternal life so that the Phillies will never be without them.
                  What are you smoking? That's like saying, let's be happy the Titanic has a few lifeboats. The Phillies futility starts at the top like any other organization. This band of thieves is the root cause of the failures over their now long reign. I guess your point is they're better than some, hey, the team is over .500 many years lately.... Great. I'm not into nuclear explosions either.

Comment

Originally posted by Postblank View Post
                    there are roster spots taken up by relief pitchers for a reason. Cole has had shoulder problems not unlike Freddy "200+ INNINGS LOOK GUYS HE THROWS A LOT OF INNINGS SERIOUSLY" Garcia, I don't understand what is accomplished by doing that.
                    If the bullpen was more stable, I would agree with you in most cases.
                    Last edited by jalbright; 07-04-2007, 05:44 PM. Reason: deletions from quoted material to match deletions to that post

Comment

Originally posted by johncap View Post
                      What are you smoking? That's like saying, let's be happy the Titanic has a few lifeboats. The Phillies futility starts at the top like any other organization. This band of thieves is the root cause of the failures over their now long reign. I guess your point is they're better than some, hey, the team is over .500 many years lately.... Great. I'm not into nuclear explosions either.
                      You should consider getting your sarcasm detector re-calibrated.

Comment

Yah, funny how he missed the sarcasm in that one....must be having an off day...

Great Ball Teams: Tigers '68, Phils '80, Tigers '84

Comment

Originally posted by Postblank View Post
                          You should consider getting your sarcasm detector re-calibrated.
                          Clearly the context of the comments has shorted many a sarcasm detector.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X