Jim Salisbury | Gillick registers his disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Salisbury | Gillick registers his disappointment

Pat Gillick sounded a lot like Larry Bowa yesterday, only with a little more polish.
    In June 2001, during his second season as the Phillies' manager, Bowa caused a memorable firestorm by saying "the middle of the lineup is killing us."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._Upstairs.html

i think gillick is right. if the phills bats came around more consistently the bullpen would have easier jobs. given what they have, they need that, and the bats could be the difference in making it to the post season an not making it.

burrell has stepped up already, 2-2 a single and a 3 run home run to put the phills in front.
    helms has struck out twice i believe, he needs to take a seat or a trip to aaa.

Comment

burrell 3-3 with a single, 2 hr, and 5 rbi.

Comment

gillick also said the phills need to score 4 and 5 runs to win games, not 2 and 3. the phills got the 5. the starter just went 7 innings. geary is up in the pen, i'm assuming he will do the 8th, if the phills don't put up anymore runs myers will take the ninth. with a 3 run lead i'm sure geary is coming in, if it were a one run lead, myers might be coming in for two.

Comment

Salisbury entioned the discussion we were having the other day where Eaton hit with men on base in the 7th inning instead of being lifted for a pinchhitter. That's what happens when you don't have confidence in the bullpen.

Comment

the phills scored the 5 runs that gillick requested. the bullpen promptly blew the 4 run lead. by promptly i mean the very inning geary came in, the inning is not over, it is simply haulted by rain. the phillies bats can still come out of this if they are given the chance by mother nature, but i'm sure gillick is going to hear about the bullpen from plenty of people. rowand came up as being someone to trade for a reliever. gillick may have been asking for dobbs, bourne, and vic to all pick up thier play so rowand can be the guy that brings in a reliever. honestly rowand would be a tough guy to let go, he is a great guy for the phillies and thier fans, but if he can bring in someone to help the bullpen consistently then i wouldn't mind a trade.

Comment

Originally posted by mwb View Post
              Salisbury entioned the discussion we were having the other day where Eaton hit with men on base in the 7th inning instead of being lifted for a pinchhitter. That's what happens when you don't have confidence in the bullpen.
              The bullpen, of course, is the real problem, but Gillick won't admit that because then he would have to acknowledge that he failed to strengthen it during the off season.

Gillick, not the middle of the lineup, is to blame for the fact that the Phillies once again will not be in the playoffs.

Comment

the answer for this season is the phillies bats, in more ways than one.

Comment

The Phillies come out on top in the series against the cubs, the bats fell silent in the final game, but Lilly brought his A+ game as well. The bats of the Phillies did however come around and in crucial parts of the games in this series, even in todays game they got to within one before the final inning. I see even better things happening for the Phillies the rest of this month and the rest of the year because Jroll, I believe, went 0 for the series against the cubs and Howard was on the bench the entire series. When those to return to form, the Phillies with the power and speed they can put out there when everyone is healthy are one of the top offensive teams in the game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X