Howard placed on DL, Coste called up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard placed on DL, Coste called up

Much to the delight of Phillies fans, the feel-good story of 2006, Chris Coste is back with the Phillies.

Unfortunately, the other feel good story of 2006, Ryan Howard, is now on the disabled list. Coste will be taking his roster spot.

Greg Dobbs will start most games at first base in Howard's absense.

if coste does well, the phills may keep him up over barajas when howard comes back.

Comment

I don't think it will ever get to that point. Coste will sit on the bench as a pinch hitting option or backup Dobbs (also Helms) at first. He probably won't even catch.

Comment

helms and barajas should not feel very comfortable right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ARISTOCRAT View Post
          if coste does well, the phills may keep him up over barajas when howard comes back.
          Doubtful. Even though Gillick has acknowledged Barajas isn't getting it done at the plate (like anyone who looked at Barajas's career stats could've told him would happen), Gillick holds no stock in Chris Coste. Even though Barajas could probably clear waivers, Pat is probably looking to justify paying Rod three times what Coste would've got.

I'm excited to see Chris play again, I'm actually now interested in going to the Phestival since he might be there.

Originally posted by mwb View Post
          I don't think it will ever get to that point. Coste will sit on the bench as a pinch hitting option or backup Dobbs (also Helms) at first. He probably won't even catch.
          Rod Barajas better hope Coste doesn't catch, then people would realize how marginal the difference between them is defensively.
          Last edited by Postblank; 05-12-2007, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Well Coste has 2 weeks to prove why he needs to be in the big leagues. I am pulling for him, and after Dobbs going 4-4 yesturday its going to be tough to take his roster spot. I know Barajas is going no where but man would I love to see Coste and Ruiz doing the catching. Wishful thinking on my end.

Comment

the defense from barajas, in my eyes, was his saving grace over coste. now coste has a couple of opportunities to stay on the phillies roster, outhit helms and barajas, and play better defense then helms and barajas. if he does, then i will join the coste to majors discussion rooting for coste.

Comment

Originally posted by Pxpwop15 View Post
                Well Coste has 2 weeks to prove why he needs to be in the big leagues. I am pulling for him, and after Dobbs going 4-4 yesturday its going to be tough to take his roster spot. I know Barajas is going no where but man would I love to see Coste and Ruiz doing the catching. Wishful thinking on my end.
                It probably doesn't pay to get too excited about Coste. He's a good guy but he doesn't have the upside of Ruiz & he doesn't have the experience of Barajas. Unfortunately, none of the three of them are even average major league catchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pxpwop15 View Post
                  I don't think Dobbs would have to worry, being a straight LHB. Nunez is really only good from the right side, but being a left infielder protects him. Especially after Sandoval and Thurston had such miserable showing last year.
                  If anyone should be worried, it's Werth and Barajas.

Originally posted by mwb View Post
                  It probably doesn't pay to get too excited about Coste. He's a good guy but he doesn't have the upside of Ruiz & he doesn't have the experience of Barajas. Unfortunately, none of the three of them are even average major league catchers.
                  I'm not going to pretend like any of them have displayed gold glove ability, but I wouldn't say any of them have cost the team games. Ruiz and Coste had some rookie moments last year, but they vastly improved towards the end of the season. Judging by how much Ruiz has improved already, he should be a premier catcher in a couple years. Barajas is basically a Canadian Sal Fasano. Adam Eaton should DH for Barajas during Interleague play.

Comment

coste got his first at bat tonight. pinch hitting spot. opposite field fly out, just short of the warning track.

Comment

Originally posted by ARISTOCRAT View Post
                      coste got his first at bat tonight. pinch hitting spot. opposite field fly out, just short of the warning track.
                      That was a quality at bat. 4 or 5 appearances like that a game, and he'd be putting up numbers similar to last year. The bottom of the order could learn a lot from following Chris's example.
                      1- Make the pitcher throw a strike, especially if he's in a spot.
                      2- Wait on something you like until you get two strikes.
                      3- Once you have two strikes, defend the plate until you can get a good hack.

His Whiteness would've loved watching Coste, too bad he never got the chance.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X