No Confidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Confidence

This morning on WIP. inspired by the no confidence vote that is looming over the head of Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, Angelo Cataldi asked for the name of the Philadelphia sports figure who most deserves a vote of no confidence.

If the vote were limited to people assciated with the Phillies, the first name that comes to this mind is

1. Charlie Manuel: is it fair to bring him up? He is so pathetically stupid, so mindlessly stubborn, so blatantly unqualified to manage that it seems absurd even to consider him. Blame must be automatically shifted to the the guy who hired him, which brings us to

2. Eddie Wade: but he is no longer with us. His crippling legacy remains, but the arrogant one is gone, and what is the point of expressing a no confidence vote in someone who has already been impeached, which brings us to his successor,

3. Pat Gillick: Gillick has not fired Manuel. That is inexplicable, so inexplicable that it seems clear that Pat is just a figurehead, fattening his pension but not making any decisions that would have any appreciable effect on this team. The Phillies have made no progress under his watch and will once again miss the playoffs this year. Gillick actually did allow himself to talk a few weeks ago when he criticized the middle of the batting lineup, but that was a charade to cover up a glaring weakness that PG had never addressed in the off season, the bullpen. However, even these transparently dishonest words were too much for the puppet master himself, which brings us to the guy who may be the most deserving of all for the no confidence vote,

4. Diaper Dave Montgomery: Montgomery apparently hauled Gillick's rear end into his office and spanked him for being so negative about the middle of the lineup. No soiled diapers on Dave's watch! Everything must be happy and wonderful in Phillieland. Here is your ultimate loser. As long as this pathetic puffball of putrescence runs this organization, it will go nowhere. It has gone nowhere since he arrived, is going nowhere today, and will continue to go nowhere as long as he remains. And as long as fans fill the seats of the ballpark, Montgomery will go nowhere else.
    Last edited by Johnny Thinslow; 05-22-2007, 11:05 AM.

And as long as fans fill the seats of the ballpark, Montgomery will go nowhere else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ah, but what a beautiful park to see a major league game in...after all, this is the entertainment business...even the Rolling Stones give a subpar concert once in a while..

Great Ball Teams: Tigers '68, Phils '80, Tigers '84

Comment

The no confidence vote should ultimately rest with the ownership group.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met View Post
        The no confidence vote should ultimately rest with the ownership group.

Yes, all of them, but Montgomery is the face. Not the brain, but the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Thinslow View Post
          This morning on WIP. inspired by the no confidence vote that is looming over the head of Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, Angelo Cataldi asked for the name of the Philadelphia sports figure who most deserves a vote of no confidence.

If the vote were limited to people assciated with the Phillies, the first name that comes to this mind is

1. Charlie Manuel: is it fair to bring him up? He is so pathetically stupid, so mindlessly stubborn, so blatantly unqualified to manage that it seems absurd even to consider him. Blame must be automatically shifted to the the guy who hired him, which brings us to

2. Eddie Wade: but he is no longer with us. His crippling legacy remains, but the arrogant one is gone, and what is the point of expressing a no confidence vote in someone who has already been impeached, which brings us to his successor,

3. Pat Gillick: Gillick has not fired Manuel. That is inexplicable, so inexplicable that it seems clear that Pat is just a figurehead, fattening his pension but not making any decisions that would have any appreciable effect on this team. The Phillies have made no progress under his watch and will once again miss the playoffs this year. Gillick actually did allow himself to talk a few weeks ago when he criticized the middle of the batting lineup, but that was a charade to cover up a glaring weakness that PG had never addressed in the off season, the bullpen. However, even these transparently dishonest words were too much for the puppet master himself, which brings us to the guy who may be the most deserving of all for the no confidence vote,

4. Diaper Dave Montgomery: Montgomery apparently hauled Gillick's rear end into his office and spanked him for being so negative about the middle of the lineup. No soiled diapers on Dave's watch! Everything must be happy and wonderful in Phillieland. Here is your ultimate loser. As long as this pathetic puffball of putrescence runs this organization, it will go nowhere. It has gone nowhere since he arrived, is going nowhere today, and will continue to go nowhere as long as he remains. And as long as fans fill the seats of the ballpark, Montgomery will go nowhere else.

its probably not going to be a phillie by most philadelphia sports fans. the sixers are horrible and the flyers even worse.

Comment

It starts at the top. Montgomery is a buffoon. For him to criticize the GM for saying what needed to be said is just so typical of their acceptance of mediocrity it's disgusting.

This is recisely why I have not gone to that ballpark for the last two seasons and WILL not go again until the team is sold.

Comment

What about "Captain Alzheimers" Bill Giles? At the very least, he needs a gag order so he doesn't run his mouth.

I don't care much for Pat Gillick's tendency to bring in as many of his boys as possible to fill in gaps, but the success rate (outside of Barajas) has been pretty okay. Garcia is the only real black mark so far, but there's no reason to think he can't turn himself around.

Charlie is good for hitters, keeping him remotely in charge of pitching is a bad move because he can't recognize when guys lose "it" earlier than 110 pitches. But outside of Geary, he isn't going to destroy everyone's arms.

Hiring Gillick, regardless of the sometimes illogical moves, was a move in the right direction. As such, I think Montgomery deserves a bit of slack for realizing Wade wasn't doing the job. I'd love DePodesta to be GM, but Gillick can over time make a contender out of the Phillies. He doesn't tend to make dynasties, but they'll get a good run sooner or later.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but, when this group took over from the Carpenter family, wasn't Giles the 'baseball' guy and the others the 'money' guys?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken Giles was not the baseball or money guy. He was the president of the club. I think Paul Owens was still the GM. I'm not sure who the money guy was. Giles was more a marketing guy.

Comment

Manuel, Gillick or Montgomery....

That's a tough call. At this particular moment I'll go with Gillick. Last year he did a good job but in the off-season he did not upgrade the bullpen & failed to trade a starter. Then he told us guys like Barajas, Helms & Werth (who had a good game today) would be better than they've been. Plus we're still stuck with Pat Burrell & Shane Victorino should be in CF. Rowand has been hitting great but he gambles too much in CF. Maybe that's Manuel's fault.

I'll put Montgomery next because if he's deciding how much money to spend. The Phillies aren't as dumb as the Pirates who think if they don't spend any money, people will still come out to the ballpark. But they don't get it that winning in Philly brings out the fans, not mediocrity.

This may surprise people but I'll put Manuel third. He's actually done a decent job. He still isn't an upper echelon manager & he'll never win any games by his managing skills like the good ones do but he hasn't made any critical mistakes.

Wade is irrelevant at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Postblank View Post
                      Hiring Gillick, regardless of the sometimes illogical moves, was a move in the right direction. As such, I think Montgomery deserves a bit of slack for realizing Wade wasn't doing the job.
                      Your statment is akin to:

"The captain of the SS Titanic realized it was time to worry about the surrounding icebergs shortly after his ship listed and sank to the bottom of the frosty Atlantic."

Um, the point being us stupid fans called for Wade's head for four years to no avail. We're still paying for his woefully inept performance. The Phillies NEVER acknowledge errors in judgment and rectify them without agonizingly long periods of impending divorce. This goes for players as well. They NEVER EVER trade players coming off career years (at peak value) and almost ALWAYS trade them at the bottom of value and usually after publicly deriding them to further reduce their value. The exact opposite methodology of the Atlanta Braves. Hmm, wonder if that has anything to do wttih, nah....just stay "positive", it'll all be alright....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met View Post
                        Correct me if I'm wrong but, when this group took over from the Carpenter family, wasn't Giles the 'baseball' guy and the others the 'money' guys?
                        Giles really was the ringleader (as in circus acts). He was in charge of promotions more than anything else. And when the Carpenters sold out, and Giles lead the group that bought the team, it was very evident he was not a baseball man. Just look at the results.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X