Jason Werth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Werth

I'm starting to like this guy even more now. He reminds me of a more gracefull Richie Sexton. Manuel might want to find a way to put him in the line up more consistently.
    Last edited by ARISTOCRAT; 06-02-2007, 08:27 PM. Reason: wrong first name on sexton

If he gets used too much, his weaknesses will be exposed. The current platoon/spot start against lefties is plenty.

I can't stand when Werth plays for Victorino & Manuel inserts Werth into the #2 hole where Victorino usually hits. Werth is no Victorino so he should be lower in the batting order.

Comment

Werth has more power, and if you take a look back at the last few games, Jroll has gotten on with a double a few times and has been left on. That isn't just Vics fault. Werth did a good job tonight in the outfield and at the plate.

Comment

I mentioned in the other thread we need to see more Bourn. He's the future. He's possible trade bait for a pitcher. We know what Werth can do. He has no upside. What you see is what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by mwb View Post
          I mentioned in the other thread we need to see more Bourn. He's the future. He's possible trade bait for a pitcher. We know what Werth can do. He has no upside. What you see is what you get.
          Any specifics on why you aren't a fan of Werth?
          Bourn can't hit worth a lick, noone is going to want to trade for him until he can atleast earn a spot in the line up for something other than his speed.

Comment

Werth is not an everyday player. His weaknesses are exposed when he plays everyday. Not including tonight, he's batting .214 when he plays for Victorino in RF. That seems to be when I see him the most. He's a good PH, hitting .357.

Plus I don't know why he bats against RH pitchers. He's batting .200 against RHP with equal number of AB's against LHP & RHP.

I'd rather see Shane in there. If Werth could hit more HR's then that would offset the speed & defense of Shane. Kind of like what David Dellucci did last year. He would be a threat for hitting HR's as a PH or a spot starter, so he would be feared for something. I don't think he intimidates anyone. He's a contact hitter who hits singles.

Comment

Werth is not an everyday player. His weaknesses are exposed when he plays everyday. Not including tonight, he's batting .214 when he plays for Victorino in RF. That seems to be when I see him the most. He's a good PH, hitting .357.

Plus I don't know why he bats against RH pitchers. He's batting .200 against RHP with equal number of AB's against LHP & RHP.

I'd rather see Shane in there. If Werth could hit more HR's then that would offset the speed & defense of Shane. Kind of like what David Dellucci did last year. He would be a threat for hitting HR's as a PH or a spot starter, so he would be feared for something. I don't think he intimidates anyone. He's a contact hitter who hits singles.
              You keep speaking of weaknesses, yet you don't point any out. Werth has 55 at bats this year, Victorino has 201 at bats, yet they both have 3 home runs total. Werth when he came back from the injury this year went on a little power run, then he didn't get as much playing time, but tonight in a couple at bats he drove the ball deep to the opposite field, and I have a problem with calling a 6'5 guy just a contact hitter.
              All that being said, I think Vic should be an everyday player, but I would also like to see Werth start more, instead of starting for Vic, have him start for Burrell.
              Last edited by ARISTOCRAT; 06-02-2007, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Werth's best year offensively was 2004 when he played in only 89 games, he had 16 home runs and 45 rbi. That coincidently was the last healthy season he has had. 05 he got hit in spring training on the wrist and it has pretty much taken him until this season to get fully recovered. He showed the potential 3 years ago that he could hit for 30 hr's and 100 rbi, now that he is healthy, I think he should get a shot at doing what Burrell is getting paid so much money to do, yet only accomplishes every 3 years.

Comment

I think I gave you a couple of weaknesses. Low average when starting. Low average against RHP.

I agree that I would rather see Werth in LF occasionally against LHP if he has to start. Otherwise, I'd be happy with him as a pinch hitter against LHP.

Comment

Originally posted by ARISTOCRAT View Post
                    Werth's best year offensively was 2004 when he played in only 89 games, he had 16 home runs and 45 rbi. That coincidently was the last healthy season he has had. 05 he got hit in spring training on the wrist and it has pretty much taken him until this season to get fully recovered. He showed the potential 3 years ago that he could hit for 30 hr's and 100 rbi, now that he is healthy, I think he should get a shot at doing what Burrell is getting paid so much money to do, yet only accomplishes every 3 years.
                    I don't think Werth could get 30 HR/100 RBI in his dreams.

I think he's as good as he's going to be. Platoon player, pinch hitter with 15 HR & 50 RBI.

Comment

I think I gave you a couple of weaknesses. Low average when starting. Low average against RHP.

I agree that I would rather see Werth in LF occasionally against LHP if he has to start. Otherwise, I'd be happy with him as a pinch hitter against LHP.
                      mwb, Werth only has 55 at bats, not many of them are as a starter, there isn't enough data to down him for his stats so far this year, that is ridiculous, not to mention he hasn't been completely healthy this year until 2 weeks ago. What you should be looking at is his production the last year he was healthy, the same year he had 2 home runs in the post season for the Dodgers, and over .700 slugging percentage in the 4 games he played in that post season.

Comment

I don't think I want to judge a player based on a post season series.

In his last healthy season, 2005, he had 7 HR's in 337 AB's. One HR/50 AB's. He also had a .234 average. His best HR season was 2004 when he had 16 HR's in 290 AB. That one HR/20 AB's. He hit .262. But notice his production went down in 2005 from 2004. Not only did his overall numbers decline but his HR ratio & batting average declined. That shows me he is not getting better.

Now this year, he as 3 HR's in 55 AB's. One HR for every 20 AB's. That means he would have 25 HR's if he had 500 AB's. I'm not convinced he'll keep up that ratio but we'll see. He's also not hitting well against RHP. I'd be willing to try him against LHP in LF. He might hit over .300 with 15 HR's. But he'd be replacing a RH batter in Pat Burrell. The Phillies would have been better off getting a LH batter to platoon instead of getting Werth who is a RH batter like Burrell. Maybe the Phillies are hoping Werth will produce so they can trade Burrell after the season.

Comment

I don't really see where Shane Victorino got this reputation as a high-percentage hitter.

Comment

He's not too bad. I don't know if we should expect him to get much better.

He's the kind of hitter where I really don't recall him not getting a hit when it's needed or striking out too much. He seems steady but unspectacular.

But when I looked at his stats this year, he's hitting .274. He hits well with runners on base. & he hits better against RHP.

He's really not a #2 hitter but since Rollins doesn't get on base very often, Shane is like the backup leadoff hitter. I'd rather see him lead off since he's more inclined to steal a base when the Phillies decide they are going to steal bases that night.

Comment

I don't think I want to judge a player based on a post season series.

In his last healthy season, 2005, he had 7 HR's in 337 AB's. One HR/50 AB's. He also had a .234 average. His best HR season was 2004 when he had 16 HR's in 290 AB. That one HR/20 AB's. He hit .262. But notice his production went down in 2005 from 2004. Not only did his overall numbers decline but his HR ratio & batting average declined. That shows me he is not getting better.

Now this year, he as 3 HR's in 55 AB's. One HR for every 20 AB's. That means he would have 25 HR's if he had 500 AB's. I'm not convinced he'll keep up that ratio but we'll see. He's also not hitting well against RHP. I'd be willing to try him against LHP in LF. He might hit over .300 with 15 HR's. But he'd be replacing a RH batter in Pat Burrell. The Phillies would have been better off getting a LH batter to platoon instead of getting Werth who is a RH batter like Burrell. Maybe the Phillies are hoping Werth will produce so they can trade Burrell after the season.
                              Wrong again mwb, in spring training before the '05 season he was hit by a pitch on the wrist. His last healthy season was '04, in '05 he did show how tough he was by playing through a wrist injury, and that is why his power number decreases. Do your research before posting my friend. I'm not asking you to judge him just on his 4 game post season career, take that into consideration along with his 04 numbers. Now that he is healthy, he deserves a shot in my eyes.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X