Jason Werth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mwb View Post
    He's not too bad. I don't know if we should expect him to get much better.

He's the kind of hitter where I really don't recall him not getting a hit when it's needed or striking out too much. He seems steady but unspectacular.

But when I looked at his stats this year, he's hitting .274. He hits well with runners on base. & he hits better against RHP.

He's really not a #2 hitter but since Rollins doesn't get on base very often, Shane is like the backup leadoff hitter. I'd rather see him lead off since he's more inclined to steal a base when the Phillies decide they are going to steal bases that night.
    Vic hadn't come through at the plate since his last home run, he failed to move Jroll over a couple of times last week after leadoff doubles from Jroll, that is why Werth got his shot in the two hole and in right field. I think Vic is still young and will eventually get more consistent at the plate, he should be in right field or center every day based on his speed and arm.
    Last edited by ARISTOCRAT; 06-03-2007, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Werth may deserve a shot but it probably won't happen in Philly unless he plays LF & I don't see that happening. I wouldn't sit Rowand or Victorino. I'd be happy to give him a chance if there was an injury to a starting OF. But you might get your wish next year if the team gets rid of Burrell. Werth has done just enough to get at least a chance to compete for a starting job if Burrell is traded.

I don't think Werth has proven he is anything more than a part-time player whether due to injuries or the fact he's not consistent enough or just not good enough to take someone's starting spot. The year he played 102 games, he only hit .234 with 7 HRs.

Comment

Werth may deserve a shot but it probably won't happen in Philly unless he plays LF & I don't see that happening. I wouldn't sit Rowand or Victorino. I'd be happy to give him a chance if there was an injury to a starting OF. But you might get your wish next year if the team gets rid of Burrell. Werth has done just enough to get at least a chance to compete for a starting job if Burrell is traded.

I don't think Werth has proven he is anything more than a part-time player whether due to injuries or the fact he's not consistent enough or just not good enough to take someone's starting spot. The year he played 102 games, he only hit .234 with 7 HRs.
        mwb, that is the same year that he played with a wrist injury. What don't you understand about that?

Comment

I'd like to see Werth pinch hit for Burrell, hit the game winning home run, and take his spot in the lineup tommorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ARISTOCRAT View Post
            Werth's best year offensively was 2004 when he played in only 89 games, he had 16 home runs and 45 rbi. That coincidently was the last healthy season he has had. 05 he got hit in spring training on the wrist and it has pretty much taken him until this season to get fully recovered. He showed the potential 3 years ago that he could hit for 30 hr's and 100 rbi, now that he is healthy, I think he should get a shot at doing what Burrell is getting paid so much money to do, yet only accomplishes every 3 years.
            shot out to aristocrat

Comment

Re-evaluating Jayson Werth

Werth is not an everyday player.
              You're right, Werth is not (merely) an everyday player. He's an all-star.

(Werth was Named today to replace the injured Carlos Beltran (NY Mets) on the National League's all-star roster.)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X