Would you trade Kyle Kendrick??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you trade Kyle Kendrick??

Kendrick has done a fine job this season. Since pitching is in demand, is now the time to trade him? The Phillies could get a nice bunch of players from a team looking for young pitchers.

I'd rather see them trade him instead of keep him & watching the league possibly catch up to him. Not every good young pitcher is destined for the hall of fame. The Phillies have had a boatload of young star pitchers that ended up fizzling out by their second or third year.

I can never answer a question like this without knowing what we're getting in return. You certainly don't want to trade him for a bunch of broken fungo bats or its equivalent in players. If you can get a HOF caliber player who'll be with you for at least five years in his prime, of course you make the trade, but Ed Wade isn't a GM right now. If you think you can get better value, I'd sure consider it, but otherwise, I'd keep him.

Jim Albright
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Keep him. we need good youing pitching as much as anyone else (in case you haven't noticed). Lets keep him and watch him mature.

Greg

Comment

Before Cole Hamels, who was the last Phillies pitcher to come up through the system & become a solid major league pitcher??

Comment

I think that Kendrick has done a great job this season. Not bad from a kid who started it out in Class A Lakewood.
          Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Originally posted by mwb View Post
            Before Cole Hamels, who was the last Phillies pitcher to come up through the system & become a solid major league pitcher??
            That focuses on a weakness over the years of the organization to be sure. However, can we assume this group will fall prey to the same weakness? Moreover, and more importantly, is Kendrick physically and mentally tough enough to grow into that solid major league starter role? If you think he is, he's a rare commodity that I'd only trade for some really high value. If not, then your question is sensible. From the mental side, he seems to have his head screwed on straight and pitching intelligently, unlike somebody like Padilla, who had the multimillion dollar arm and a head whose value could be measured in pocket change. If that's an accurate read, then the question is his physical ability to keep pitching 175-200 innings a year. It's hard for me to evaluate that, but absent prior arm problems or poor training habits, I'd be inclined to take my chances. If either of those exist, I'd have to consider the evidence available.

Jim Albright
            A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Even in the past ten years, there hasn't been a solid starter groomed by the Phillies organization other than Cole Hamels. That may be more of a case of the Phillies not being able to screw up Hamels.

I like Kendrick but at 4-0, he's almost at his peak for this season. I don't know if he'll maintain the high level he's performing at right now. It's far from a sure thing he'll continue at this level. I'd be curious what it would realistically take for Phillies fans to be willing to part with him. It would probably take a package of Kendrick & Rowand to get possibly a #3 or #4 starter who keep the ball in the park & a reliever & a RH power bat.

I don't know how much interest there is in him around MLB but if the Phillies made him available, which they probably haven't, they might get some takers. I hope they don't keep him just for the sake of calling him the next pitching phenom or making him the #2 behind Hamels so the fans will gobble up season tickets before next season while allowing the team to maintain a "low" payroll (which is their dream).

Comment

If there's reason to doubt Kendrick's mental approach to pitching (think Gavin Floyd), I haven't seen it. I'm not aware of any reason to doubt his ability to physically handle being a #3 or #4 starter--which means I'd take the low salary and use the money I saved to try and induce a #2 starter to come to Philly unless there was a truly significant increase in power and production in the Rowand/Kendrick scenario you outlined. Of course, the Phillies being the Phillies might just pocket the money, which would be a problem. The Phillies' offense isn't the main problem, especially in terms of creating a team that actually has a chance of winning it all. That being the case, if Kendrick is a legitimate chance at providing some much needed pitching, it's hard for me to trade him unless somebody seriously overpays for him.

I guess it comes down to the idea the Phils need pitching, and if he's a legitimate guy in the rotation, the only way I'd trade him is if someone seriously overpays for him. If he's not what he appears, then it's easier to get folks to overpay, and far easier to trade him. I'm looking at this one case--and I can understand skepticism of the Phillie line. But what do you see?

If I'm the GM and I don't trust how pitching is developed within the organization, some heads need to roll. If I do, I keep the pitchers my information tells me have a real shot at filling a desperate need on my club unless I get even better pitchers from somewhere or get somebody to seriously overpay in another way.

Jim Albright

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X