Burrell's 200th Home Run/his standing with the Phillies andtheir fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrell's 200th Home Run/his standing with the Phillies andtheir fans

It was good to see Pat Burrell become only the seventh player to hit 200 home runs as a Phillie when he homered against the Dodgers last night (7/17/07). With trade rumors swirling, he might easily have been gone to another team before he had the chance to reach that milestone.
    Despite a low career average in the .250s, Burrell has provided power in his eight years with the Phillies (although overshadowed by Jim Thome and Ryan Howard). He's been a Mets-Killer, which is important, because they have been the Phils' chief rival, next to the Braves during Burrell's tenure.
    Although he never became an all-star, and despite the fact that a hotter-hitting Burrell would have provided more protection in the lineup for Howard, I'm not a Burrell basher. He also has a reputation as a playboy, but on the field, the guy has done and tried his best, despite a number of injuries.
    philliesfiend55

I'm not big on bashing him for liking the nightlife. But, the guy at the very least doesn't learn from his mistakes. How many times have we seen him watch that outside breaking ball cross the plate for a strike? It's something all of baseball has caught on to, and that's why he's producing so poorly for such a highly paid player. The Phillies, with their supposed "need" to stay on a budget, wring their hands over his high salary and count his salary as though it's buying something productive, which of course, it isn't. That makes him a target, and, given the money he's getting, it's not terribly unfair. Few people outside of politics could produce so poorly and retain their jobs.

Jim Albright
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

j. alb.:
      If Burrell must be dealt maybe a trade to the Angels might be in order. The Angels have plenty of prospects and they have plenty of tablesetters (Cabrera, Kotchman, Figgins, Howie Kendrick, a declining Garrett Andderson , who was once a star but now is only a secondary player or table setter). As Tim McCarver said on the 7/7/07 Saturday's Fox game between the Angels and Yankees, "The Angels are one big bat, one big bopper away from becoming a great team". So maybe we trade Burrell for one table setter or one prospect, or maybe one of each, and Burrell gets rejuvenated out on the West Coast in a trade that helps both teams.

Comment

more on Pat

j.alb.:
        I did a quick check on mlb.com on Burrell's stats. He's almost exactly at the averaging one strikeout per game mark with 1078 K's in 1080 games. Whether he hits for a good average (.280s, twice) or a terrible one his strikeouts remain close to that one K per game average (162Ks in 155 games was his highest season total). He's had more strikeouts than games played in four of his eight seasons. Another negative Burrell stat is that he has only 208 doubles to go along with his 200 home runs, which is extremely low. As posters have described in another current thread "Burrell runs like he's running in a blizzard" - he's not the fleetest afoot player that's ever played for Philadelphia, including the Phillies, the Athletics and all of those teams' 19th Century predecessors.

Comment

He's had precisely one year since 2002 when you could argue he's been more than an average corner OF. which would be 2005. Even then a 125 OPS+ isn't overwhelming at LF with his defense. It's the only year since 2002 he's hit over .258. I expect a heck of a lot more than that from a guy with his contract, and I think rightfully so. He looked so promising after 2002, but the last 4+ years have greatly tarnished that promise, so much so that it seems the only way the Phillies can get rid of him is for a bag of batting practice balls while paying 90% of his salary to boot.

Jim Albright
          Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
          Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Even if Burrell was making $1 million per year, he'd be stealing money. He's was batting .201 two weeks ago with fewer HR's than Rollins, Utley & Howard. The only thing he does well is take walks. Otherwise, he's horrible.

At this point, Phillies fans know he's not going anywhere so they don't really even bother booing him any more. Most fans are indifferent these days.

Comment

If we trade him to the Colorado Rockies for, say, a second water cooler for the home dugout, I'm thinking we've come out ahead.

He never, ever figures in contributions towards success. That really means more than numbers alone.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X