No announcement yet.

How Much Would You Have Bet Against....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Would You Have Bet Against....

...Pat Burrell getting to 30 HRs, 100 RBIs and, okay, .265, at ANY time in the last year prior to say a month ago? The Vegas line would have probably been around 4 gazillion to 1 when he was at .202, what 6 HRs, and 35 RBIs in early July!

I don't think I've ever seen a less expected career turnaround happen in ANY sport in my lifetime!

Burrell has the luxury of playing in a bandbox. Other than the Phillies fans' frustration with Burrell over unrealized potential he has had a nice career.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
      Burrell has the luxury of playing in a bandbox. Other than the Phillies fans' frustration with Burrell over unrealized potential he has had a nice career.
      This notion that This ballpark somehow gives hitters an advantage compard to other parks of THIS era is way off base and the numbers will bear that out, even though the numbers are highly dependent on the relative pitching staffs. Burrell has turned himself around, ballpark or no ballpark. And without looking, I'll bet the numbers from 7/2 to today aren't much different home and away.

Comment

I didn't expect him to have more than a short hot streak. I would have guessed he might get the average up to .230, maybe 20 HR on the year, and maybe 80 RBI on the year. He's done much better than that, and he deserves credit for it. If only the Phils had some pitching which was consistent at something other than being a) bad, b) injured, or c) inconsistent, they could be dangerous. . . .

Jim Albright
        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

If you asked me on 7/2 what his final numbers would be I'd have bet on something like .196, 13 & 50 because he looked like a deer in the headlights, and it wasn't the first time, obviously

Unfortunately, this tretch is probably gonna convince the dimwits running this club what a star he really is and so we've probably not seen the last of him.... Maybe Ruben can lure him to the west end of PA....

Comment

Just to be clear, I would have figured he'd improve some, and the numbers I quoted would be upper levels of what I would have expected of him at season's end. Whether they're convinced about him, the contract he has is the issue--will anyone step up and take enough of it (plus offer some serviceable player) to entice the Phils into moving him? My guess is there won't be. The way he's finishing the season, though, I might be wrong.

If there's not sufficient interest in Burrell, there's little option but to try and get something out of him, though you might pull the plug on him quicker in a slow start than they seem to have been willing to let Charlie do. Let's face it, if he hits like he has since the All-Star break, he can help the team, though whether he's worth the salary he's getting is at least debatable. If you can't get much for him and still have to eat a lot of his salary, staying the course might be best.

Jim Albright
            A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

The Phillies don't eat contracts.... What's he got one year left?

Comment

I've lost track, as Burrell's seemed to be here playing mediocre at best ball while drawing an All-Star salary forever.

Comment

Originally posted by johncap View Post
                  The Phillies don't eat contracts.... What's he got one year left?
                  Pat's Contract...or what's left of it.

07:$13M 08:$14M
                  FYI: Full No-Trade Clause
                  "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

The problem is how much do you trust management to find a suitable replacement?

Comment

Right now, I'm more occupied with them finding someone to replace the Tom Gordons. That's the real problem.

Comment

Well you do have Myers but I'm not convinced he has the makeup to be a closer. I'd probably put him back in the rotation next year and see what else I could find out there for the closer role.

Comment

You're absolutely right.

This bullpen has its work cut out. Big time.

Comment

I wish I would've bet on the Phils winning the East, if they took bets in September.
                            (fantasy football)
                            JM: Only did that for a couple of years and then we had a conspiracy so it kind of turned me sour. Our league's commissioner, Lew Ford(notes) at the time, was doing some shady things that ... I'd rather not talk about [laughs].
                            DB: Isn't he in Japan right now?
                            JM: I don't know where Lou is right now. He's probably fleeing the authorities [laughs].

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X