Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie Manuel deserves a new contract

He's done a heck of a job this season.
    Blogging about the New York Mets and their farm teams at metbaseball and about baseball in general at writerhoward.com.

This Tribe fan is rooting for ya. The man got ZERO respect in Cleveland, despite doing a fine job in his two managerial seasons here.

You all realize, of course, that should you win the division, the story will ALWAYS be how "the Mets choked", not how the Phillies won.

Kinda makes up for '64. Maybe. A lil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytown Tribe fan View Post
      This Tribe fan is rooting for ya. The man got ZERO respect in Cleveland, despite doing a fine job in his two managerial seasons here.

You all realize, of course, that should you win the division, the story will ALWAYS be how "the Mets choked", not how the Phillies won.

Kinda makes up for '64. Maybe. A lil.
      Charlie taken a lot of crap in this town too, especially from a radio host with the initials H.E. In Philly, the big story will be about the Phils, not the Mets; however, in the Big Apple and probably the rest of the nation, the Mets will be the big story. They'll never live this one down.
      Blogging about the New York Mets and their farm teams at metbaseball and about baseball in general at writerhoward.com.

Comment

I'm not being a glass half-empty guy, only a realist. Let's finish this off now that we've gotten here, then we can talk about having won.

That said, I do agree that Manuel has earned an extension. He's not a great tactician, but I think that's overrated. One thing he has done well in Philly (at least) is, except for a series of terribly slow starts (which have hurt a lot), he's kept guys focused on the goal and done a solid job of keeping them moving in that direction, no matter the injuries or whatever. The consistent slow starts are a concern, but with what he's had to work with, the rest of the package is enough to make me think he's earned the chance to return.

Jim Albright
        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

You've nailed it, jalbright. Wedge gets some grief in C-town as well, especially for using his worst reliever as his closer. But he has kept the club pointed toward the goal line and is on such an even keel you really can't tell the game result based on his interview.

Losing a heartbreaker or winning the division clincher -- he sounds just the same after the game.

Perhaps Bill James said it best: the one thing a successful manager MUST do is have the respect of his players. Everything else is negotiable.

Cholly has, um, issues with the English language, but he clearly is communicating with his players. Nothing else matters.

Comment

There's allot better managers than Manual out there. This year's Phillies look good on paper and were the popular pre-season pick. I still think the Phillies underperformed much of the season. Not that the Phillies are playing bad now and don't deserve to win but, if the Phillies do win the division, it IS because the Mets choked the last few weeks.
            In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Originally posted by HDH View Post
              There's allot better managers than Manual out there. This year's Phillies look good on paper and were the popular pre-season pick. I still think the Phillies underperformed much of the season. Not that the Phillies are playing bad now and don't deserve to win but, if the Phillies do win the division, it IS because the Mets choked the last few weeks.
              What makes you say that the Phillies "underperformed much of the season"? I watched a number of their games and never saw that.

Comment

IF I were Bill Giles Charlie would get a lifetime job.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far. Unless you're talking about the second coming of someone as successful as Connie Mack, I'm not too thrilled with the lifetime bit, unless you know exactly how long Charlie's going to live. Even with Mack, he had an ugly last 17 years, though a lot of that was financially induced. Charlie's earned another 2 years, at least, IMHO.
                  A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

If I am the GM I am very leery of giving Manuel an extension unless it is just for a year. Manuel does not enjoy popular support amongst the fan base or the media. When the Phils go through their next rough patch these groups will be howling for blood.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

With Gillick announcing next year is his last it becomes a tenuous situation for Manuel. Not that Ruben Amaro will be any less spineless than his two predecessors, but generally a new GM gets to name a manager, except of course if the incumbent is secure. Does Gillick and this bumbling band of thieves (management) extend Manuel based on this season when, at BEST, he was out of here next year regardless. I don't know. They never do here what should be done, always what is cheapest. Charlie probably is that.

I MUST admit that Charlie did a helluva job keeping this team loose and together. Exhibit A is Pat Burrell.

Manuel is still the WORST technical field manager I've ever seen, short of Andy Reid and Rich Kotite on the long field. So, maybe we go back in MLB history and have co-Managers. One to run the team and handle the personalities, and one to handle Xs and Os....

Never happen, would cost more money.... Fact is in the Danny Ozark era, The Wizard of Oze was perfect for that young developing, insecure team, but hit the ceiling as the team matured. I sense that Charlie may be similar in that he was great handling the tenuous psyches of a team transitioning from the likes of Bobby Abreu to the kids now entrenched. I don't see how they can continue to give up 5-10 games a year on strategic blunders as they get better and better (assuming someone figures out how to bring in some pitching). Alas, this management team probably doesn't know much less than Charlie about how to design a double switch.

Charlie's granted a two year extension. That's my prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by Judway View Post
                        IF I were Bill Giles Charlie would get a lifetime job.
                        Yea, well, that's the way they do things.

Giles isn't running the ship any longer, BTW. The new Captain Bligh has his silver balls in his hands.

Comment

Originally posted by johncap View Post
                          Yea, well, that's the way they do things.

Giles isn't running the ship any longer, BTW. The new Captain Bligh has his silver balls in his hands.
                          Are you sure you don't mean Captain Queeg of the Caine Mutiny with the steel balls?

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                            Are you sure you don't mean Captain Queeg of the Caine Mutiny with the steel balls?
                            Sorry, mixed metaphors.... Yes, Bogart's Captain Queeg was who I was thinking of at that moment.

Comment

Originally posted by writerhoward View Post
                              What makes you say that the Phillies "underperformed much of the season"? I watched a number of their games and never saw that.
                              As late as July 19, the Phillies were under.500. Considering that they were a pre-season favorite, I think that is under-achieving. The overall record of 89 wins isn't what I would call outstanding. If the Mets don't choke, the Phillies tie with Col and SD for wild card playoff.
                              In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X