Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Phillies Fell Out of contention.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    Cesar Hernandez hit a career high 15 home runs, but his batting average sunk to .253. They needed more production and a higher OBP from him at the top of the lineup and for him to hit closer to his average of the past three years of about .285 (He led the team in Hits at least twice).. Sad to say Cesar may be gone this offseason, like Freddy Galvis was sent packing last winter. Too bad , I really LIKE WHAT CESAR BRINGS TO THE TEAM. GALVIS UNTIL LAST YEAR'S TRADE AND NOW Hernandez had never known any organization other than the Phillies.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post

This is what I have been saying all year. Klentak has been here three years and has only made one okay trade, the Ramos deal. His failure to land Machado sent this team into it's freefall. His free agent signings of Santana and Arrietta were busts. Hands Kingery that huge contract before he ever played a single major league game. Time for John Middleton to pink slip MacPhail, Klentak and Kapler.
    Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post

Klentak & Kapler also handed the everyday shortstop job to Crawford for which he was not ready. He hit only .240 to .245 in AAA in 2017 and that was not a good indication that he would be able to handle the tougher pitching in the big leagues.
    I don't think Crawford was ever going to "be ready." Unless you mean in the sense that him playing hurt the team. Which of course it did. But I don't think it stunted his development. If that's what you meant. They kind of had to bring him up. He was a top pick that the organization was touting and he was dropping down the top prospects list year by year. Get the failure out of the way and move on. Plus if the club doesn't bring him up and he ends up being a real player they look terrible. I'm willing to wait and see on Kingery but he doesn't seem like he's ever going to be much with the bat. I don't think Santana and Arrieta were bad signings, yet. Santana was pretty much the same guy he always was. Arrieta didn't live up to expectations. But there are more seasons to come so we'll see. In my opinion if they would have acquired Machado they would have made the playoffs. Who knows what they plan on doing in free agency though. Didn't the owner or GM or somebody say the club had a "war chest" of cash to spend in free agency?

All-in-all the Phillies were contenders most of the season which was far better than anyone expected. I'd give more credit for the season to Kapler before Klentak. Kapler definitely had some growing pains. I don't like the Captain Hook mentality at all. It's pretty common now but I think he's even on the extreme side. There could be data to prove me wrong if anyone cares to find it. I think the players like him and he is good at putting a line up together. In the end managing the pitching staff and bullpen is always going to be his weak spot. This why clubs like former catchers. They have expertise with hitting and how to handle pitchers. Again, I think it's too early to give anyone a pink slip. I think they need 2-3 more years to make the playoffs and then it's time to move on.
    Last edited by bluesky5; 09-30-2018, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied

This is what I have been saying all year. Klentak has been here three years and has only made one okay trade, the Ramos deal. His failure to land Machado sent this team into it's freefall. His free agent signings of Santana and Arrietta were busts. Hands Kingery that huge contract before he ever played a single major league game. Time for John Middleton to pink slip MacPhail, Klentak and Kapler.
    Since it was only Kapler's first year managing the Phillies or managing anywhere in the majors in the majors , he will get a pass and will be retained in 2019.

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied

Klentak & Kapler also handed the everyday shortstop job to Crawford for which he was not ready. He hit only .240 to .245 in AAA in 2017 and that was not a good indication that he would be able to handle the tougher pitching in the big leagues.

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    Sept. 27: Afternoon game loss to the Colorado Rockies "clinches" another non-winning season for the Phillies, their seventh in a row. In the final series against the Braves the 78-81 Phils would have to sweep Atlanta just to reach .500. They finished exactly at .500 in 2012 and have had losing seasons since then.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 09-28-2018, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Jeltz
    replied
    Originally posted by Phils V. Pirates View Post
    And "closer by committee" does not ever work.
    And going into the shift too frequently can end up costing you more runs than it saves.
    And, if you are going to rely on analytics, you might want to finish college first so that you understand what the statistics are actually telling you.

However, while hitting is a problem, that is a league-wide disorder. Batting average for MLB is .248 compared to the Phils .236, so we are a little lower, but OBP is about league average (.318 for MLB; .315 for the Phils). A new hitting coach probably won't fix that--it needs to get fixed down in the minors before the players get into bad habits. The young players need to be taught that striking out is Not Acceptable, no matter how many homers you hit.
    Striking out is a league wide epidemic that isn't just reserved for the Phillies. There aren't many teams left that can work counts, it's either home run or strikeout.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Jeltz
    replied
    Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post

GM Klentak and MGR Kapler were big failures when it counted in my opinion!

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    Originally posted by Phils V. Pirates View Post
    And going into the shift too frequently can end up costing you more runs than it saves.
    And, if you are going to rely on analytics, you might want to finish college first so that you understand what the statistics are actually telling you.

However, while hitting is a problem, that is a league-wide disorder. Batting average for MLB is .248 compared to the Phils .236, so we are a little lower, but OBP is about league average (.318 for MLB; .315 for the Phils). A new hitting coach probably won't fix that--it needs to get fixed down in the minors before the players get into bad habits. The young players need to be taught that striking out is Not Acceptable, no matter how many homers you hit.
    GM Klentak and MGR Kapler were big failures when it counted in my opinion!

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    What happened to the Phillies hitting? I'm sure the final statistics WILL PROVE THAT THE PHILLIES WERE THE MOST "PUNCHLESS" TEAM OF THE FINALTHIRD OF THE SEASON. In the final 54 games the Phillies were Just as bad or worse than any last-place division team that you can name.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 09-27-2018, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Phils V. Pirates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    started a topic Why the Phillies Fell Out of contention.

Why the Phillies Fell Out of contention.

Phillies have played .333 ball since August 6 (15-30), falling out of contention and towards .500 (possibly to finish under .500). Usually I'm not one to bad mouth the Phillies very often but when they fell to .500 on the year (78-78) yesterday, it was too much to take, so let me blow off a little steam here!

Reasons:

neophyte manager, Gabe Kapler was too inexperienced to stop the losing streaks.
    Rookies Kingery and Crawford thrust into prominent roles - - weren't ready for it.
    Too much platooning - pick a starter and pick a back up, but alternating using Altherr and Williams at one outfield spot, Alfaro,and Knapp and later Ramos at catcher, , Kingery, Franco, Cabrera and Crawford sharing two infield positions leaves no one happy.
    High-Priced winter Free Agent signing of Santana at 1B was primarily a bust.....A very overpriced F.A. signing and I bet they could have got him for a lot less.
    Later acquisitions like Avilan, Bour, Loup, Batista and others did not help much.
    Not much talent was added at the trade Deadline.
    Under .500 starters Pivetta and Velasquez must perform better for this to be a winning team.
    Hitting problems - too many strikeouts, shut outs and low run production games. - Need a new hitting coach.
    Season Long chronic, Fielding Problems.
    As good as Hoskins is he needs to strike out less , put the ball in play more often and add about 25 points to his batting average.
    Non-40 Man roster pitcher, Cole Irvin should have been in the majors by early August the way he dominated AAA, but the GM did not want to bring him up and have to release someone from the 40 man roster....a poor choice. Certainly some marginal player could have been let go make room for Irvin.
    2 or 3 mediocre relievers deserve to vanish from the roster this winter.
    The 2018 Phillies Hitters set the franchise record for Strikeouts......making contact more often to put the ball in play is desperately needed .
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 10-07-2018, 01:46 PM.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X