Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-2019 Phillies Off- Season News, Speculation, Rumors & Commentary.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philadelphia Phillies Retro Cap Returns as Alternate in 2019
    http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/01/...rnate-in-2019/
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I always loved that logo! I'm not much for buying baseball gear, but I'd certainly pick up that cap!
      "You can hate a man for many reasons. Color is not one one of them."--Pee Wee Reese

Comment

March 8: Happy 77th birthday to Richie 'Dick' Allen. 1964 NL Rookie Of the Year, 1972 American League MVP and hopefully Class Of 2021 Baseball Hall Of Famer (Allen missed being elected to the HOF by one vote at his last Veterans Committee Era's election in December 2014).
        Last edited by philliesfiend55; 03-08-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

March 13: The Phillies scored a run in the top of the 9th inning to force a tie with the Yankees at their Yankees' Spring Training home, Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, Florida.

Comment

The Phillies play the last of their Split Squad games today. They play two on the road today - visiting both the Tampa Bay Rays in Port Charlotte and the :Pittsburgh Pirates in Bradenton . The Phillies had their last off-day two days ago on Tuesday March 12. Now they start an 11 game stretch of single games on consecutive days between March 15 and march 25, which will wind up the Spring Training Exhibitions Game Schedule, in preparation for their March 28 Opening Day game, where they will host the Atlanta Braves at 3:05 P.M on Thursday, March 28. 7 of their remaining 11 Spring Training games are at home, including their spring training Finale where they host the Tampa Bay Rays on the afternoon of March 25. The new season is quickly approaching!.

Comment

It appears that no rookies are going to be "Going North" wioth the Phillies when Spring Training ends. What is interesting is that Phil Gosselin, a non-roster Spring Training Invitee 2B/3B has apparently made the team and he will be added to the 25-Man Roster at the end of Spring Training. Gosselin will be very likely open the season with the Phillies as a Utility Infielder after having had a great Spring at Clearwater. Through March 14 Gosselin has hit .407, with Power. It always is a nice story when a "Long Shot" defies expectations and "Makes Good".
              Last edited by philliesfiend55; 03-14-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                Philadelphia Phillies Retro Cap Returns as Alternate in 2019
                http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/01/...rnate-in-2019/
                If you look at the photo of the two retro caps side-by-side I actually prefer the one one the left which is mostly blue. but has a red bill. It is from their Post-World War Two Era ()1946-1949) period. They used a slightly awkward appearing uniform shirt in 1946, but they corrected that look in better uniform in 1947 through 1949 that used some blue in the uniform lettering, with the shirts and pants, not just white but a creamy white that may have been sort of a copy of the Brooklyn Dodgers cream colored home uniforms This look has been the Phillies alternate look for Home Day Games (Not including the Post-Season) since 2008 and it may have been a bit of a good luck charm because the first year they started to use this look with a lot of blue in the cap, the Phillies won the World Series and the next yea of 2009 , the Phils were the National League champions and they at least got to another World Series. This 1946-1949 look was used throughout 1950's Spring Training until on Opening Day 1950 the Phillies broke from the tradition of teams using mostly Blue, Royal Blue, Navy Blue and Black in their caps and uniforms when they "sprang upon the baseball world" (nice use of an old cliché, No?) the very untradional new uniform look of the red pinstripes, red lettering and numbers and scarlett red caps, a move that definitely caused some shock waves and "cast some ripples upon the waters" to traditional uniforms (How's that for a using an old Cliché). Jackie Mayo, a Phillies reserve outfielder was said to be the only Phillies player who knew the change was coming, since he was selected to model the new-look uniform, because he was the consensus, "handsomest man on the Phillies roster". "The new uniforms were issued on Opening Day 1950 and not even the team's stars like Robin Roberts, Richie Ashburn, Del Ennis, Granny Hamner, Dick Sisler, Andy Seminick, Curt Simmons, and Willie 'Puddin' Head" Jones knew the uniform and cap change was coming since he was selected to model the new uniform and cap. He was selected as a model, because among female Phillies fans and the womeh who worked for the Phillies front office, Mayo was the consensus pick as the handsomest man on the Phillies roster. Only Jackie Mayo knew.the uniform and caps change was coming for Opening Day 1950, (4/18/50).

That said the throwback cap to the 1970s is pretty cool and something I wouldn't mind owning someday. There was a period there in the 1980s that I didn't particularly where they kept the same fancy, scripted white logo on the caps, but the basic color of the cap and the uniforms had morphed from a bright Scarlett Red into a more subdued Maroon.
                That's all I have to say on the subject. I actually have two caps from the 1946-1949, blue caps with red bills, but if you prefer the new scarlett cap from New Era, and you have the cash then "Go For It". We are talking about some nice caps and unis, but they are actually retro designs. As the old expressions go "What goes around comes around.', There is really "Nothing New Under The Sun" and "Everything Old Is New Again".

Comment

Why would they wear that maroon hat with their current uniform set? Those 1970's-80's uniforms are hideous.
                  "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                    Why would they wear that maroon hat with their current uniform set? Those 1970's-80's uniforms are hideous.
                    I was never a fan of the Maroon look.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X