Greatest Phillies Player Poll 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Phillies Player Poll 4

It was a thrilling race for the #2 spot, with Grover Cleveland Alexander and Steve Carlton finishing in a tie, then Alexander edging Carlton out in the tie-breaker vote.

We now move on to the #4 spot on the list of All-Time Greatest Phillies. Who will it be? Roberts? Ashburn? Klein? Delahanty? Will another candidate start collecting some votes?

This poll will be open for three days, vote early to make sure you don't miss your chance!
    Bobby Abreu (1998-2006)
    0.00%
    Dick Allen (1963-1969, 1975-1976)
    0.00%
    Richie Ashburn (1948-1959)
    30.77%
    Jim Bunning (1964-1968, 1970-71)
    15.38%
    Johnny Callison (1960-1969)
    0.00%
    Ed Delahanty (1888-1889, 1891-1901)
    15.38%
    Del Ennis (1946-1956)
    0.00%
    Billy Hamilton (1890-1895)
    0.00%
    Chuck Klein (1928-1933, 1936-1939, 1940-1944)
    0.00%
    Nap Lajoie (1896-1900)
    7.69%
    Greg Luzinski (1970-1980)
    0.00%
    Tug McGraw (1975-1984)
    0.00%
    Robin Roberts (1948-1961)
    30.77%
    Jimmy Rollins (2000-present)
    0.00%
    Sam Thompson (1889-1898)
    0.00%
    Other (please specify)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

And also, remember, you are voting for who was the greatest as a Phillie.

So far, our list of the All-Time Greatest Phils is:

1) Mike Schmidt (3B, 1972-1989)
    2) Grover Cleveland Alexander (SP, 1911-1917, 1930)
    3) Steve Carlton (SP, 1972-1986)
    4) ???

Comment

Gotta be Roberts!

Next up: Del Ennis, the Phillies OFFENSE from 1946 - 1956!

Comment

Delahanty for me.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

It just occured to me that I'd forgoten to put Gavvy Cravath on the ballot yet.

No harm because he wouldn't be getting too many top 4 votes, but I think he should rank better than some of the names already on the list. He'll be included starting the next round.

Comment

Klein was the best we had for about 15 years

Where are the baseball historians among our voters? No respect for Chuck Klein and other players from yesteryear. Doesn't 300 home runs and a .320 career average get you any attention? I voted for Robin Roberts in the current (#4) poll, but Klein is my definite pick for #5.

Comment

That Chuck Klein was a helluva player goes without saying. His stats are pretty awesome.

Keep in mind, however, that the NL LEAGUE AVERAGE in the late 1920s/early 1930s was right around .300. And that the Phillies ballpark at the time was a bandbox. His stats, taken in that context, aren't quite as fabulous as they look at first glance.

Should he place somewhere in the Phillies Top 10? Entirely possible. But in the Top 5, let's say?

That might be stretching it a bit.......

Comment

We've got another tie - Richie Ashburn and Robin Roberts getting 4 votes each!

That means the next round will be a tiebreaker to place them #4 and 5, just like we did for Alexander and Carlton for 2 and 3.

New thread coming up!

Comment

Delehanty might come in at #6, but apparently there's support for Jim Bunning already too! I thought he wouldn't see votes for a couple more rounds.

I'll expand the ballot for the Round 6 voting to 20 names, try and get a few more pitchers in there. This round had 15 names, and Roberts and Ashburn are going off, so that means I'll add 7 players. I'd love to get some suggestions on who should be added as we go along.

Rough draft of my 7 additional players:

Larry Bowa
                  Gavvy Cravath
                  Sherry Magee
                  Curt Schilling
                  Chris Short
                  Curt Simmons

Well 6 anyway, I'm still working on it. One question that I'm not sure about yet is when to introduce Ryan Howard and Chase Utley onto the ballot. Between them, they've had some of the most impressive seasons in Phillies history already, but neither has really played long enough to give a fair all-time ranking to. I put Rollins on first from the current team since he's been around the longest out of the three, perhaps I should add them as soon as it looks like J-Roll is starting to get some real support. Thoughts on that anyone?
                  Last edited by TheoBallgame; 11-22-2007, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by THE OX View Post
                    That Chuck Klein was a helluva player goes without saying. His stats are pretty awesome.

Keep in mind, however, that the NL LEAGUE AVERAGE in the late 1920s/early 1930s was right around .300. And that the Phillies ballpark at the time was a bandbox. His stats, taken in that context, aren't quite as fabulous as they look at first glance.

Should he place somewhere in the Phillies Top 10? Entirely possible. But in the Top 5, let's say?

That might be stretching it a bit.......
                    I agree - I think he'll get in the top 10.

Comment

Not a Phillies' fan, so my opinion doesn't count for much, I guess, but I rate both Klein and Delahanty ahead of Mike Schmidt... with Delahanty FAR ahead of Mike Schmidt (and ahead of my own team's Joe DiMaggio).
                      "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo View Post
                        Not a Phillies' fan, so my opinion doesn't count for much, I guess, but I rate both Klein and Delahanty ahead of Mike Schmidt... with Delahanty FAR ahead of Mike Schmidt (and ahead of my own team's Joe DiMaggio).
                        In the context of their eras, I think that Schmidt's career was far more impressive than Klein's. Delahanty was a hell of a hitter, but was he ever at any time the best player in baseball like Schmidt (arguably) was?
                        I think Big Ed comes in at a solid #6, and I would put Klein somewhere around 8-10.

Comment

Originally posted by TheoBallgame View Post
                          In the context of their eras, I think that Schmidt's career was far more impressive than Klein's. Delahanty was a hell of a hitter, but was he ever at any time the best player in baseball like Schmidt (arguably) was?
                          I think Big Ed comes in at a solid #6, and I would put Klein somewhere around 8-10.
                          Well, I think that Klein's peak was one of the ten best of all time, by any player. But that's another story.

Not only do I think that Delahanty was easily the best player in baseball while he was playing, I'll go so far as to say that he was the greatest player in baseball for the 19th century (and, hence, the greatest player of all time before Honus Wagner and Ty Cobb). You can make a pretty decent argument that Delahanty deserved to win MVP (had the award existed) in 1893, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1899, 1901, and 1902. He is, like I said, essentially comparable to Stan Musial or Joe DiMaggio. An absolute BEAST.
                          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

You make a good case. It's so hard to compare across eras like this, Schmidt, Delahanty, and Ashburn are each so different, it is difficult. And then on top of that to have to compare great hitters with great pitchers and decide how Alexander, Carlton, and Roberts mix in to it adds an additional layer of complications.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X