Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phillies Wall Of Fame 2019 - Bobby Abreu As Top Candidate?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies Wall Of Fame 2019 - Bobby Abreu As Top Candidate?.

There's no question that among the preliminary candidates for the Phillies Wall Of Fame 2019 selection that statistically the best candidates are Bobby Abreu and Scott Rolen, with an Honorable Mention going to Placido Polanco. Fans have until February 28 to vote on the phillies.com website before their vote will narrow down the candidate pool to a final five.
    Comparing the two top candidates hitting stats, Abreu Vs .Rolen reveals that Abreu tops Rolen in every career hitting category, except home runs, where Rolen had a relatively narrow 316 to 288 HR advantage over Abreu. I should mention that Rolen's 2,023 career games as a third baseman is nothing to sneeze at and he was a top defensive third baseman in his prime. I should also mention that the only pitching candidates this year are relievers Steve Bedrosian and Gene Garbe,r both of whom barely qualified to meet the Four Years as a Phillie prerequisite to be eligible for this election.
    The election also pits Abreu, who was happy to wear a Phillies uniform for nine years, against Rolen who always seems to be working his way towards Free Agency. His refusal to sign a contract extension in his 'walk year of 2002, almost forced the Phillies to trade him. That trade finally took place at the 2002 Trade Deadline, However led the Phillies to trade Rolen to the St. Louis Cardinals, where the Phillies did get a nice dividend on that trade, acquiring second baseman Placido Polanco, who had two good stints with the Phillies, including one all-star season with the Phils and two seasons during their five consecutive NL East titles run of 2007 to 2011. The slap hitting Polanco also had over 2,100 hits during a very nice career.
    Still, overall I see Abreu (18 MLB Seasons, 2,470 hits, a .291 career batting average, 574 doubles, 288 home runs, 1,363 RBI and exactly 400 Stolen Bases as the best candidate for the Phillies Wall of Fame in 2019.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X