Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dream 25th man on the Phillies roster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dream 25th man on the Phillies roster.

My dream scenario for 2019 Phillies final roster spot (25th Man): After he plays in the two official regular season games in Japan for Seattle Vs. Oakland on March 20 and 21 - Phillies acquire ICHIRO Suzuki from Seattle for a prospect for Outfield Reserve/Pinch Hitter. Ichiro set Pinch Hitting records for Pinch Hitting Appearances 109 and Pinch Hitting At Bats 100 for the Marlins in 2017. He hit .270 as a Pinch Hitter (27 for 100) and his 27 pinch hits was one off the record for Pinch Hits in a season (28 by John Vander Wal - Colorado Rockies - 1995). Overall Ichiro he hit .255 with 3 home runs that year. After Harper's acquisitiion it would be nice to have another Future Hall Of Famer on this year's team.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 03-03-2019, 11:24 PM.

I'd love to have Ichiro but I'm afraid he's going to retire after the opening Japan Series games.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

If you could get Ichiro for the price of a guy you don't think will get 2 full seasons worth of PA in the MLB in his career, fine. Any more than that, and it's nuts for a guy of Ichiro's age and recent production. That might be overpaying since Ichiro has had one decent year (2016) in his past six seasons--and that was a 102 OPS+ year.
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
        If you could get Ichiro for the price of a guy you don't think will get 2 full seasons worth of PA in the MLB in his career, fine. Any more than that, and it's nuts for a guy of Ichiro's age and recent production. That might be overpaying since Ichiro has had one decent year (2016) in his past six seasons--and that was a 102 OPS+ year.
        I'n addition to 2016, I'd call Ichiro's 2017 a pretty decent year too. He set new records for Pinch Hitting Appearances and Games as a Pinch Hitter: 109 of each and he set a new record for Pinch Hitting At-Bats: 100. He went 27 for 100 as a pinch hitter (.270). He fell one pinch hit shy of the record for Pinch Hits in a season (28 by Colorado's John Vanderwal - 1995). Overall he hit .255 for the year, with 3 Home Runs, including a 3-run Game-Winning home run that broke a tie and he was occasionally used by the Marlins' manager Don Mattingly in the Outfield, even starting some games in the Outfield at age 43.
        Last edited by philliesfiend55; 03-09-2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
          I'd love to have Ichiro but I'm afraid he's going to retire after the opening Japan Series games.
          Right now I'm hoping that Ichiro just gets a chance to play in those Japan games at all. He was 2 for 16 (.125) the last time I looked up his Spring Training stats. They will have 28 man rosters for those two games so hopefully he will be added to the Mariners roster for those two games in Japan (whether he deserves to be on the roster or not).

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
            Right now I'm hoping that Ichiro just gets a chance to play in those Japan games at all. He was 2 for 16 (.125) the last time I looked up his Spring Training stats. They will have 28 man rosters for those two games so hopefully he will be added to the Mariners roster for those two games in Japan (whether he deserves to be on the roster or not).
            I think it's planned that he is going to start those games no matter what.

"No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I think it's planned that he is going to start those games no matter what.
              I Hope so! …...I would have loved to see him in the Phillies' Outfield in his prime. Ichiro had nearly 3,100 hits in a major league career that didn't start until he was already 27 - That's unbelievable! He once said that he wanted to [play in the majors until he was 50 and he wouldn't know what to do with himself if he wasn't in the game. Well, if he plays at all this year he made it to age 45 and that's better than.999999999999 per cent of the players who ever played in the majors. The only position player who I can think of who played to an older age is Julio Franco.

Details on the amazing career and longevity of Julio Franco.

Present age: 60.
              Franco played 23 MLB seasons in a 26 year span (1982 to 2007).
              He was born in the Dominican Republic.
              He played baseball in Mexico, Japan and Korea in the three years where his major league service time was interrupted..
              He played his final MLB game on 9/17/2007 at the age of 49 years and 25 days. (according to baseball-reference.com).
              He hit .298 lifetime in the major leagues.
              He had 2,586 hits in 2,527 games.
              He was a singles and doubles hitter, not a home run hitter, but he managed to hit 173 MLB home runs, with a season high of 20 Home Runs.
              Franco had 8 seasons where he hit over .300.
              In 1991 he led the American League and the major leagues with a .341 batting average, while with the Texas Rangers..
              His primary position was as a Second Baseman.
              As he aged he added to his versatility by learning to play other positions and wound up playing as a third baseman, first baseman and in the outfield at times and he could be used as a Designated hitter also in addition to playing his "Natural Position" of Second Baseman..
              He made only 3 all-star teams, but they came in consecutive seasons when he was at his peak.
              Franco also had some speed on the base paths and had 281 career Stolen Bases.
              Like Hall Of Famer, Enos Slaughter once said "They are going to have to rip the uniform off of me when the Front Office people think I can't play anymore."
              Julio Franco embodied that kind of spirit and love for the game of baseball.
              Last edited by philliesfiend55; 03-10-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Franco came up as a SS, no?

Comment

Franco came up as a SS, no?
                  Yes He came up as a Shortstop.
                  Here is Julio Franco's games by position count from baseball-reference.com.

SS - 715 Games.
                  2B - 663 Games.
                  1B - 508 Games
                  DH - 375 Games
                  3B - 7 Games
                  LF - 4 Games
                  RF - 1 Game.

That makes 2,273 Games, which is still short of his total number of 2,527 career games, so you'd have to assume that 95% of his remaining 254 games were as a pinch hitter and about 5% of his remaining games (from very early in his career) were as a pinch runner.
                  Last edited by philliesfiend55; 03-12-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X