Is a big shakeup coming for the Phillies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a big shakeup coming for the Phillies

Big Shakeup coming this Fall for the Phils?

Two second half swoons in a row put Manager Gabe Kapler's job in jeopardy. His Inability to lead the team to winning records
    (2018: 80-82; 2019 81-81; overall: 161-163) is the most perplexing and troubling issue..
    General Manager Matt Klentak's job is not safe either.
    This Autumn Principal Owner, John Middleton may be conducting massive interviews and searches for a new GM and Field Manager.
    GM candidates are as yet unnamed.
    Manager candidates could include; Third Base coach, Dusty Wathan, 46, who played just 5 games in the major leagues, but has managed in the Phillies farm system for ten years from 2008 to 2017. He is the son of John Wathan, 70, Kansas City Royals catcher (1976-1985) and Royals and LA Angels manager. (1987-1992), with a .505 winning percentage, 326-320) and Phillies all-star outfielder Raul Ibanez (more than 2,000 hits and more than 300 home runs) could be strong candidates to replace Kapler.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 10-02-2019, 10:54 AM.

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Big Shakeup coming this Fall for the Phils?

Two second half swoons in a row put Manager Gabe Kapler's job in jeopardy. His Inability to lead the team to winning records
    (2018: 80-82; 2019 81-81; overall: 161-163) is the most perplexing and troubling issue..
    General Manager Matt Klentak's job is not safe either.
    This Autumn Principal Owner, John Middleton may be conducting massive interviews and searches for a new GM and Field Manager.
    GM candidates are as yet unnamed.
    Manager candidates could include; Third Base coach, Dusty Wathan, 46, who played just 5 games in the major leagues, but has managed in the Phillies farm system for ten years from 2008 to 2017. He is the son of John Wathan, 70, Kansas City Royals catcher (1976-1985) and Royals and LA Angels manager. (1987-1992), with a .505 winning percentage, 326-320) and Phillies all-star outfielder Raul Ibanez (more than 2,000 hits and more than 300 home runs) could be strong candidates to replace Kapler.
    I'm not here to defend Kapler, necessarily, who may or may not have been bad at his job. But "his inability to lead the team to winning records....is the most perplexing and troubling issue...."

Really?

First off, Kapler took over a last-place club and, in his first year, missed a "winning record" by a single loss, a 14-win improvement over the year before. This year the Phillies finished at .500 exactly. So your characterization of his record is somewhat inaccurate.

Stating that the manager is the biggest problem on an MLB team must rest on the assumption that the team has the talent they need already and that the skipper has so badly mismanaged the roster as to cost the team games.

The Phillies outperformed their pythagorean projection in both 2018 and 2019 so the team actually won more games than their runs scored-to-runs allowed ratio would suggest they should have. I'm not going to say "that's all Kapler" - it could have been completely random - but the players' performance just doesn't validate the contention that the manager was costing his teams games.

I'm not saying Kapler isn't one of the team's problems, or even that he couldn't be the biggest problem, but I'd sure like to see a case made for that argument.

If next year's roster remains essentially the same as this years, I don't think John McGraw could coach this team to a division title. The Phillies play in an increasingly tough division and their roster simply doesn't measure up to Atlanta or Washington. Changing managers doesn't address that issue and that, to me, is a much bigger problem.

Since Kapler is gone, who would be your ideal replacement? What would the new guy do (or not do) that would make him a better manager than Kapler?

Replacing Matt Klentak would seem premature, but I think the front office's inability to improve the starting pitching and team defense, in particular, has been a serious impediment to the Phils' chances of competing.

Philadelphia may have one of the more interesting offseasons of any team. I don't think changing managers is a terribly large part of that, however.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X