X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KAPLER FIRED ELEVEN DAYS AFTER SEASON FINALE LOSS & .500 FINISH

October 10: GABE'S GONE!!!!
    So much for "NEW AGE" MANAGERS.
    YOU CAN BE SURE THAT HIS SUCCESSOR WILL BE DECIDELY "OLD SCHOOL" !
    A lengthy managerial search and interview process now seems likely.
    Last edited by 1954 Phils; 10-11-2019, 11:19 AM.

Is Kapler to blame for the team's performance this year or does the front office bear greater responsibility?
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
      Is Kapler to blame for the team's performance this year or does the front office bear greater responsibility?
      In 2018 the Phillies went 17-37 over the last third of the season after a 63-45 start producing an under .500 80-82 finish.
      In 2019 there was another dip in performance in the final third of the season, that while not as severe as the previous year's late season slump, still left the Phillies without a winning record at 81-81. this year's team was rather luke warm all season, never having a winning streak of more than 4 or 5 games in a row.
      Both years Kapler seemed to have the team fired up coming out of Spring training only to see the team's performance trail off late in the season when clutch wins really count.
      The Phillies haven't finished above .500 since the fifth and last of their five consecutive NL East Division Title Teams won the NL East in 2011. The best they've done since then has been .500 finishes in 2012 and this year and last year's 80-82 finish. They were among the worst teams in baseball from 2013 to 2017.
      Signing Free Agent, Bryce Harper, and trading for Jean Segura trading and J.T. Realmuto before the 2019 season got every Phillies fan's hopes up for the ew year. (Unfortunately, another Free Agent signing - pitcher David Robertson was a total loss as injuries prevented the reliever from pitching in even 10 games in '19.
      Philadelphia is hungry for winners from their teams after the Eagles won Super Bowl 52 in February 2018. In the past few years the 76ers have made great strides and they must be considered a contender for the NBA crown in the upcoming 2019-2020 season. The NHL Flyers still have the farthest way to go (even farther than the Phillies), but while they are not an elite team, they are a scrappy team and they may make their way at least to the first round of the playoffs.

Most Phillies fans 'never took' to Kapler as the Phils' manager. Social Media has been unkind to him since the firing announcement was made. After the firing was announced some fans declared on Twitter or Facebook, "There must be a God, because my prayer has been answered." Yes, Phillies fans are a rough, demanding crowd and they can be a little harsh at times.

Comment

The "boo birds" are A-okay in my book. My in-laws are Philadelphia sports fans, God bless 'em. (Eagles > Phillies, unfortunately). My father-in-law didn't care for Kapler, but that had to do with Kapler's temper and getting himself tossed from games as much as anything else he told me.

You're right about the late-season collapse both years. It was more stark in '18, but then again '18 was a year they didn't expect to compete (compared to this year). The losing history is the result, of course, of Ruben Amaro's tenure. Poor GM. I don't think Klentak has had enough time. Is MacPhail still supervising baseball ops at all? I'd like to see the Phils go bold this winter in reshuffling some of the roster so it's more well-rounded. Any chance they'd be willing to spend on Cole?

"It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

The biggest failure of the Phillies the last decade is the inability to identify, scout and sign prime Latin American talent.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X