Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Phillies Lock Up Cesar Hernandez For the next few years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Phillies Lock Up Cesar Hernandez For the next few years?

Second Baseman, Cesar Hernandez has certainly made a case for himself that he deserves a multi-year contract from the Phillies to cover the next few years after leading the team in Hits this year with 171 H. He bettered his career batting average of .277 by hitting .27 and he had his best RBI season (71) . He also had his second best season for home runs with 14 HR, one behind his 15 HR total of the previous year. He can be a Free Agent in the offseason of 2020-2021.
    Hernandez really has had only one off-season 2018, when his batting average dipped to .253, but over the last five years his batting averages have generally been good ones: .272 in 2015, .294 in 2016, .294 again in 2017, .253 in 2018 and .279 in 2019. He has averaged 159 hits per year over the last four seasons..
    Hernandez, now age 29, has never played for any organization except the Phillies. By 2011, before he turned 21, he was already on their 40 man roster. He debuted with the Phillies on May 23, 2013, three days after his 23rd birthday. He truly worked his way up through the Phillies organization step by step, going from being an unheralded kid from Venezula to being one of their best and most consistent stars. He's gone from being a bench player in 2013 and 2014, to being an almost everyday player in 2015,with a little over 400 at bats and over 450 plate appearances, to being the team regular second baseman over the last four years (since 2016). His salary has gone up progressively and that's the only reason why the Phillies might not want to take on his contract in the future. He made $7,750,000 in 2019 and its estimated that this winter, in his final year of Arbitration, his asking price might be over 11 million dollars for the 2020 season.
    I am a big fan of Cesar's and I think it would be "Penny Wise & Pound Foolish" if the Phillies were to trade him and seek a less expensive alternative as their regular second baseman.

I'd never say not to trade a guy like this overall. If you can get better value for him, absolutely make the trade. He's likely to make over 10 million. He's OK defensively. If he was still getting .370 OBP marks, I wouldn't trade him unless I got a star. But he's declined to very pedestrian levels over the past few years. I sure wouldn't be too keen on getting him a long term contract at the money he'd likely demand. He's not a bad 2B, but unless his OBP goes back to that .370 level, he's middle of the pack and turning 30 next year. If he'd sign for 2 or 3 years, I might well do it. If not, I'd choose between one year through arbitration and a trade, depending on several factors. First would be what could I get. Another is I'd like to see Kingery at a steady position. I doubt it will be third with the hotshot in Reading (Boehm?) , but CF might be available in McCutcheon is slow to heal. Otherwise, 2B would be a decent slot for Kingery. It kind of depends on health and what position player acquisitions and subtractions they might make to influence my answer.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Scot Kingery should be the Phillies everyday third baseman in 2020, replacing Makiel Franco. Cesar Hernandez must be retained as their regular second baseman. I think Hernandez, who will turn 30 next May and Kingery, who will turn 26 next April have their best years ahead of them and they may have for their Career Years in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by 1954 Phils View Post
        Scot Kingery should be the Phillies everyday third baseman in 2020, replacing Makiel Franco. Cesar Hernandez must be retained as their regular second baseman. I think Hernandez, who will turn 30 next May and Kingery, who will turn 26 next April have their best years ahead of them and they may have for their Career Years in 2020.
        I agree Hernandez has been the model of consistency. He faltered when given the lead off spot but he is an above average 7-8 hitter. I hate to see Kingery's athleticism wasted at third base. I also thought that Franco's demotion was garbage but he seemed to handle it like a professional. It seems Odubel is out of the picture. The farm isn't deep. I won't even begin to try to think of let alone sort out the pitching mess. As it stands the lineup looks like:

1. McCutchen - 7 but I'd play him in center field who the heck else is going to do it better
        2. Segura - 6 meat head
        3. Harper - 9 beast
        4. Hoskins - 3 who I haven't been impressed with and Bohm is coming up
        5. Realmuto - 2 stud
        6. Kingery - 5 solid
        7. Haseley - 8 ugh
        8. Hernandez - 4 pro

Bench: I never want to see Quinn, Rodriguez or Knapp again

In my infinite wisdom I'd have:

1. McCutchen - 8
        2. Segura - 6 still a meat head
        3. Harper - 9
        4. Realmuto - 2
        5. Hoskins - 3
        6. Kingery - 7
        7. Bohm - 5 comes up at some point or they sign Donaldson, Rendon or Moustakas (all would bat at an appropriate line up spot)
        8. Hernandez - 4

Bench, why not:

Adam Haseley - OF because someone has to fill Nick Williams role
        Goose Gosselin - UT of David Eckstein, Inc.
        Jay Bruce - OF why the hell not
        Brad Miller - UT
        Deivy Grullon - C or anyone not named Andrew Knapp
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

"Deivy Grullon - C - or anyone not named Andrew Knapp." That's so Funny and so True. The may have to start calling .200/.199 the Knapp Line instead of The Mendoza Line.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

I agree Hernandez has been the model of consistency. He faltered when given the lead off spot but he is an above average 7-8 hitter. I hate to see Kingery's athleticism wasted at third base. I also thought that Franco's demotion was garbage but he seemed to handle it like a professional. It seems Odubel is out of the picture. The farm isn't deep. I won't even begin to try to think of let alone sort out the pitching mess. As it stands the lineup looks like:

1. McCutchen - 7 but I'd play him in center field who the heck else is going to do it better
            2. Segura - 6 meat head
            3. Harper - 9 beast
            5. Realmuto - 2 stud
            6. Kingery - 5 solid
            7. Haseley - 8 ugh
            8. Hernandez - 4 pro

1. McCutchen - 8
            3. Harper - 9
            4. Realmuto - 2
            5. Hoskins - 3
            6. Kingery - 7
            7. Bohm - 5 comes up at some point or they sign Donaldson, Rendon or Moustakas (all would bat at an appropriate line up spot)
            8. Hernandez - 4

Bench, why not:

Brad Miller - UT
            Besides Haseley, none of the bench guys can play any defense, with the possible exception of D. Grullon, although he is a work in progress defensively and he's reputed to have a great throwing arm.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

2. Segura - 6 meat head
              3. Harper - 9 beast
              5. Realmuto - 2 stud
              6. Kingery - 5 solid
              7. Haseley - 8 ugh
              8. Hernandez - 4 pro

1. McCutchen - 8
              3. Harper - 9
              4. Realmuto - 2
              5. Hoskins - 3
              6. Kingery - 7
              8. Hernandez - 4

Bench, why not:

Brad Miller - UT
              "Haseley - ugh" - bluesky5. I'd be more patient with Haseley. Last Spring Training he was just trying to make the AA/Reading/Eastern League team. He was thrust into a starting role in the major leagues (perhaps prematurely), after McCutcheon's injury, but all-in-all I think he did a pretty good job in 2019.

Comment

If your a religious man and a Phillies fan I'd be praying for the Phillies to obtain a few guys as XMAS presents for them to take into the 2020 season: a new third baseman, a closer. and two "Lumps Of Cole for their starting rotation: Gerrit Cole and the return to Philadelphia of Cole Hamels. Hamels is within 3 productive years of 200 Wins and 3,000 Strikeouts and I'd love to see him reach those milestones as a Phillie.
                (Hamels would have to average 13 Wins and 150 Strikeouts a year for 3 years to reach 200 wins and 3,000 Strikeouts).
                Last edited by 1954 Phils; 11-10-2019, 10:59 PM.

Comment

If your a religious man and a Phillies fan I'd be praying for the Phillies to obtain a few guys as XMAS presents for them to take into the 2020 season: a new third baseman, a closer. and two "Lumps Of Cole for their starting rotation: Gerrit Cole and the return to Philadelphia of Cole Hamels. Hamels is within 3 productive years of 200 Wins and 3,000 Strikeouts and I'd love to see him reach those milestones as a Phillie.
                  (Hamels would have to average 13 Wins and 150 Strikeouts a year for 3 years to reach 200 wins and 3,000 Strikeouts).
                  This team needs about 3 big free agent signings. They need a third baseman and two starters. Bullpens are impossible to predict and no one cares about those bums anyhow. I guess that's why baseball is moving towards it - make the game as boring as possible and prevent the most popular position from becoming a star - utter stupidity. Sounds perfect for the Phillies they'd be the best club ever if utter stupidity was the measure.

"Haseley - ugh" - bluesky5. I'd be more patient with Haseley. Last Spring Training he was just trying to make the AA/Reading/Eastern League team. He was thrust into a starting role in the major leagues (perhaps prematurely), after McCutcheon's injury, but all-in-all I think he did a pretty good job in 2019.
                  That's a good point man. I'm going to try and be less pessimistic on him.
                  "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I(f Hamels were to reach 3,000 Strikeouts, he'd have the least wins of all 3,000 strikeout pitchers. Even with 3,000 Srikeouts he probably wouldn't be elected to the Hall Of Fame pitcher, either by the writers vote or by a Veterans Committee..

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X