Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signing of Free Agent, 2B- Didi Gregorious to be announced by Phillies today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing of Free Agent, 2B- Didi Gregorious to be announced by Phillies today.

A deal has been reached between shortstop Didi Gregarious and the Philadelphia Phillies and details of it will be announce today, December 11, 2019.
    Gregorious is an outstanding second baseman with a little over 6 years of major league experience His signing could solidify the Phillies infield: first baseman, Rhys Hoskins, Jean Segura moving from shortstop to second baseman, Gregorious at Shortstop and Scott Kingsley as the Phillies new everyday third baseman. Kingsley could be challenged for the hot corner spot by recent #1 draft choice, Alec Bohm as soon as 2021 or even by the end of the 2020 season. In which case, Kingsley may my slotted into a starting outfielder's job in the future. Having a surplus of talent is a nice dilemma for the Phillies to have, as often in the past decade they have had a dearth of talent and have had to patch together a starting lineup of some guys who really should only have been bench players at the major leagues level..
    Staring 3B Maikel Franco and 2b Cesar Hernandez were not tendered contracts for 2020, which makes them Free Agents. I'm not upset at all that the Phillies and Franco have parted ways, but I really think that "Little Cesar" Hernandez is a real quality second baseman, who both hits and fields well and I wish there was some way the Phillies could have held on to him. I don't think he's going to be a Free Agent for very long, before some team pounces on him with a quick signing.
    Gregorious lost his job with the Yankees due to injuries that caused him to miss the first half of the 20119 season. When he returned to he field he could not supplant his replacement, D.J. LeMahieu, who made the American league All-Star Team by hitting over 20 home runs, driving in over 100 runs, and hitting .329 to finish as the runner-up to the American League Batting Title Winner, Tim Anderson of the Chicago White Sox who hit a major leagues leading .335.
    Gregorious' major league experience includes a little over seven seasons in the majors:
    2012: Cincinnati Reds (cup of coffee/partial season) and then seven full MLB seasons 2013-2014: Arizona Diamondbacks and 2015-2019: New York Yankees. Full seasons since 2014 and then he had the daunting task of becoming Derek Jeter's replacement as the Yankees shortstop in 2015. It is very surprising that he has failed to make an all-star team to this point in his career. He's 29 and will turn 30 next February during Spring Training.
    His career totals thus far are:
    Games: 851; Hits: 816; Home Runs: 110; RBI: 417; Runs: 417; Doubles: 145; Batting Average: .264.
    Last edited by 1954 Phils; 12-11-2019, 08:48 AM.

The Phillies new starting defensive lineup for 2020 now appears to be:

C - J.T. REALMUTO.
    1B - RHYS HOSKINS
    2B - JEAN SEGURA.
    3B - SCOTT KINGSLEY
    SS - DIDI GREGORIOUS.
    LF - ANDREW McCUTCHEON.
    CF - ADAM HASELEY.
    RF - BRYCE HARPER.

ON THE HORIZON FOR 2021: 3B: ALEC BOHM, WITH KINGSLEY MOVING TO AN OUTFIELD POSITION OR MORE LIKELY, TAKING OVER AT 2B, WITH GREGORIOUS MOVING ON TO ANOTHER TEAM AS A FREE AGENT, SINCE HE IS ONLY SIGNING A ONE YEAR DEAL WITH THE PHILLIES.
    Last edited by 1954 Phils; 12-11-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X