Ex-Phillies 2B Cesar Hernandez signs with the Cleveland Indians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Phillies 2B Cesar Hernandez signs with the Cleveland Indians

DEC.24, 2019: Cesar Hernandez. a Phillie for all or parts of 7 seasons (2013-2019) and the team's leader in Hits for the 2010-2019 decade, who was second in games as a Phillie to Ryan Howard for that timeperiod has signed with the Cleveland Indians. He took a 1.5 million dollars pay cut to sign a 6.25 million dollar one-year deal with the Indians. (He had played the 2019 season with the Phillies under a 7.75 million dollars contract). Hernandez, 29, could now become the double play partner of all-star shortstop Franciso Lindor, providing that Lindor does not get traded (there have been plenty of Lindor trade rumors recently). Hernandez, a Venezuelan, hit.279 this past season and has a .277 lifetime batting average.

Releasing players for the sake of releasing players.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

He'd have probably gotten $10 million had he stayed in Philly. I can't imagine him signing for $4 million less for the Phillies since he could go to arbitration. If the team uses that money wisely, the release of Hernandez is defensible.
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
        He'd have probably gotten $10 million had he stayed in Philly. I can't imagine him signing for $4 million less for the Phillies since he could go to arbitration. If the team uses that money wisely, the release of Hernandez is defensible.
        Being non-tendered must have come as quite a shock to Cesar. From age 16, playing in the Phillies' Venezuelan Summer League affiliate to age 29 whdere he was a mainstay with the Phillies (he led the team in Hits for at least 3 years.) Being released from the only baseball organization he'd ever known couldn't have sat well with Cesar. I wish him a lot of success this year with the Cleveland Indians.
        Last edited by jalbright; 01-04-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1954 Phils View Post
          Being non-tendered must have come as quite a shock to Cesar. From age 16, playing in the Phillies' Venezuelan Summer League affiliate to age 29 whdere he was a mainstay with the Phillies (he led the team in Hits for at least 3 years.) Being released from the only baseball organization he'd ever known couldn't have sat well with Cesar. I wish him a lot of success this year with the Cleveland Indians.
          Look how they did Franco dirty sending him to AAA when Rhys Hoskins was just as bad. Releasing Cesar was a bad move. They have so many needs and they open a hole and insert one year of Gregorious for what? They could have used that Gregorious money on pitching. They could have negotiated with Cesar for a multi-year deal cheaper than his arbitration number.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X