The 2008 Phils season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2008 Phils season

This season is for discussion of the events of the 2008 season.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Great way to open the season! Why are Madson & Gordon still on this team? They are absolutely horrendous, especially that dog Madson! Gordon belongs in a rocking chair. I'm sick of watching them carrying gas cans in from the bullpen to throw on the fire. The wife beater, Myers, should have been dumped 2 years ago! Myers is an overrated stiff! Why was Pedro "Automatic Out" Feliz even signed? He's another Felipe Crespo. Giants fans are thrilled Feliz is off their team. This team is awful! I predict a last place, 100 plus loss season. Remember to thank Monty, Ruben, Patty, Uncle Charlie, and, last, but not certainly least, Bill Giles!

Comment

Good game guys. This is the first time the Nats have been over .500 since '05 and while it hurts you guys, I'm very grateful to have this moment as a Nats even if we end up fading.
      The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
      Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

I would say that Manuel goes by the book, but that implies that he can read. His handling of the pitching yesterday was done with his usual clumsiness and heavy touch, and not surprisingly, the game blew up in his face. Chalk up one loss for Manuel and one for his joke of a GM, Pat Gillick.

Comment

We are in big big trouble. I do not see this ending well. They need to just start the season in May.
          See ball, hit ball.

Comment

As has been the case during the Bat Manuel error, the Phils are forgetting that the games in April count. The Phils made Tim Redding, a Houston reject, look like Walter Johnson tonight. Pathetic effort by an overrated lineup. Wait until the Phils play the good teams and they will be exposed much worse.

Comment

Tim Redding and Shawn Hill, two crappy pitchers on the Nats that absolutely own the Phillies. Hopefully they will be able to win one today. Luckily (or unluckily) I will be able to watch the game at work.
              See ball, hit ball.

Comment

Wasn't Lidge actvated Saturday? If so, why didn't Manuel bring him in the bottom of 9th? I know it was a tie game, but, if I were a manager, I want to see how he would have responded to a pressure situation. Better to do so early in the season than later.

Comment

April 8: Reds 8 Phils 2

This team clearly has no heart. They flat out quit against a bad Cincy team. Shut down this afternoon by Edison Volquez, a pitcher with a 3-11 career record. The Philllies quit as soon as Griffey hit the 2 run HR in the bottom of the 1st. The offense is average if it isn't hitting in bandboxes and the pitching, outside of perhaps Hamels, is atrocious. The overrated Myers' velocity on fastballs is only reaching in the high 80's, which means he is probably injured and will not be much of a factor this season. On a positive note, Bat Manuel decided, instead of wasting him in a tie game yesterday to possibly get a win, to pitch Lidge an inning today with the Phils 6 runs down. Lidge pitched a perfect 8th inning.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
                    This team clearly has no heart. They flat out quit against a bad Cincy team. Shut down this afternoon by Edison Volquez, a pitcher with a 3-11 career record. The Philllies quit as soon as Griffey hit the 2 run HR in the bottom of the 1st. The offense is average if it isn't hitting in bandboxes and the pitching, outside of perhaps Hamels, is atrocious. The overrated Myers' velocity on fastballs is only reaching in the high 80's, which means he is probably injured and will not be much of a factor this season. On a positive note, Bat Manuel decided, instead of wasting him in a tie game yesterday to possibly get a win, to pitch Lidge an inning today with the Phils 6 runs down. Lidge pitched a perfect 8th inning.
                    A bad Cincy team? I don't think so. The team is totally different from last year with over half the rotation gone and many different bullpen guys. Plus Kepp is just that good. Anyway, Volquez has been working hard this spring with control which was his one problem at Texas. Mario Soto has been working with Volquez and Cueto and says they pretty much have the same nasty stuff.
                    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
                      A bad Cincy team? I don't think so. The team is totally different from last year with over half the rotation gone and many different bullpen guys. Plus Kepp is just that good. Anyway, Volquez has been working hard this spring with control which was his one problem at Texas. Mario Soto has been working with Volquez and Cueto and says they pretty much have the same nasty stuff.
                      I thought the Reds were bad by simply reading your sig line redlegsfan21. A billion games out already!

Comment

April 7: Phils 5 Reds 3

We are now one week into the season and the Phils sit at 3-4. Today, they manged to split with the Reds, with a fortunate 5-3 victory. The Phils tried mightily to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but were unsuccessful. A walk, a dropped fly ball by So Taguchi, in for defensive purposes, an intentional BB to Griffey and a wild pitch by Lidge got Cincy to within 2 in the bottom of the 9th. With runners on second and third, Lidge got a generous called third strike from umpire Hunter Wendelstedt to end the game.

The Phils now head to NY for a pivotal series with the Mets. Despite the Mets problems thus far, I expect the Mets to at least take 2 out of 3, if not sweep the Phils. I have a bad feeling about this series as the Mets should be psyched to pummel the Phils.

Comment

Phillies at New York where Myers or Hamels will not be pitching?

Yeah. It's going to be ugly.
                          I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Comment

That is managing the old rotation really well: using Hamels and Meyers against the Reds so that neither Hamels nor Meyers would be available for the Mets. The Phillies ooze stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock View Post
                              That is managing the old rotation really well: using Hamels and Meyers against the Reds so that neither Hamels nor Meyers would be available for the Mets. The Phillies ooze stupidity.
                              As a wise man once said, "Charlie just be yourself."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X