John Marzano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Marzano

Local boy John Marzano, who played for the Red Sox and frequently appeared on the Morning Show on WIP, died today at the age of 45, either from a fall or a heart attack. The announcement was not clear. Marzano was a very funny commentator and an excellent analyst of the game. Awful, awful loss.

The passings of athletes (today Marzano and earlier this week Tommy Holmes) and actors (Richard Widmark and Charlton Heston) always seem to be sadder to me because these are people we invite into our home (through tv) or pay to see perform (at the movies, on stage, or at the ballpark) and become a part of our lives.

From: http://ny.metro.us/metro/sports/ap/B...t_Marzano.html

Former major leaguer John Marzano dies at 45 in Philadelphia

APR 19, 2008 6:10 PM EDT

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Former major leaguer John Marzano died Saturday after falling down a flight of stairs at his home. He was 45.

The cause of his death was not immediately clear, police said.

Marzano was from Philadelphia and had been working for Major League Baseball's Web site, where he co-hosted a show on weekday mornings.

"John was a beloved member of our team, a personable, terrific friend to all with whom he worked," said Bob Bowman, chief executive officer of MLB Advanced Media. "He was an engaging, informed interviewer. His energy, knowledge of the game and comedic touch produced admirable results. We miss him dearly already."

In a statement announcing his death, MLB said Marzano had fallen. MLB.com will establish an internship program in Marzano's name, the release said.

Before joining MLB's Web site, Marzano was a baseball analyst on Comcast SportsNet for the station's Philadelphia Phillies' postgame shows. He had also appeared regularly on WIP-AM.

"The Phillies family is saddened by the news of John Marzano's untimely death," Phillies president David Montgomery said in a statement. "John was an endeared member of the Philadelphia sports community who not only represented our city well as both an athlete and a broadcaster, but also had incredible passion for the games we play. Our deepest condolences go out to the Marzano family at this difficult time."

A graduate of Temple, Marzano earned a spot as a catcher on the 1984 U.S. Olympic team that included future major league stars Mark McGwire, Barry Larkin and Will Clark. He was drafted by the Boston Red Sox with the 14th overall pick in the first round of the 1984 amateur draft.

Marzano played 10 seasons in the big leagues for the Boston Red Sox, Texas Rangers and Seattle Mariners before retiring in 1998. He also played in the minors for the Phillies and the Cleveland Indians.

Overall, Marzano batted .241 with 11 homers and 72 RBIs in 794 at-bats in 301 games.

Marzano was popular in Seattle for his altercation with New York Yankees outfielder Paul O'Neill during a game in 1996. The two traded punches at home plate after O'Neill took exception to a knockdown pitch by Tim Davis.

Marzano is survived by his wife, Terri, daughters Dominique and Danielle, and two grandchildren.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comment

Terrible loss. He will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolyankee View Post
        Marzano was popular in Seattle for his altercation with New York Yankees outfielder Paul O'Neill during a game in 1996. The two traded punches at home plate after O'Neill took exception to a knockdown pitch by Tim Davis.
        Marzano was the typical Philly guy that didn't take crap from anyone. I thought he would have made an excellent color commentator for the Phils since his analysis of the Phils was non-apologetic and accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
          Marzano was the typical Philly guy that didn't take crap from anyone. I thought he would have made an excellent color commentator for the Phils since his analysis of the Phils was non-apologetic and accurate.
          But that's why he had a snowball's chance in Hades of getting the job while the current ownership is in place. They might have to take an occasional jab from an Ashburn or even a Kalas, who were in place and quite popular before they were--but they were never anything but circumspect about criticising the team. Marzano could/would be more blunt and do it with some frequency--which is precisely what these owners wouldn't tolerate.
          Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
          Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
            But that's why he had a snowball's chance in Hades of getting the job while the current ownership is in place. They might have to take an occasional jab from an Ashburn or even a Kalas, who were in place and quite popular before they were--but they were never anything but circumspect about criticising the team. Marzano could/would be more blunt and do it with some frequency--which is precisely what these owners wouldn't tolerate.
            Agree completely. I just didn't think it was appropriate for me to comment on whether the ownership group would have tolerated criticism from Marzano if he were a color commentator.
            Last edited by Steve Jeltz; 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Chris Wheeler's key to success: never criticize a Phillie. Always criticize the fan who criticizes the Phillie.

Comment

Agree completely. I just didn't think it was appropriate for me to comment on whether the ownership group would have tolerated criticism from Marzano if he were a color commentator.
                I don't quite understand why. I'm not disrespecting the dead Marzano at all--merely accurately describing him. Indeed, that aspect of his personality was something many found endearing. Yeah, I'm not fond of this ownership group, but how many folks not drawing a paycheck from them or benefitting from their actions "for the good of the industry" rather than for the good of the franchise are? Certainly not many here at BBF. John Marzano had the sense to enjoy life, while Phillies' ownership seems to be dead but just don't know it yet.
                A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

I don't think they give a damn enough to even listen to what their own commentators are saying. If they did, they'd realize how bad a few of them really are..
                  I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Comment

They got rid of Scott Graham. They've kept Chris Wheeler. They now keep Gary Matthews away from Chris Wheeler. They do everything they possibly can to coddle Chris Wheeler. Marzano would have had Wheeler crying. John was everything the Phillies would not want: honest, funny, entertaining, and insightful.
                    Last edited by donzblock; 04-22-2008, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Androctus View Post
                      I don't think they give a damn enough to even listen to what their own commentators are saying. If they did, they'd realize how bad a few of them really are..
                      Ah, but they're sensitive to criticism, if nothing else. They may well be deaf to the rest, but not that.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                        Ah, but they're sensitive to criticism, if nothing else. They may well be deaf to the rest, but not that.
                        Even when it comes from former broadcasters. Andy Musser was bought back for the post game ceremonies of the Vet's last game. Musser commented along the lines that the Vet was home to quite a few bad Phillies teams over the years. I remember reading that the Phils were not happy with Musser's comments even though he was just stating what every fan knew. If they couldn't take that innocuous comment from Musser, I doubt that Marzano would have lasted a full game as a commentator.

Comment

Donz, is that you?

Comment

Yes, it is. Losing Marzano is like losing a close friend, and I never met him.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X