SD newspaper ridicules Philadelphia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD newspaper ridicules Philadelphia

The San Diego Union Tribune has an article on its website that criticizes Philly and its fans. I guess things are so bad for the Padres that they cant write about baseball.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblo...y-offers-hope/

Comment

Was there supposed to be a point to that article?

Comment

That has got to be some of the worst dribble I've ever read.

After four straight seasons of losing Aprils, the Phillies are 14-11 and actually excited about the prospect of actually going into May with a .500 record this season, which would require a sweep of the Padres.
        What math is that?

I hope this isn't a general example of the sportswriting that goes on in San Diego. It would be a wonder their fans gave a damn at all what happened to the Padres.
        I AM ROSTERDAMUS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Androctus View Post
          It would be a wonder their fans gave a damn at all what happened to the Padres.
          While it's purely an anecdotal observation, the Padres forum on BB-F is a lonely, forgotten gost town. If you venture to check it out, be prepared to blow the dust off your screen once it loads.
          I had been to a few games at the Murph. Not exactly a rabid, passionate fan base. More like an occasional game is 'something to do'. That was my impression.

Comment

At times like this, it is well to sit, and relax...

...and consider just how the writer would look, covered in beer...

...and uh...nachos

All kidding aside: who cares what they think in San Diego?

Comment

I didn't think this article was offensive to Philadelphia at all. Everything was 100% factual and not overblown.

Comment

Philadelpfia is a dump. San Diego is morally and politically superior. We are a sports mecca with better fans. We will be in a Super Bowl and World Series before you ever are.

Comment

Originally posted by charger View Post
                  Philadelpfia is a dump. San Diego is morally and politically superior. We are a sports mecca with better fans. We will be in a Super Bowl and World Series before you ever are.
                  Isn't it getting close to your bedtime sonny?
                  Alcohol
                  Tobacco
                  Firearms
                  should be a convenience store,
                  not a government agency

Comment

Yes, Philadelpfia is a dump. It can't compare to Philadelphia or San Diego. San Diego will always be morally superior to Philadelpfia. I think it's the zoo that accounts for this superior morality. In fact, San Diegoans in public do a perfect imitation of the Gallapagos turtles, right down to the grunting and drooling, both of which you have been kind enough to bless us with. We look forward to your next visit, and don't bother bringing a napkin. A lobster bib will do.

Comment

Leave the rude one from San Diego alone. There is to be no more of that kind of comment, and if he continues, he will find out I am quite serious. That said, there will be no personal attacks on him from this point forward, either.
                      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Obviously somebody trying to throw out flame bait.

As much as I've always loved the Chargers and Padres, I don't think any real fan from San Diego is going to try and claim the city to be a sports Mecca. The NBA failed in SD twice; the Rockets and Clippers both left San Diego for other cities. Our minor league hockey team keeps folding and coming back then folding again. Our most successful franchise ever was an indoor soccer team. Even our primary college teams, SDSU and USD can't get anything done.

Oddly enough, because San Diego is such an indifferent city when it comes to sports, I've always maintained that those very few of us who are hardcore San Diego fans are some of the most loyal in sports -- because we've gone to half-empty venues for years, never had any championship in any sport to show for it (unless you count the 1963 AFL title), we have to put up with derision while walking the streets of our own town (that is, just as many San Diegans seem to mock the Chargers and Padres as support them), and after all of that -- after all the suffering and loyalty for years and years with nothing to show for it -- we then have to endure being called "fair weather fans" by the media and fans of other cities.

San Diego is -- generally speaking -- a very fair-weather sports town. The general populace is pretty lukewarm about supporting the teams. But those rare SD fans who have been loyal to our teams through thick and thin are just as hardcore as any fan in Boston, Philly, Chicago or Detroit. And again, keep in mind we have nothing to fall back on. Sure, the Cubs never win it all, but Chicago fans had Michael Jordan and the Bulls. Boston baseball was cursed for years, but Boston fans had plenty of Celtics and Patriots titles to ease the pain. The Lions might be a joke in Detroit, but they have the Red Wings hoisting Stanley Cups to make up for it. In San Diego we NEVER HAVE ANYTHING to cheer about when it comes to sports.

Having said all that, I don't understand why Jenkins felt the need to try and slam the Phillies at all. Maybe he was still pissed all these years later that you guys ended up with John Kruk. Maybe he was just really bored. Maybe he's jealous that Philly supports its teams with nice venues, while the Chargers are threatening to move because they can't get a new stadium. Just keep in mind that Chris Jenkins doesn't represent all of San Diego.
                        Last edited by Padres Fan; 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Eagles - Last Appearance: 2004 Super Bowl
                          Last Championship: 1960 NFL Championship
                          Phillies - Last Appearance: 1993 World Series
                          Last Championship: 1980 World Series

Chargers - Last Appearance:1994 Super Bowl
                          Last Championship: 1963 AFL Championship
                          Padres - Last Appearance: 1998 World Series
                          Last Championship: NEVER
                          "Chicks love me."
                          -Pat Burrell

Comment

We also reserve the right to throw in the nine American League pennants and five world championships the A's won when they were here

Comment

Originally posted by PlayJay View Post
                              We also reserve the right to throw in the nine American League pennants and five world championships the A's won when they were here
                              Here is Chris Jenkins of the San Diego Union badmouthing Red Sox fans. Meanwhile the Padres are 37-62.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...75#post1255475
                              http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X