Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our condolences to Charlie

From the Delaware County Times:

Phillies Manager Charlie Manuel's mother has passed away, the team announced this afternoon. Manuel's pregame press conference Friday was cancelled. Manuel plans to manage the Phillies against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 2 of the NLCS despite the death of his mother.

The Phillies said that June Manuel died Friday morning. No other information was immediately available. Manuel watched batting practice from his customary spot behind the cage, but did not talk to the media and his usual pregame press conference was canceled.

Several players, including members of the Dodgers, offered their condolences.

Here is what Manuel told MLB.com about his mom on Mother's Day, 2005:

"I can't imagine a better person in the world than my mother," Manuel said. "I hope everybody's mom is like mine. She's been very special to me, and I've been very lucky to have a mother like her."

The Phils hold a 1-0 lead in the NLCS. They play the Dodgers this afternoon at 4:30 and were due to leave for Los Angeles right after the game. Games 2 and 3 and set Sunday and Monday at Dodger Stadium.
    sigpic"I'm flattered that so many baseball people think I'm a Hall of Famer. But what's hard to believe is how one-hundred and fifty plus people have changed their minds about me since I became eligible, because I haven't had a base hit since then." - Richie Ashburn

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X