Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CONNIE MACK STADIUM(shibe park)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by EbtsFldGuy
    Is there any commemoration on the site of Connie Mack of the fact that the Phils (and A's) once played there?
    There's a historical plaque. The church actually does a good job of memorializing the former ballpark, all things considered.

    Comment


    • #17
      Just wondering where exactly Shibe Park was (street names in particular). I'm in North Philly right now across the street from Temple University and may be interested in checking the area out (not alone of couse ). I never got to a game....it was gone long before I was born. But I do love the history of the game.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by jocli
        Just wondering where exactly Shibe Park was (street names in particular). I'm in North Philly right now across the street from Temple University and may be interested in checking the area out (not alone of couse ). I never got to a game....it was gone long before I was born. But I do love the history of the game.
        I believe the entrance to Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium was on the corner of 21st Street and Leheigh Avenue.

        Comment


        • #19
          [QUOTE=EbtsFldGuy]
          Originally posted by johncap
          While Acme is long gone from NY, it may still be in business elsewhere.
          I believe ACME still makes a great anvil.


          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
          Carl Yastrzemski

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Jason R. Maier
            I believe the entrance to Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium was on the corner of 21st Street and Leheigh Avenue.
            Correct, home plate and main entrance were at 21st St. and Lehigh Avenue across from Dobbins Prep. That's probably 12-15 blocks from Temple U.

            Comment


            • #21
              thanks....yeah, that does sound like the shady part of town.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by jocli
                Just wondering where exactly Shibe Park was (street names in particular). I'm in North Philly right now across the street from Temple University and may be interested in checking the area out (not alone of couse ). I never got to a game....it was gone long before I was born. But I do love the history of the game.

                The Athletics first home was what is now Cecil B. Moore and N 29th. The Phillies first home is a couple of blocks over on Ridge Ave. The very first home of a major league club in Philadelphia is just a walk away from both of these parks at 25th and Jefferson.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jocli
                  thanks....yeah, that does sound like the shady part of town.
                  It's rough but not a whole lot worse than the perimeter of Temple's campus.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by jocli
                    Just wondering where exactly Shibe Park was (street names in particular). I'm in North Philly right now across the street from Temple University and may be interested in checking the area out (not alone of couse ). I never got to a game....it was gone long before I was born. But I do love the history of the game.

                    Be real careful about going up there.

                    Time of day, accompaniment, and mode of travel (especially a quick exit capability) are important.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Yep, remember the death toll in Philly is 355 now right? Dont want to be 356. But, really, if you do during the day you'll be fine. Even during the day, two other people would probably be a good idea to bring with you, just in case. I dont think it will be much worse than around where you are now.

                      A side not, my dad used to live in north and south Philly, a Philly native he is, random but yeah.....I used to go to my grandmother's house in North Philly all the time, it was fun.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Yeah . . . Us Phillies fans are stupid*. I never did, but this past 2006 season, they really put Burrell thru hell! I was probably the only one cheering for him!
                        Last edited by E.Banks#14; 11-22-2006, 09:53 PM. Reason: *Foul language
                        Aaron Rowand: ANOTHER SEASON IN PHILLY! CRASH, NUMBER 33, CRASH!

                        I dare you to bunt on me. Seriously. Do it. You'll be out faster than you can swing the bat

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by punker268
                          Yeah . . . Us Phillies fans are stupid*. I never did, but this past 2006 season, they really put Burrell thru hell! I was probably the only one cheering for him!
                          Wrong, I cheered for that Bum, until that last three weeks.
                          Last edited by E.Banks#14; 11-22-2006, 09:53 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            connie mack stadium

                            I remember going to Connie Mack stadium in the 60's with my father when the Giants visited there . My dad would park his car in the neighborhood and kids will come up to you and ask if they can watch your car, of course if you told them no there would be a good chance your car would not be there when you returned. My dad used to call Connie Mack Stadium the graveyard for all the heartbreak losses the Giants had there in the 60's. Juan Marichal had a 10-0 record I think in the 66 season and suffered his first loss of that season not getting past the 2nd inning. We also saw Richie Allen in 1969 use his spikes to draw quotes in the dirt to Phillies managment to trade him after the season. But I always enjoyed going to that ballpark and still miss it.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by jints15
                              I remember going to Connie Mack stadium in the 60's with my father when the Giants visited there . My dad would park his car in the neighborhood and kids will come up to you and ask if they can watch your car, of course if you told them no there would be a good chance your car would not be there when you returned. My dad used to call Connie Mack Stadium the graveyard for all the heartbreak losses the Giants had there in the 60's. Juan Marichal had a 10-0 record I think in the 66 season and suffered his first loss of that season not getting past the 2nd inning. We also saw Richie Allen in 1969 use his spikes to draw quotes in the dirt to Phillies managment to trade him after the season. But I always enjoyed going to that ballpark and still miss it.
                              Yeah I do remember reading Dick Allen wrote quotes in teh dirt at Connie Mack, specifically "Boo!" to the fans :P

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X