• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies Searching For Starters

Saw this at MLB Trade Rumors

Rosenthal: Phillies In Search Of Starters
    By Drew Silva [May 23, 2009 at 3:54pm CST]
    Ken Rosenthal appeared on the FOX broadcast of the Yankees vs. Phillies game this afternoon and dropped this bit of information:

"There is no question the Phillies want another starter, maybe even two starters the way this thing might evolve. In a perfect world, they would get a number 2 to fit behind Cole Hamels, someone better than Joe Blanton, the pitcher they acquired last season. Obviously, we've heard about Jake Peavy this week. He probably would not want to come to Philly. But you'll be hearing about guys like Erik Bedard and Jarrod Washburn, who both pitch for the Mariners, maybe even Roy Oswalt. The Phillies are going to inquire and be in on every one of those pitchers."

We're talking about fairly high-priced talent here. Do the Phillies have that kind of scratch? They set a franchise payroll record this season.

What do you think would be a good fit for Philadelphia? And who do you think they'd have to give up for those pitchers?

I'm thinking Jake Peavy. On his acceptance list, he never said anything about the Phillies. But if they made the right deal, i think he'd be a good fit. He wants to win now, and in addition to being World Champs I can totally see the Phillies making another run if they fix their rotation

Comment

RE: Peavy: the biggest question is what would the Phils have to give up? You don't want to move your core players (Rollins, Utley, Hamels, Howard), and I doubt they want to give up Marston (if I got the hoped-for catcher of the future's name right). You can't give up Myers, either, even though he's in his last year, as that weakens them again. You can only spare one of Moyers, Blanton and Happ without ripping two holes in the rotation to be filled by one guy. Do they have enough to make the Padres willing to deal with them given those constraints? My gut says probably not. If they don't have enough to make a deal, it's irrelevant if San Diego wants too much for him, which is another possibility.

A Blanton like deal to plug a hole in the rotation seems more likely, if the problems persist with Happ in the rotation in place of Park.
      Last edited by jalbright; 05-23-2009, 06:16 PM.
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

I'd be very much against trading the organization's top prospects in a 3 for1 or 4 for1 deal to get Peavy as some people are now speculating. I didn't like the trade last year for Blanton where Adrian Cardenas and Josh Outman and others went to Oakland,although Blanton pitched well in the post-season.
        Unless your farm system is incredibly deep, it's better to hold onto top prospects for your own use at the major league level a few years down the road than package them for one major leaguer, who may not even want to stay long in your organization and who will exercise his free agent rights at the first available opportunity.

Comment

but what about others? such as bedard? or maybe even cliff lee? i cant imagine bedard costing too much. maybe bedard and maybe a pen guy for blanton, and a prospect?

Comment

Tom Glavine

Well Tom Glavine was released today by the Atlanta Braves. Since coming off the DL he's thrown 11 scoreless innings in minor league appearances and his agents has indicated that he still wants to pitch.

Glavine might look good in a Phillies' uniform.
            “I see great things in baseball.”
            Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by baseball junkie View Post
              Well Tom Glavine was released today by the Atlanta Braves. Since coming off the DL he's thrown 11 scoreless innings in minor league appearances and his agents has indicated that he still wants to pitch.

Glavine might look good in a Phillies' uniform.
              Gosh I hope so. That way then the Mets can crush him, everytime they face him that scrub.
              sigpic
              LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by All-StarLF1713 View Post
                but what about others? such as bedard? or maybe even cliff lee? i cant imagine bedard costing too much. maybe bedard and maybe a pen guy for blanton, and a prospect?
                Oswalt, and Lee unlikely to be dealt. Bedard may be had, but would the Phillies be willing to give up some of their higher rated farm players, for a pitcher who has had some health issues in the past, and frankly never pitched in a major media market (NY, Chi, LA, Boston, Philly) before? I somehow he'd melt like an ice cream cone on a July day the first time he'd have a below average start, especially in a town like Philly.
                sigpic
                LETS GO METS !!!

Comment

i saw a post on mlbtr that said that they dnt think he can pitch in tht kind of environment. and glavine hasnt aged like moyer has. i think hes done

Comment

Originally posted by JerseeJerry55 View Post
                    Gosh I hope so. That way then the Mets can crush him, everytime they face him that scrub.
                    ...because the Mets are really droppin' the ball...
                    watching the dingers sail over the wall... :hissyfit:

Comment

I'm going to throw this name out there. How about Aaron Cook currently with the Rockies? I'm not sure Colorado is wanting to deal him right now, especially considering they are in the middle of an 11 game winning streak. But it might be worth a try and I really think he'd look good in the 2 or 3 hole of the Phils rotation. He's a very athletic pitcher, who when he's going well is extremely effective. Yes he can be inconsistent, but he'd get a lot more run support than he tends to get with the Rox, and if he can be effective at Coor's there's no reason he couldn't be equally effective in CBP. Not sure what it would cost to land him, but I really think he's the kind of pitcher the Phils need. I'm not convinced they need a CC Sabathia or Jake Peavy. They really just need a middle of the rotation kind of guy, and preferably a right hander. Oh well, just my two cents worth.
                      Last edited by luvJRoll; 06-14-2009, 10:29 PM.
                      Let's go Phillies!!

Comment

ones thing is for certain like luvjroll said, we need a RHP

Comment

All things being equal, yeah, I'd prefer a righty. That said, I would have said the same thing about left field before the season, and I ain't saying it now. I would have higher standards for a lefty, but if the right one was available at the right price, I would probably take that chance.
                          Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                          Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X