Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Wouldn't Blame Manuel If He Loaded The All-Star Bench & Bullpen With Phillies

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Wouldn't Blame Manuel If He Loaded The All-Star Bench & Bullpen With Phillies

    As National League All-Star Manager, Charlie Manuel has the final say on the makeup of the bench and bullpen who could blame him if he includes a lot of his own Phillies players on the Mid-Summer Classic's roster.
    While Jimmy Rollins, Brad Lidge, and Jayson Werth have practially eliminated themselves from consideration with subpar seasons Manuel has plenty of other Phillies to choose from.
    It appears obvious that Raul Ibanez and Chase Utley are going to be elected by the fans to starting slots. Cole Hamels has struggled. He is the best the Phillies starting rotation has to offer. It's kind of a tossup on him as to his chances. With his injuries this year, perhaps it's better if he was skipped so that he can get more rest.
    That still leaves this list of other Phillies who are enjoying good seasons and deserve some consideration.

    Shane Victorino: Hitting .299, a solid contributor to the Phillies offense and he's a Gold Glove Centerfielder.

    Ryan Howard: Even though he seems to be bent on taking back the season strikeout record he once owned from Arizona's Mark Reynolds, when Howard does make contact, he hits it a ton: 15HR, 42 RBI,.265 B. Avg.

    Pedro Feliz; a human vacuum cleaner at third base, and he's dramatically better with the bat this year, hitting .298.

    Carlos Ruiz: Definitely the soul of the Phillies. Demonstrates captain-like leadership and has overcome an early trip to the disabled List to hit .291.

    Ryan Madson: Unlike Lidge, Madson hasn't faltered this season. One of the best set-up men in baseball, who could Close for a lot of teams. He's 2-1 with a 2.45 ERA.

    Outside chances:
    Clay Condrey: He's gone from a guy who was shuttled back and forth between the Phillies and their then-affiliate, Ottawa in 2007 and barely made the 2008 Opening Day roster, to a solid performer for the bulk of the '08 championship season, to being among the most reliable Phillies' relievers in 2009, going 4-0 with a 2.20 ERA.

    Scott Eyre: 0-1, 2.84, a sentimental pick to make his only all-star game in what is probably his final major league season.

    J.A. Happ: Successful this year in both starter and reliever roles. Happ is 3-0 with a 3.00 ERA.

    -philliesfiend55- (Dennis Orlandini) -
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 06-03-2009, 07:40 AM.

  • #2
    Well, it was good enough of a strategy for Joe Torre.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

    Comment


    • #3
      There's no chance for Madson, Condrey, Eyre or Happ. Guys who fill those roles aren't in the All-Star game. Howard, Ibanez and Utley are solid choices, and if the others keep it up for a few more weeks, they might deserve to be in the mix. I'm betting some either won't keep it up or will be about 4th best in the league at the spot in early July, which would be enough to eliminate them.
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jalbright View Post
        There's no chance for Madson, Condrey, Eyre or Happ. Guys who fill those roles aren't in the All-Star game. Howard, Ibanez and Utley are solid choices, and if the others keep it up for a few more weeks, they might deserve to be in the mix.
        I'd have to strongly disagree with you on Madson. Several "8th Inning Guys" have been selected in recent years. He also picked up a couple of saves when Lidge was not on his game. I'd say if he continues to perform at his current level, until selections are made around the 4th of July, that Madson has a good chance of being selected as an All-Star..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
          As National League All-Star Manager, Charlie Manuel has the final say on the makeup of the bench and bullpen who could blame him if he includes a lot of his own Phillies players on the Mid-Summer Classic's roster.
          While Jimmy Rollins, Brad Lidge, and Jayson Werth have practially eliminated themselves from consideration with subpar seasons Manuel has plenty of other Phillies to choose from.
          It appears obvious that Raul Ibanez and Chase Utley are going to be elected by the fans to starting slots. Cole Hamels has struggled. He is the best the Phillies starting rotation has to offer. It's kind of a tossup on him as to his chances. With his injuries this year, perhaps it's better if he was skipped so that he can get more rest.
          That still leaves this list of other Phillies who are enjoying good seasons and deserve some consideration.

          Shane Victorino: Hitting .299, a solid contributor to the Phillies offense and he's a Gold Glove Centerfielder.

          Ryan Howard: Even though he seems to be bent on taking back the season strikeout record he once owned from Arizona's Mark Reynolds, when Howard does make contact, he hits it a ton: 15HR, 42 RBI,.265 B. Avg.

          Pedro Feliz; a human vacuum cleaner at third base, and he's dramatically better with the bat this year, hitting .298.

          Carlos Ruiz: Definitely the soul of the Phillies. Demonstrates captain-like leadership and has overcome an early trip to the disabled List to hit .291.

          Ryan Madson: Unlike Lidge, Madson hasn't faltered this season. One of the best set-up men in baseball, who could Close for a lot of teams. He's 2-1 with a 2.45 ERA.

          Outside chances:
          Clay Condrey: He's gone from a guy who was shuttled back and forth between the Phillies and their then-affiliate, Ottawa in 2007 and barely made the 2008 Opening Day roster, to a solid performer for the bulk of the '08 championship season, to being among the most reliable Phillies' relievers in 2009, going 4-0 with a 2.20 ERA.

          Scott Eyre: 0-1, 2.84, a sentimental pick to make his only all-star game in what is probably his final major league season.

          J.A. Happ: Successful this year in both starter and reliever roles. Happ is 3-0 with a 3.00 ERA.

          -philliesfiend55- (Dennis Orlandini) -
          Well my picks did come at least partially true. Victorino was added to the roster by the fans in the final player vote and Werth was just added to the N.L. roster to replace the Mets' injured Carlos Beltran, which was definitely Charlie's decision..

          Comment


          • #6
            I lost all respect for Manuel when he chose Werth over Pablo Sandoval.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              I lost all respect for Manuel when he chose Werth over Pablo Sandoval.
              Yea same here, I saw Sandoval in Milwaukee a few weeks ago. This guy is going to be sick, saw him belt 2 HR's in a game (both pitches were barely in the strike zone). Looks like a combination of Prince Fielder and Vladamir Guerrero.
              1901 1957 1958 1981 1982 2008

              19 4 34 44 42

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                I lost all respect for Manuel when he chose Werth over Pablo Sandoval.
                There are two reasons for it:

                1) Hopefully the more important one in Charlie's mind, at least in terms of being NL manager, was that he needed an outfielder because that's what he was replacing. Sandoval is an infielder, Werth an outfielder. I will also note that Werth can play center, having done so when Victorino was out--I don't think the NL has another guy who'd make a decent CF even for a game;

                2) Werth's playing well on Charlie's real job (and happens to be in the position where Manuel has a need, which magnifies the issue), and passing him over might be construed by some as a snub. Of course, Charlie wants to praise the guys who are playing well for him, and naming a guy to the All-Star team fits the bill nicely.
                Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The outfielder for an outfielder makes sense, but Joe Torre didn't lose any respect when he filled his roster with Yankees when he was the AL manager. As a Phillies fan, I'm biased.

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X