Phils turn attention to Cliff Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phils turn attention to Cliff Lee

Phils, Indians in discussions for Lee — 11:58 a.m.

The Phillies are in discussions with the Indians to obtain left-hander Cliff Lee and possibly another player for Class A right-hander Jason Knapp, Class AAA right-hander Carlos Carrasco, shortstop Jason Donald and catcher Lou Marson, according to a major-league source.

The Phillies scratched Class AAA right-hander Carlos Carrasco from his scheduled start on Wednesday, a strong indication that he is about to be traded.
    sigpic"I'm flattered that so many baseball people think I'm a Hall of Famer. But what's hard to believe is how one-hundred and fifty plus people have changed their minds about me since I became eligible, because I haven't had a base hit since then." - Richie Ashburn

Looks like it happened:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...Indians%27-Lee
    RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Venom View Post
      Yeah, I heard it's a done deal! EXCELLENT!!! Good job, Ruben!

Comment

I tip my cap to Ruben on getting this done. No doubt this was his first taste of big pressure at the trade deadline. He passed admirably in my opinion.

Comment

Yeah, I think this is a great deal. We still have Happ and Drabek and Lee's salary is half of Halladays. Plus we got a nice right handed bat off the bench.
          sigpic"I'm flattered that so many baseball people think I'm a Hall of Famer. But what's hard to believe is how one-hundred and fifty plus people have changed their minds about me since I became eligible, because I haven't had a base hit since then." - Richie Ashburn

Comment

Yeah, unless Donald was going to make it as their 3B and Marson as their catcher next year, it's worth it.
            Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
            Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
            A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

The more I thought about this trade the more I liked it. I mean Halladay is a much better pitcher than Lee is, I'm not even going to enter into that debate. But Lee did win 22 games last year, and won the Cy Young. With the kind of run support he'll get in Philly he can't help but win games for us. Not to mention we keep Happ and Drabek and it cost's us half of what Halladay would have. This, in my opinion, was a brilliant move on Ruben's part. We get a legitimate number two for our rotation, don't mortgage the future, or break the bank, and it gives us a ton of options for the pitching staff as a whole. Charlie must be absolutely in glee right now. Way to go Ruben!!
              Let's go Phillies!!

Comment

Originally posted by luvJRoll View Post
                The more I thought about this trade the more I liked it. I mean Halladay is a much better pitcher than Lee is, I'm not even going to enter into that debate. But Lee did win 22 games last year, and won the Cy Young. With the kind of run support he'll get in Philly he can't help but win games for us. Not to mention we keep Happ and Drabek and it cost's us half of what Halladay would have. This, in my opinion, was a brilliant move on Ruben's part. We get a legitimate number two for our rotation, don't mortgage the future, or break the bank, and it gives us a ton of options for the pitching staff as a whole. Charlie must be absolutely in glee right now. Way to go Ruben!!
                Lee may be the number one on our staff, I need to see more from Cole Hamels.

Comment

The Phillies went for the short term success at the risk of giving away players who may become stars in the future. I think the Indians asking price was pretty high. We gave away three Players who were at AAA Lehigh Valley and who were very close to major leagues-ready (INF- Jason Donald, P- Carlos Carrasco & C- Lou Marson. Marson is the only one of the three to briefly appear in the big leagues. The fourth, Jason Knapp is just 19 but throws a lot of heat (94-97 mph fast ball). If he ever learns to harness it, he'll be dangerous.

Comment

The biggest downside is that unless Happ or Moyer leaves the rotation, it's four lefties. That's not ideal, but it can probably be dealt with.
                    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Another good article by David Murphy regarding this trade, the players we gave up, the potential rotation, roster moves and payroll implications.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p..._Lee_deal.html
                      Let's go Phillies!!

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                        Yeah, unless Donald was going to make it as their 3B and Marson as their catcher next year, it's worth it.
                        the catcher and third base positions are not something that needs to be a priority with the other pieces in place at other positions. certainly not something that would hinder an improvement at the top of the rotation for the rest of this year and next year.
                        especially when Donald only has three career games at 3rd base.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                          The biggest downside is that unless Happ or Moyer leaves the rotation, it's four lefties. That's not ideal, but it can probably be dealt with.
                          It doesn't look like Happ is going to go anywhere with his solid performance thus far. Moyer has heated up lately, but I think his disposition and experience put him up for the odd man out. He will handle it best, and he will definitely be professional about the whole thing so if the Phillies need a spot start from him, he will step up. None of this will be needed unless Pedro really steps it up and pitches his way into the rotation. But this is a great problem for the Phillies to deal with, depth in the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by PhanInPhlorida View Post
                            But this is a great problem for the Phillies to deal with, depth in the rotation.
                            Too many solid starting pitchers to fit in the rotation. I am trying to remember the last time we were faced with such a horrific dilemma.

Comment

Originally posted by F1ghtinPhils View Post
                              Too many solid starting pitchers to fit in the rotation. I am trying to remember the last time we were faced with such a horrific dilemma.
                              I agree. It must be a whole lot easier being Jerry Manuel right now
                              Let's go Phillies!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X