Clear All

• TonyStarks
    replied
    Lee sporting the new duds....

Leave a comment:

• PhanInPhlorida
    replied
    Originally posted by Philly-brownsfan View Post
    The price for Lee was very steep (four prospects all rated in the top 10 prospects of the Phillies orgainization by Baseball America, with catcher Lou Marson having some major league experience). If three of the four prospects that the Phillies packaged for Lee turn out to be solid major leaguers, then Cleveland will be the eventual winner in this deal. It may someday be regarded as a deal that helped both clubs.
    The Phillies were asked to give up a lot more than what they gave up. Ruben certainly didn't sell the farm but he did make a move to put the Phillies in contention for the World Series the next two years.

Leave a comment:

• Judway
    replied
    Lee and Grant

I CHARGE you with trying to PICKET a fight. Or are you just STONEWALLING?

Leave a comment:

• tbng
    replied
    Isn't it amazing?

Baseball Fever used to be filled with comments trashing Charlie Manuel. They seem to have vanished. Wonder why? Then, we heard what fools the Phillies' management were for hiring the inexperienced and incompetent Reuben Amaro. Now that he's traded for Lee, suddenly he's a genius. Amazing how success forces the whiners back into their holes, which is where they belong all the time. They should go to the Pirates board. Then they would have something legitimate to whine about.

Now that the Phillies have a pitcher named Lee on the squad, shouldn't they start looking for a catcher named Grant?

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    The price for Lee was very steep (four prospects all rated in the top 10 prospects of the Phillies orgainization by Baseball America, with catcher Lou Marson having some major league experience). If three of the four prospects that the Phillies packaged for Lee turn out to be solid major leaguers, then Cleveland will be the eventual winner in this deal. It may someday be regarded as a deal that helped both clubs.

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    Originally posted by PhanInPhlorida View Post
    the catcher and third base positions are not something that needs to be a priority with the other pieces in place at other positions. certainly not something that would hinder an improvement at the top of the rotation for the rest of this year and next year.
    especially when Donald only has three career games at 3rd base.
    If Marson was good enough to push Ruiz off the starting catcher job and if Donald was good enough to take the job from Feliz (rather than pay him $5M next year), you'd be putting two younger guys on the team, solidifying those spots for years while improving the lineup, and saving money you could use elsewhere. If both those things would happen, then the trade for Lee was quite expensive. I think the Phils didn't believe both would happen, which makes the deal worthwhile. I don't have any great reason to believe both would happen, but if the Phils miscalculated there, they could have seriously overpaid for Lee, and tilted awfully heavily toward lefty starters to boot. In sum, if one assumes the Phils properly evaluated what they gave up, it's a good deal. If they underestimated it, they might regret it someday (remember Bowa and the throw-in Sandberg for DeJesus, anyone?). It's a standard caution when you give up young talent.

OTOH, if Lee helps them win another Series in the next two years and they haven't paid with at least two star players, it won't feel too bad.
    Last edited by jalbright; 07-30-2009, 07:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Buntforahit
    replied
    Originally posted by kjc15600 View Post
    I would assume for now our rotation would be Hamels, Lee, Blanton, Moyer and Happ.

When Pedro is ready to start, Happ back to the bullpen? That is when things get interesting.
    How could they possibly send Happ back to the bullpen and keep Moyer?

Leave a comment:

• kjc15600
    replied
    I would assume for now our rotation would be Hamels, Lee, Blanton, Moyer and Happ.

When Pedro is ready to start, Happ back to the bullpen? That is when things get interesting.

Leave a comment:

• luvJRoll
    replied
    Originally posted by F1ghtinPhils View Post
    Too many solid starting pitchers to fit in the rotation. I am trying to remember the last time we were faced with such a horrific dilemma.
    I agree. It must be a whole lot easier being Jerry Manuel right now

Leave a comment:

• F1ghtinPhils
    replied
    Originally posted by PhanInPhlorida View Post
    But this is a great problem for the Phillies to deal with, depth in the rotation.
    Too many solid starting pitchers to fit in the rotation. I am trying to remember the last time we were faced with such a horrific dilemma.

Leave a comment:

• PhanInPhlorida
    replied
    Originally posted by jalbright View Post
    The biggest downside is that unless Happ or Moyer leaves the rotation, it's four lefties. That's not ideal, but it can probably be dealt with.
    It doesn't look like Happ is going to go anywhere with his solid performance thus far. Moyer has heated up lately, but I think his disposition and experience put him up for the odd man out. He will handle it best, and he will definitely be professional about the whole thing so if the Phillies need a spot start from him, he will step up. None of this will be needed unless Pedro really steps it up and pitches his way into the rotation. But this is a great problem for the Phillies to deal with, depth in the rotation.

Leave a comment:

• PhanInPhlorida
    replied
    Originally posted by jalbright View Post
    Yeah, unless Donald was going to make it as their 3B and Marson as their catcher next year, it's worth it.
    the catcher and third base positions are not something that needs to be a priority with the other pieces in place at other positions. certainly not something that would hinder an improvement at the top of the rotation for the rest of this year and next year.
    especially when Donald only has three career games at 3rd base.

Leave a comment:

• luvJRoll
    replied
    Another good article by David Murphy regarding this trade, the players we gave up, the potential rotation, roster moves and payroll implications.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p..._Lee_deal.html

Leave a comment:

• jalbright
    replied
    The biggest downside is that unless Happ or Moyer leaves the rotation, it's four lefties. That's not ideal, but it can probably be dealt with.

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    The Phillies went for the short term success at the risk of giving away players who may become stars in the future. I think the Indians asking price was pretty high. We gave away three Players who were at AAA Lehigh Valley and who were very close to major leagues-ready (INF- Jason Donald, P- Carlos Carrasco & C- Lou Marson. Marson is the only one of the three to briefly appear in the big leagues. The fourth, Jason Knapp is just 19 but throws a lot of heat (94-97 mph fast ball). If he ever learns to harness it, he'll be dangerous.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X