2012 Phils Trade Deadline Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Phils Trade Deadline Thread

I didn't want to hijack the season thread and thought this deserved its own since this is a pivotal season in looking at the Phils going forward.

We hear the same names as possible moves like Victorino, Blanton, Hamels, etc.

Is there anybody in particular you're looking at for the Phillies to acquire by the end of the month? Do you not think the Phils should sell?

I'll kick it off by saying I'd like to see Cole moved to the Rangers. They have the deepest farm of "needed" position players of any true contender that I see. Profar likely won't move as I think they'll look to either move Michael Young who has just one year left and/or Elvis Andrus who's under a very comfortable contract the next two seasons. They may have to eat some cash for Young as he's aging and still due $16M next year. But Andrus could get them a significant return if they feel Profar's ready for 2013.

But Mike Olt has apparently been asked to maybe switch positions. The Rangers of course love his bat, but Beltre's going nowhere anytime soon as he not only provides above average offense, but he's one of the best defensive players at his position.

I have very little feeling that Cole will sign this latest offer sent by Amaro. He'll get more years on the open market. If they have to move him, Olt would be a great starting point. I'd also like to see Leonys Martin added in as the Rangers seem to find ways not to let him play regularly. Even better is the fact Gentry and Murphy are playing well this year, which could make him [Martin] a bit more expendable.

What ideas do you have? Or do you think '12 is an anomally and you'd prefer to keep all you can and add parts needed? I'd like to see those too, as it is a viable option.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

If a deal with the Rangers is in the works for Hamels then I think the team should definitely try to acquire Mike Olt in return .He's a corner infielder,with power, which is what MLB teams strive to develop. Polanco is a good .300 hitter, but he never hit for much power and in recent years has become more and more injury prone. His option year would likely not be picked up, if he remains with the Phillies through the end of the season. I don't think Michael Young will be moved by Texas. He and Josh Hamilton are the face of the franchise. Where else can you get a designated hitter who hits.300 but who also is not in the "washed up defensively" category. Young can still play anywhere across the infield to give teammates days off when he's not DHing.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
      I don't think Michael Young will be moved by Texas. He and Josh Hamilton are the face of the franchise. Where else can you get a designated hitter who hits.300 but who also is not in the "washed up defensively" category. Young can still play anywhere across the infield to give teammates days off when he's not DHing.
      This is something that I believe many AL teams will move towards. Why simply sign an aging hitter who can only bat when having a player (maybe not as good as Young) who can also relieve other players during the season? The DH in the past has been riddled with guys reaching retirement. Baseball, like most sports can be a copy-cat league. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see half of the AL following Texas' blueprint within the next 5 years.
      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

FOXSport.com's Ken Rosenthal is saying the Phillies are "eager" to move Hunter Pence before the deadline.

I guess with Carlos Quentin and Edwin Encarnacion both reaching extensions with their teams, Pence could be looked at as an option since this year's FAs look rather thin once you get past Josh Hamilton (if he doesn't reach an agreement himself prior to that).

Pence is more than a rental as he'll be under control through 2013 hitting his final arbitration year this offseason. He's making about $10.5M this season, and I'd guess he'll hit about $14M next year.

Comment

Jim Salisbury from CSNPhilly.com is saying teams have inquired about Shane Victorino and Juan Pierre. The Pirates apparently had the most interest in Victorino but they're promoting their #1 outfield prospect tomorrow. The Reds are said to have interest in Pierre.

He also mentions Cliff Lee & Hunter Pence but that the Phils are a bit reluctant to move them right now because of their current winning streak.

Not much on Blanton, but seven of his last games have been quality starts.

David Montgomery believes the team is currently at or over the luxury tax, and trimming salaries may be a necessity. First time offenders pay 17% on the dollar for every dollar over the $178M mark. Second timers pay 30% under the new CBA. The threshold next year is $178M as well and then moves to $189M for 2014-2016.

Comment

Q&A going on right now with Texas-area ESPN radio host. It's just a radio guy, but he's got more contact with the Rangers than anybody here in Philly does of course.

Says Cole was #1 target by the team and among the fanbase. Also says, now that cash becomes an issue for the Phillies, that the fans would welcome Cliff Lee back with open arms, but money might be an issue at the deadline. He was asked if a Cliff Lee trade was to be made during the offseason as opposed to this year's deadline, his response is that it would likely be considered. Either way, money would have to come off Lee's deal and he feels now that Lee is "further down the totem pole" based on what the Rangers are currently looking for. Says Texas is looking right now at Josh Johnson and James Shields because they're a bit more team-friendly in terms of dollars and/or years.

Everybody looking to move a proven arm to Texas is asking for a package of course of Profar and/or Olt.

Comment

Due to the fact that Placido Polanco is reaching the end of his contract and he's had trouble saying healthy and that there is no heir apparent for the Phillies third baseman job in the minors, San Diego's Chase Headley could become a target for GM Amaro Jr.to pursue.
              The Phils have a promising 3B prospect in Cody Asche age 22, .but he was dratfed only in June 2011 out of the Univ. of Nebraska and began this season at Clearwater (High A) and was promoted in June to Reading (AA) .After a slow start at the AA level he's starting to hit, and hit with power. He's still a couple of years away.

Should they engineer a deal for Headley or would having two Chases in the lineup cause too much confusion. If you think that's bad, the Phillies have three minor league pitchers whose first names are all: Austin - Hyatt (AA - READING), BROUGH (HIGH A - CLEARWATER), AND WRIGHT (also HIGH A - CLEARWATER).

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post

Should they engineer a deal for Headley or would having two Chases in the lineup cause too much confusion. If you think that's bad, the Phillies have three minor league pitchers whose first names are all: Austin - Hyatt (AA - READING), BROUGH (HIGH A - CLEARWATER), AND WRIGHT (also HIGH A - CLEARWATER).
                Just think...

1B: Ryan
                2B: Chase
                3B: Chase
                SS: Jimmy
                LF: Laynce
                CF: Shane
                RF: Hunter

Sounds like a frat party at Harvard. Where's Biff?

Comment

With this weekend's meltdown, speculation of multiple players has been at a fever pitch all morning.

Cliff Lee to the Rangers?
                  Hunter Pence to the Giants?
                  Shane Victorino or Juan Pierre to the Reds?
                  Joe Blanton to the Orioles?

Then the other side...

Phillies interested in Cleveland's Shoo.
                  Phils showing interest in Chase Headley.

Gonna be a busy 24 hours for Ruben.

Comment

FWIW...

Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Joe Blanton's medical records have been faxed to the Orioles' orthopedist. (Source: From Twitter via Rotoworld.com)

Could be nothing more than the O's making a simple request, but they and Blanton have been mentioned often today.

Looks like talks between Philly & Texas concerning Cliff Lee fell apart. There was talk that since the Rangers were already discussing a trade for Cole Hamels before he re-signed, that at least the foundation of a move could be done. But it sounds like, for what the Phillies wanted back in return (most likely 3B prospect Mike Olt), they simply weren't willing to eat enough of the $90M+ remaining on Cliff's salary.

Comment

Is there any way the Phillies can foist Kyle Kendrick on the Astros?
                      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                        Is there any way the Phillies can foist Kyle Kendrick on the Astros?
                        Believe it or not, he's probably looked at as too valuable - hence the multi-year deal. He's a typical #5 and with Blanton about gone, along with a narrow margin to work with for luxury tax purposes, Kendrick might be the Phils option as '13s #5... hard as it is for me to wrap my head around.

Just curious though... since you're from Brooklyn, why would you want him in Houston?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                          Just curious though... since you're from Brooklyn, why would you want him in Houston?
                          Mets play the Astros in August, would like to see Mets win. Also, Kendrick was born in Houston.
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

From what it's looking like, the Astros are not taking on any kind of salary this year. They've already dumped pretty much all there is. They're a young team right now that somebody like Dickey can toy with, but the other Mets starters could suddenly find trouble.

Comment

Oswalt absolutely hammered tonight for Texas and clearly isn't the answer. I don't expect the Rangers to call up and just take on Cliff Lee, but dialogue must be reestablished IMO.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X